Why become a member? ×

First attempt of a thru-neck bass

Jimothey

Started veneering the top today using @Andyjr1515 very helpful instructions, the headstock is done and the body is drying 

_20180715_092514.thumb.JPG.3210049059eda565d68590247629d4a2.JPG_20180715_092453.thumb.JPG.1cb1d71495c0e787d674186690b0880f.JPG_20180715_092035.thumb.JPG.09b469d8443b1b9dc047ba01848f65c3.JPG

But now for the last big decision Maple or Ebony fretboard

_20180715_092434.thumb.JPG.b7fdd4d5020854252933e0825813be33.JPG_20180715_092404.thumb.JPG.aadbf4f1db0f74f237a06b9036b3f66d.JPG

Looking at it I'm thinking everyone is right definitely Ebony! 

Also I've been trying a gloss poly finish on a offcut of the veneer here's a comparison of gloss and raw I think that when is done it will look nice and lustrous 😀

_20180715_084627.thumb.JPG.699a694aae8e93e6e7c32d3f94e9d9ae.JPG

Edited by Jimothey
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...

I'm trying to get this build back on track, I'm looking at fretboards at the mo and I've got my eye on a choice of 2 a bubinga one and a wenge one?? 

_20181111_140644.thumb.JPG.8fca5a305494b0a0efab1b9125ac0d59.JPG

_20181111_140705.thumb.JPG.6017ba7457f11be858153effd50a7394.JPG

I'm thinking possibly the Wenge one might look better as it's darker but I really like the Bubinga one aswell

They are pre slotted and radiused which will make my life easier but the only problem is they are only 70mm wide and I need them to be 75mm at the heel so I'm probably going to bind them I was thinking of doing the oak veneer line then sapele to bring it out wide enough which will be easy enough?!?

But the other problem I've got is I made a mistake with the width of the neck at the nut I wanted it to be 45mm but because of removing the little dink caused by the router rocking a little bit it's only 42mm so I'm trying to work out a way that I can make it up to 45mm and so the neck hasn't got a step under the fretboard?? Has anyone got any ideas?? 

Edited by Jimothey

3 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Cool - always handy to know. I haven't built anything for a while but just ordered some Golden Phoebe from china yesterday, so need to make something with it!

Ooohhhh interesting I do really like Gold Phoebe bit out of my price range tho! 

What you got planned with it?? 

11 minutes ago, Christine said:

I like the Bubinga option, How about something like Zebrano for an option?

Yeah I really like the Bubinga I might have to use that on another build! I think a zebrano fretboard might be a bit too much with the veneer on the body....... 😀 

3 hours ago, Jimothey said:

That's cheap I have only seen drop tops for over £100

Where did you get it from? 

eBay as well!

I was watching some for ages, and then he halved the prices on them. There were a couple of pieces that were quite large, with slightly less figuring, so I thought I would get some of that. 

I dont know how I got it so wrong but this is now going to be a 4 string as the neck is 7mm thinner than the 5 string width fretboard 😩

Not the end of the world at least I can still use it for something and it's an excuse to do another one that will be a 5 string (every cloud and all that!!) 😀 

31 minutes ago, Jimothey said:

I dont know how I got it so wrong but this is now going to be a 4 string as the neck is 7mm thinner than the 5 string width fretboard 😩

Not the end of the world at least I can still use it for something and it's an excuse to do another one that will be a 5 string (every cloud and all that!!) 😀 

Reading this thread is such a rollercoaster.

I fully expect your next post to be "whoops, I've made a mistake, this isn't going to be a bass any more, it's going to be a little box for keeping snacks in."

S.P.

• Haha 2

42 minutes ago, Stylon Pilson said:

Reading this thread is such a rollercoaster.

I fully expect your next post to be "whoops, I've made a mistake, this isn't going to be a bass any more, it's going to be a little box for keeping snacks in."

S.P.

It's definitely going to be a bass when I'm finished but I can't guarantee it's not going to end up a uke bass tho!! But please don't forget this is my first attempt so there will be some mistakes made!! 😁 

Edited by Jimothey

30 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Can't they all just bunch up a bit, like my 15mm spacing fireman?

I tried 15mm spacing on my P conversion and I couldn't get on with it, would have been a nice idea tho...... 😀 

With changing it to a 4 string I'm going to have to taper the neck a bit more otherwise the heel will have too much width left either side of the B and G strings and may look odd?? 

The other alternative is to make it into a bolt on neck which I think I've figured out a way to joint the neck to the body cleanly but I'm just feeling a bit disappointed with this build at the mo so I might take it down a completely different route I haven't decided yet I'll get my other build done and decide on this later!?! 😔

30 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Maybe put it to one side while you think about it?

Yeah that's what I'm going to do so not to make any rash decisions, I'll get the other build I'm doing finished first before I decide how to move on with this one.......... 

• 2 months later...

After seeing @Andyjr1515 new thread its got me thinking about my single cut build

I really want it to be a 5 string so here's what I'm thinking to get over the problem.......... 

What if I made a neck jig like @Christine has that fits into the truss rod slot and rout a 3mm ish off each side and then glue some oversized Sapele strips on then make another jig the correct nut width, rout it out then shape the sides of the neck?? 🤔 

• Like 1