Why become a member? ×

*SOLD* Trace Combo 7215 GP7 300W 1993 PRICE DROP: *£125*
£150

*SOLD* Trace Combo 7215 GP7 300W 1993 *£125*

A rarity this, it's the wide-bodied variant (with the bigger enclosure, air vents and single rear port) made in 1993 (pre-Gibson era) which means it's one of the very last Series 6 combos ever produced. It's rated at 300W (with extension cab) and 180 - 200W using the internal driver (the stock 15" Trace/Celestion job). The myth is that Trace watts are somehow louder than other watts - I can tell you that it's absolutely true, this combo is punishingly loud and you won't want for power or headroom in any situation. The power stage is seemingly bulletproof and the amount of pure slam on tap is more like a large all-valve amp than a solid-state combo. This 'compact solution' was made way before lightweight gear became the norm, and it is relatively chunky. But the fitted castors go a long way to offset its mass and the two side handles make it easy to lift into a vehicle. Just don't try to take it on a plane as a carry-on item. :)

It's in a very reasonable and clean condition given its twenty-five years of service. There are the usual bumps, dings and scuffs that you'd expect (see pics), but nothing major and certainly nothing structural. All knobs and controls are present and correct and everything works as it should. These were built to a high standard and made to last. In general it's thought that Trace gear has its own baked-in tone, and there is something in that, but I found persistence and patience with the graphic EQ can produce pretty much any tone you could want, from urgent rock to an almost B15-type Motown warmth - especially if you cut and not boost the EQ to preserve that circuit's headroom. Modern amps seem to be designed to sound good with all controls set flat, but some just don't seem to have the same sonic options that are available here. Very small adjustments to the graphic can make a big difference, and time spent with the Trace EQ is very well-spent. This combo may be getting on a bit, but it's still Pro gear and makes for a useful and very reliable gigging tool.

Internally it's all very clean and bright with no obvious wear, burn evidence or any other anomaly. In fact it looks like it was put together yesterday. Way to go, Tony! It's proper kit. Obviously I won't be posting it - the combo is located in south east London close to the A205 South Circular. I'm sure I could get more for it on the Bay, but I thought I'd list it here first and see if there are any takers. I paid £150 and would like to get £125 for it. So if you want some early 90s non-Class D heft for very little money, get in! :)

Front.jpg

517Back.jpg

PanelLeft.jpg

PanelCentre.jpg

PanelRight.jpg

d7bBackPanel.jpg

Castor.jpg

Handle.jpg

Port.jpg

TCInterior.jpg

TCDate.jpg

TCPower.jpg

TCInput.jpg

NOW SOLD. I thank you! :)

Edited by discreet
  • Like 1

On 03/05/2018 at 11:09, Happy Jack said:

£150? It's worth that just for the original knobs...

Thanks, Jack. Played it for most of the day yesterday... for the money it's a ridiculous amount of pro amp. I've got a feeling it may go the way of the TNT160 in that I'll probably keep it! Way to start a vintage combo shop... 9_9

Edited by discreet

9 minutes ago, dr.harry said:

I still gig my narrower version regularly. Not quite sure why anyone would want anything more. GLWTS.

Thanks. :) You're right. I've just bought a Rumble 500 Combo. The Trace can do everything the Rumble can do sonically, and more.... but the Rumble is far less likely to burst my scrotum. O.o

Edited by discreet

On 04/05/2018 at 18:02, Happy Jack said:

I don't know what you were smoking when you took those first two photos, but save some for me...

Will do, Jack. :D Actually, the weird pics are due to the mass of the Trace. It has an effect on the local space-time continuum and this can be picked up with a digital camera. If it were only a few grammes heavier it would actually disappear entirely and reappear in a parallel universe. Or something. :crazy:

Edited by discreet
  • Haha 3

On 5/6/2018 at 14:20, discreet said:

Will do, Jack. :D Actually, the weird pics are due to the mass of the Trace. It has an effect on the local space-time continuum and this can be picked up with a digital camera. If it were only a few grammes heavier it would actually disappear entirely and reappear in a parallel universe. Or something. :crazy:

The rear port is in fact a black hole.

Great amps. GLWTS.

• Like 1

BUMP!

OK, I'll go down to £125, but that's it! If it doesn't sell, I'm keeping it! :P

£125 is a bargain for the head alone!

Also... happy to deliver within the M25 area, or perhaps further. If it's not too much further...

Edited by discreet

Someone buy this please - before I get into trouble with the missus... but having said that, are you in the market for any trades against this?

GLWTS though. To anyone still wondering, this is so ridiculously well priced… and 300 Trace watts will cover most jobs easily. Go on someone, get some green in your life!

1 hour ago, b7l4s said:

Someone buy this please - before I get into trouble with the missus... but having said that, are you in the market for any trades against this?

GLWTS though. To anyone still wondering, this is so ridiculously well priced… and 300 Trace watts will cover most jobs easily. Go on someone, get some green in your life!

Think I may have saved you from your other half's wrath.

Having said that, this is going to be very hard for me to "slip past" discreetly. 

• Rich locked this topic