Why become a member? ×

Accidents will happen

Quilly

Once I let a musicman stingray fall over and the neck slammed against a table corner leaving a pretty bad dent on the corner of the fretboard. Anyone else have a mishap with their gear. Spill a pint on their SVT etc.

37 minutes ago, skidder652003 said:

spilt a pint of Shandy (hey I was driving right?!!!) straight off a table onto my pedal board, ruined a markbass compressore, managed to save my DHA VT 2, just before a gig,  had to go direct into my Ampeg, sounded exactly the same if not better!

More than one lesson learned there then! Could end up saving you money in the long run that one...

• Haha 1

When I was 15 I bought a fender musicmaster. I really had no idea what I'd got but I loved it and started running around the house playing pop punk basslines. I got carried away and ran into a door. The door handle gouged a bit horrible chunk out of it... Still, I'll be able to identify it when I finally get the chance to buy it back!

• Haha 1

A well meaning friend who’d come to see us play decided to help load out and picked up our guitarists case which was lying flat on the ground. Unfortunately our guitarist hadn’t yet clipped the clasps shut, the case opened as it was lifted and out fell the Les Paul, broke a machine head and dinged the edge of the body. Guitarist unimpressed. 

A guitarist friend of mine moved out of home and his dad 'threw' his 'ancient' amp out into a damp shed to make room in the house. That 'ancient ' amp was a 1965 fender bandmaster. I found out about its fate about 5 years afterwards and tried to rescue it. Unfortunately every perishable paper based component was completely ruined. Such a sad fate. I remember how sweet it sounded.

1 hour ago, bubinga5 said:

There was a guy on BC years ago, that had Julian Crampton's old F Bass, and as I recall, he said it fell out of his boot on the motorway (in a hardcase), got run over, snapped the neck. 

George Harrison's Gretsch met a similar fate...

https://www.beatlesbible.com/1965/12/02/george-harrison-gretsch-guitar-destroyed/ 

Many years ago I was distracted by someone calling my name as I was removing my bass (a 80's MIJ Vox - very heavy) and I clouted myself in the face with the top horn knocking myself out in the process.  Oh how they laughed!  The bass was entirely unharmed.  At the same gig, the drummer's stool worked it's way backwards (he thought the kick drum was moving forwards) and he fell off the back of the stage so at least I got something to laugh at too.

Had just got a new Spector Euro and took it to rehearsal. Put it on a stand and drummer knocked over one of his cymbal stands which fell straight onto the edge of the body making a thru lacquer to wood gouge below the bridge :(

Used to play with a guitarist who was a real stoner. He used to bring his US Les Paul to gigs in a large 'bag for life' -style carrier bag.

Enquiring why, it emerged that he had put the guitar (in it's case ) behind his car after a gig, got in car, completely forgot that he'd just put his guitar......well, crunch! Guitar lived, case didn't. Clearly shouldn't have been driving either.

I can vouch for the very thin nitro finishes on the AV series Fenders. Had mine about a week, when leaning over and doing something on the laptop, bass literally touched it's edge.....one deep imprint! :(

Done a gig in dorking last weekend, keyboardist left his pointy edged stand leaning up against a circular shelf around a column.muggings here turned around,nudged it slightly and it fell and smashed on of his keys to bits! (Keyboard was in a soft case on floor) luckily after a while he got over it and actually played a blinder on said synth! Said nxf time I’ll bring a hammer and bolster and tap a few more if it gets the best out of him!! :-) 

• Haha 1

I had a really nice JJ jewel, which I used at work to take soul band rehearsals. It had got knocked over once before and had a hairline crack around the neck pocket. One day we were working on ‘performance’ and they decided I should demonstrate the Pete Townsend leap I was on about, which I promptly did. Upon landing, I felt the strings go slack and the body drop, which I caught. Looking down the neck was completely separated from the body. I put the dismembered guitar on the floor and the trumpet player asked me ‘Is it dead sir?’ When I confirmed i thought it indeed was he picked up his instrument and played the last post as solemnly as he could manage, the cheeky begger. 

• Haha 4

On 04/05/2018 at 12:47, Bassalarky said:

Many years ago I was distracted by someone calling my name as I was removing my bass (a 80's MIJ Vox - very heavy) and I clouted myself in the face with the top horn knocking myself out in the process.  Oh how they laughed!  The bass was entirely unharmed.  At the same gig, the drummer's stool worked it's way backwards (he thought the kick drum was moving forwards) and he fell off the back of the stage so at least I got something to laugh at too.

On 04/05/2018 at 09:52, dave_bass5 said:

Not gear, but when our singer fell off the side of the stage at one gig i couldn't stop laughing for the rest of the song.

Worth considering a joint venture? Maybe as 'the Disappearing'? xD

Edited by Al Krow
  • Haha 1

On my MIM Lake Placid Blue's first ever gig we were squeezed into a corner of a tiny pub.

There wasn't even room for my guitar stand, so a put the bass behind the speaker stand.

Unfortunately, it had those retractable metal feet which took a bit of a chunk out of the paintwork.

Fortunately, it was on the upper body contour at the rear of the bass so it coudnt be seen.

poop.jpg

18 hours ago, Bluewine said:

I dropped my yellow MIJ Fender P face first  onto asphalt.

Small ding on the side of the body. No big deal 

Blue

FB_IMG_1514041503592.jpg

Is that a stock colour or a refinish? Either way it looks great.

My goto Jazz bass had a small ding on the front near the control plate. No idea how it got there. Touched it up with black gloss wood paint and its virtually gone unless i'm specifically looking for it.

I have a sneaky feeling it may have been when a guitarist turned round and clipped it with his head stock but to be honest can't remember and have never accused anyone incl myself.

Dave