Why become a member? ×

First attempt of a thru-neck bass

Jimothey

1 hour ago, TheGreek said:

Ebony board and black hardware...

I'd like to see large contours on the headstock and body contours in line with the modern looking design.

My first thought was an Ebony fretboard but I think Maple will be a nice contrast, 

Maybe you should commission a new build with Andy?

Edited by Jimothey

Just now, SpondonBassed said:

How thick is that binding and what wood?  I suppose it conceals the end grain view of the laminations.  Nice touch.

It's Oak and its about 0.6mm

Because it runs down the neck aswell I thought it would look better it continuing on to the headstock....... 😀 

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Jimothey said:

It's Oak and its about 0.6mm

Because it runs down the neck aswell I thought it would look better it continuing on to the headstock....... 😀 

It's nice enough.  Did you mention finishes yet?  It should look more deeply grained with a bit of oil or lacquer.

24 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

It's nice enough.  Did you mention finishes yet?  It should look more deeply grained with a bit of oil or lacquer.

I just thought its something a bit different you often see headstock bound with black/white ABS but I haven't seen many with wood veneer

I'm thinking that I'm going to go gloss haven't decided whether to try tru-oil or just wipe on poly it which ever I choose I think it needs a nice deep lustre...... 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jabba_the_gut said:

How thick is the headstock? Might just be the photos, but it looks similar to the thickness at the top of the neck. If it is too thick you may struggle to fit together normal mini tuners. Cheers

Your right the headstock is a bit too thick I need to thin it down as it's about 20mm at present but it needs to be nearer 15mm, I'm going to try sort that out today......... 

Not much done today I've sorted out the headstock thickness 

_20180625_131229.thumb.JPG.3b53f537ec999635418748035ec7981d.JPG

I've taken the edging off from the side of the neck and headstock in the end I felt it just didn't look right?....... 

I'm definitely going for Black hardware but after @TheGreek's comment about an Ebony fretboard its got me reconsidering the Maple fretboard and going back to my original idea of Ebony? I think both would look good but.......Opinions please Ebony or Maple??? 🤔 

• 3 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, Pea Turgh said:

I like the pace and number of your threads, @Jimothey

When I read your posts,  for some reason in my head you have a Westcountry accent, but you are based in N. Wales - do you have a Westcountry accent?

I get bored on my lunch breaks and when I haven't got a lot of work on I get time to crack on with the various projects

No I'm an Essex boy but all my family come from East London but I grew up in North Essex so think Towie but not as common!! 😁 

Edited by Jimothey

I've cut the veneer to slightly oversize and just temporarily double sided taped it in place 😁

_20180713_131703.thumb.JPG.d1683dd0ae7178c1faec4150a015738c.JPG

Its going to have black hardware but I'm really liking the look of a light wood fretboard! I think with ebony it might look a bit too monochrome 

Edited by Jimothey

34 minutes ago, Jimothey said:

I've cut the veneer to slightly oversize and just temporarily double sided taped it in place 😁

Are you old enough to remember these words on TV:

"Normal service will be resumed shortly"?

Heeheehee.  I'd go cross eyed looking at that for too long.  What happened at the headstock?

23 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

I'd go cross eyed looking at that for too long.  What happened at the headstock?

I thought the grain was straight when I marked it out but I've got enough to re-cut it, 

So I take it the look isn't to your taste?? Cross eyed!?! Hey I know I could call it 'Tropia' 😁

5 minutes ago, Jimothey said:

I thought the grain was straight when I marked it out but I've got enough to re-cut it, 

So I take it the look isn't to your taste?? Cross eyed!?! Hey I know I could call it 'Tropia' 😁

Striking as it is, I'd have to say that it's not for me with my sight the way it is lately.

I fully approve however.  It's a scheme worth doing well.

13 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

Striking as it is, I'd have to say that it's not for me with my sight the way it is lately.

I fully approve however.  It's a scheme worth doing well.

I like the really striking Basses like this one or my Blue and Orange 5 string conversion I know it's not to everyone's tastes but that's kinda my style (bold and brash) 

Its one of the reason why I brand my Basses under 'Brash' the other is its a mashup of my kids names BRadley and ASHden 😀

Edited by Jimothey

1 hour ago, SpondonBassed said:

It's also a darn good reason to follow your build topics.

Your impressive pace has been mentioned but your flexibility is remarkable too.  Good work.  Great tribute to your boys too.  They'll be proud of that no doubt.

Thanks I like to push myself to try different things some work some don't but hey ho it's all part of life 

Yeah my daughter Ashden has already tried to get me to make her a 3/4 sized electric guitar, she tried to hold my P Bass but bless her she couldn't reach past the 7th fret (she is only 9 tho) 😀

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jimothey said:

Its going to have black hardware but I'm really liking the look of a light wood fretboard! I think with ebony it might look a bit too monochrome 

Ooooh - fancy!  Very striking.

You could also stain it...an ebony board would look pretty classy...

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Ooooh - fancy!  Very striking.

You could also stain it...an ebony board would look pretty classy...

I don't think I'm going to stain it I like the white-ish and black, I've been looking at ebony boards and I'm still completely undecided to go light or dark but luckily I can't afford to buy the fretboard till the end of the month so I've got a few weeks to decide 🤔

34 minutes ago, Jimothey said:

Thanks I like to push myself to try different things some work some don't but hey ho it's all part of life 

Yeah my daughter Ashden has already tried to get me to make her a 3/4 sized electric guitar, she tried to hold my P Bass but bless her she couldn't reach past the 7th fret (she is only 9 tho) 😀

Do you know?  I wondered if I ought to have checked whether Ashden was a girl's name.  They've both got something in tribute in any case.  Respect.