Why become a member? ×

Schroeder/Markbass setup - blown away!

pantherairsoft

Over the years I’ve had a lot of gear, from huge rigs to tiny micro ones. After a long long break from playing live I needed to get a rig together for a reunion gig with my old alt rock band. On a budget, I spent a couple of months waiting for the right stuff and finally (after oodles of research) settled on a 1st gen Schroeder 1212L and an old Markbass SD800.

Both discontinued items but a pairing which has been reported to work well together (there’s a thread on talkbass pretty dedicated to using these 2 together), will fit in my tiny car and I can load in, along with a bass and small pedal board in 1 go.

First full rehearsal tonight - BLOWN AWAY. For all the times I’ve read that the Schroeder 1212L lacks bottom end, I’m shocked by how tight and punchy it sounds on a low A! This rig totally cuts through (if not crushes) 2 heavily distorted 4x12 guitar rigs and is only knee height.

seriously impressed. Tight, punchy and surprisingly full sounding. The dispersion on that cab is incredible.

FF19956F-385F-487B-9BF2-CFFFF4B8F3E0.jpeg

• Like 1

I used a LMIII and a 1515L for a good while, and that was a really good combination: I kept the 1515L for longer than the LMIII, and it did a great job with many different heads. Just a superbly practical cab in a band mix: not an attractive tone on its own, but it sat superbly well with the rest of the band. And for such a tiny cab, it could really project: we gigged up in Scotland in a club with a resident engineer, and at one point I saw him fiddling with a slider, looking puzzled. He came over and asked me if I could remember what channel he'd put me on, as he was trying to turn the bass down a bit. Then I reminded him he hadn't put me through the PA... :biggrin:

I'm struggling to remember why I sold it now... O.o

• Like 1

I ran a LMII and a 1212r for years, never once struggled to get a great sound or an absolute ton of volume. Just seemed to fit perfectly in whatever mix I was in without any effort at all and definitely a pairing which is more than the sum of it's parts.

• Like 1

I used a first gen 1215 and a first gen 1212L (not together) with my Markbass heads for years. They really are a match made in heaven. These were the only cabs ive owned that i had  100% confidence in that they would be loud enough for any gig. 

Over that time i tried other cabs but none seemed to be as good as the Schroeder’s. Even now, with a totally different rig I dont have the same confidence. 

I had a couple of Schros, a 21012 with the 12 being angled, and a 410. The 21012 was bassier and seemed to project the sound everywhere, the 410 was a tighter sound but still projected well. The "famed" mid-bump was there on both, meaning they really worked in the mix. Strange cabs really, on their own, and especially at low volume I didn`t think that much to them but once in a band setting, well that`s where they really came alive.

• Like 1

I've been using a Schroeder 1212L for over 2 years. It's capable of being incredibly loud for a cab of its size. I've got it paired with an Aguilar TH 350

I must admit it's taken some time to like this set up, but I've found a tone now that really works. I've tried the cab with an Ashdown ABM and that sounded good, so if I were to change either it'd be the amp not the Schroeder cab. I've been toying with a Markbass amp recently, just haven't got the funds.

• Like 1

I really like Marbass heads (which is why I own too many of them!) because they are pretty neutral and really let your playing technique and bass come through (not always good). I notice your EQ settings are pretty much flat and filters off, which is where I end up on 99% of my gigs. I'm sure from everything I read that Schroeders are brilliant cabs but I also know that at stage volumes (where it counts most for me) those larger format Markbass heads really come alive.

Edited by Sparky Mark
Spelling mistake
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sparky Mark said:

I notice your EQ settings are pretty much flat and filters off, which is where I end up on 99% of my gigs. I'm sure from everything I read that Schroeders are brilliant cabs but I also know that at stage volumes (where it counts most for me) those larger format Markbass heads really come alive.

They do. I found the filters to be largely redundant when gigging, or you tend to disappear  in the mix. Can't help but think the filters are there to make the amps sound good in the shop and at home... ;) Also Markbass sound great with the EQ flat, or at least at 12 o'clock, so have that 'plug and play' capability. Obviously modern customers don't want to be spending too much time thinking about things, they just want to switch on and be done. :D

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Marvin said:

I've been using a Schroeder 1212L for over 2 years. It's capable of being incredibly loud for a cab of its size. I've got it paired with an Aguilar TH 350

I must admit it's taken some time to like this set up, but I've found a tone now that really works. I've tried the cab with an Ashdown ABM and that sounded good, so if I were to change either it'd be the amp not the Schroeder cab. I've been toying with a Markbass amp recently, just haven't got the funds.

I kind of wish you'd said 'I don't like this set up, give me my money back!' Then at least I'd still have the 1212L!! :facepalm:

• Haha 2