Why become a member? ×

First attempt of a thru-neck bass

Jimothey

Now my other build has come to a bit of a stand still waiting for parts I thought I’d change the body on my unbranded P Bass which to be honest the body is not in that great condition

I’m going to use all the hardware off the p bass and transplant it into the new body

Heres what I’ve got in mind.......

1BCD5D92-5D76-4201-A19E-61622F14570A.jpeg.fde3271e0d81006e896a2ffb39ed48e1.jpeg

Is it a single cut or is it a modified Thunderbird shape? I don’t really know I just thought it might look good 

(The neck pocket is going to look slightly different to the pic)

Haven’t decided what wood I’m going to make it out of I’ll have a hunt round and see what I can get..........:D

Edited by Jimothey

In the past 60 years luthiers and guitar designers have explored virtually every shape possible. It's going to be really difficult to be completely original.

When Andy and I designed my Psilos Bass we tried to be completely original but inevitably we would use other basses as points of reference, "like the lower horn from.." . I wouldn't be worried if people see similarities or influences from other Basses.

If you're happy that's what's going to matter.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

In the past 60 years luthiers and guitar designers have explored virtually every shape possible. It's going to be really difficult to be completely original.

When Andy and I designed my Psilos Bass we tried to be completely original but inevitably we would use other basses as points of reference, "like the lower horn from.." . I wouldn't be worried if people see similarities or influences from other Basses.

If you're happy that's what's going to matter.

I didn’t think it was an original shape I just couldn’t decide how to describe it whether it was more of a singlecut or a Tbird-ish shape 

I’m not 100% sure about it it’s just a shape I’m playing about with.......

I’m going away from the shape pictured above and going more for a traditional single cut shape with offset waist (heavily influenced by a stunning ACG recurve S type) 

I’m now thinking probably pine core with Walnut burr, Zebrano or Macassar Ebony veneer front and back for a nice contrast

I’ll do a mock-up later to see how it looks......

Edited by Jimothey

Before you veer away too far from the RD type shape, and knowing how you like orange basses, check out this beauty from the Czech Republic. It’s a Jolana Disco Bass and I can’t deny I took a little bit of inspiration from this 😁

4BAAED5D-82A8-457E-8618-DE82A3E1E26F.jpeg

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, BrunoBass said:

Before you veer away too far from the RD type shape, and knowing how you like orange basses, check out this beauty from the Czech Republic. It’s a Jolana Disco Bass and I can’t deny I took a little bit of inspiration from this 😁

4BAAED5D-82A8-457E-8618-DE82A3E1E26F.jpeg

Your right after seeing yours I now I want to do a orange bass but I think I’m going to stick with my idea of a orange telecaster shaped bass which I might do after this build :D

Have you decided on your next build yet?......

Edited by Jimothey

5 minutes ago, Jimothey said:

Your right after seeing yours I now I want to do a orange bass but I think I’m going to stick with my idea of a orange telecaster shaped bass which I might do after this build :D

Have you decided on your next build yet?......

Sounds great 🙂

I’m not entirely sure on the next build, I’ve got loads of ideas! First thing for me is to modify my recently arrived Harley Benton PB-50, but that’s fairly simple stuff and probably doesn’t constitute a build as such.

Here’s the revised shape 

0AA24E82-8086-4B1F-A1C2-DA2A2936D4BD.jpeg.61f366100f69d86911d68faafe98733d.jpeg

I’m not entirely sure how the bolt on neck will work but I’m sure I’ll figure something out O.o

Just in case I doesn’t work out here’s another version 

8224359D-0BDC-4256-BA12-C9F4B919228F.jpeg.390e8731defe65f38c58651771d2c852.jpeg

Edited by Jimothey
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Jimothey said:

Just a quick mock up.......

364B508B-4449-4B0D-A4BD-7D287D6CA29B.thumb.jpeg.798603ddb8eaaf0f42db58d7152f2612.jpeg

I’ve decided it’s definitely going to be a walnut burr top and back with matching headstock and a pine core for contrast......

There are some good functional features and, to my eye, some very pleasing lines :)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

There are some good functional features and, to my eye, some very pleasing lines :)

I really like the shape as well but I can’t take any credit for it as it’s heavily influenced by the ACG recurve S type 

I had my heart on doing a walnut burr veneered top (this is the actual veneer I’m thinking of buying)

3791B703-F66F-44F5-B250-367DD6875B81.jpeg.5a34f17dabcb60a80e3dff6bb060010f.jpeg

But........then I saw these and it threw a spanner in the works now I can’t decide 

Oak burr

84AE4AF3-3E06-4CDB-8BF1-DAC30C61E4BD.jpeg.40434eef89993fb1abe5e2d8a4ead261.jpeg

Macassar Ebony

86D7384D-FC1D-4620-8EC6-D069596BC2D4.jpeg.7fba752014fd47556acb2b97ab6113b3.jpeg

or Black Limba

4E4FB88B-42B3-4429-B75F-B50E6D5B8D36.jpeg.8a934f8f0f26880a5dfd5a8e40a40490.jpeg

Edited by Jimothey

1 hour ago, Jimothey said:

I really like the shape as well but I can’t take any credit for it as it’s heavily influenced by the ACG recurve S type 

I had my heart on doing a walnut burr veneered top (this is the actual veneer I’m thinking of buying)

3791B703-F66F-44F5-B250-367DD6875B81.jpeg.5a34f17dabcb60a80e3dff6bb060010f.jpeg

The range of colours in that walnut is stunning. That's what I'd have.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Hmmmm...I see the quandary 

That Oak burr is quite something!

I really like the Oak and I didn’t know whether it would look better than the Walnut with the rosewood fretboard? 

8 minutes ago, ezbass said:

The range of colours in that walnut is stunning. That's what I'd have.

5 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

I'm with ezbass...a definite conversation piece.

But then your both right aswell the Walnut is stunning!!!! Aaaarrrrrrgggggghhhhhhh!!!!

Edited by Jimothey

2 hours ago, Jimothey said:

I really like the Oak and I didn’t know whether it would look better than the Walnut with the rosewood fretboard? 

But then your both right aswell the Walnut is stunning!!!! Aaaarrrrrrgggggghhhhhhh!!!!

But you know the answer...you're going to have to build two ;)

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

But you know the answer...you're going to have to build two ;)

That’s an idea!!  :biggrin:

I think I’m gonna do the Walnut on this one and maybe do the Oak on a different build later on (I’ve been toying with the idea of doing a variation of a Marleaux Consat style) but after I’ve finished these 3 builds I’m gonna focus all my energy on getting better at playing so I can maybe try and join a band one day!?!......

Edited by Jimothey

• 2 weeks later...

I can’t bring myself to replace the body on this P bass 

5D14C9B3-B3D5-44BF-B597-9405FED8CAE8.thumb.jpeg.e977ef9f478a488f42580a6eab4fb4d1.jpeg

This was the first bass I bought when I decided to start trying to play again 

For a cheap £25 unbranded bass it plays and feels really nice 

So this is now going to be a new build instead I’m going to try and do this as a 5 string thru neck so I’m gonna need some advice when I get round to starting it O.o

Edited by Jimothey
  • Like 1

On 27/05/2018 at 15:09, Jimothey said:

I can’t bring myself to replace the body on this P bass 

5D14C9B3-B3D5-44BF-B597-9405FED8CAE8.thumb.jpeg.e977ef9f478a488f42580a6eab4fb4d1.jpeg

This was the first bass I bought when I decided to start trying to play again 

For a cheap £25 unbranded bass it plays and feels really nice 

So this is now going to be a new build instead I’m going to try and do this as a 5 string thru neck so I’m gonna need some advice when I get round to starting it O.o

I think that's a great plan.  Both the 5 string and the thru neck aspects involve tackling steeper and rockier learning curves and you will come out the other end not only with a great bass but with a significant extra skills under your belt :)

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

I think that's a great plan.  Both the 5 string and the thru neck aspects involve tackling steeper and rockier learning curves and you will come out the other end not only with a great bass but with a significant extra skills under your belt :)

I reckon this one will be quite a long build in comparison to my other ones recently 

I thought it was time to try and do a neck thru, my plan is to use sapele for the neck laminated with a couple of accent lines haven’t decided what to use yet for the accents,  but I really like the feel of the neck on my 5 string ibby so I’m going to use that as a reference.

Im just looking at fretboards at the mo im thinking a Maple one so it’s all not too dark and because the body and neck is predominantly going to be Sapele I’m going to try and get maybe Oak burr or a light coloured veneer like the Macassar Ebony I keep looking at??

Im getting quite excited about this build (and also bricking it at the same time)...........:D

Edited by Jimothey