Why become a member? Read this.... Read more... ×
Jimothey

Another New Build (First attempt of a 5 string thru-neck)

1 hour ago, TheGreek said:

Ebony board and black hardware...

I'd like to see large contours on the headstock and body contours in line with the modern looking design.

My first thought was an Ebony fretboard but I think Maple will be a nice contrast, 

Maybe you should commission a new build with Andy?

Edited by Jimothey

How thick is that binding and what wood?  I suppose it conceals the end grain view of the laminations.  Nice touch.

Just now, SpondonBassed said:

How thick is that binding and what wood?  I suppose it conceals the end grain view of the laminations.  Nice touch.

It's Oak and its about 0.6mm

Because it runs down the neck aswell I thought it would look better it continuing on to the headstock....... 😀 

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Jimothey said:

It's Oak and its about 0.6mm

Because it runs down the neck aswell I thought it would look better it continuing on to the headstock....... 😀 

It's nice enough.  Did you mention finishes yet?  It should look more deeply grained with a bit of oil or lacquer.

24 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

It's nice enough.  Did you mention finishes yet?  It should look more deeply grained with a bit of oil or lacquer.

I just thought its something a bit different you often see headstock bound with black/white ABS but I haven't seen many with wood veneer

I'm thinking that I'm going to go gloss haven't decided whether to try tru-oil or just wipe on poly it which ever I choose I think it needs a nice deep lustre...... 

• Like 1

How thick is the headstock? Might just be the photos, but it looks similar to the thickness at the top of the neck. If it is too thick you may struggle to fit together normal mini tuners. Cheers

14 minutes ago, Jabba_the_gut said:

How thick is the headstock? Might just be the photos, but it looks similar to the thickness at the top of the neck. If it is too thick you may struggle to fit together normal mini tuners. Cheers

Your right the headstock is a bit too thick I need to thin it down as it's about 20mm at present but it needs to be nearer 15mm, I'm going to try sort that out today......... 

Not much done today I've sorted out the headstock thickness 

_20180625_131229.thumb.JPG.3b53f537ec999635418748035ec7981d.JPG

I've taken the edging off from the side of the neck and headstock in the end I felt it just didn't look right?....... 

I'm definitely going for Black hardware but after @TheGreek's comment about an Ebony fretboard its got me reconsidering the Maple fretboard and going back to my original idea of Ebony? I think both would look good but.......Opinions please Ebony or Maple??? 🤔