Why become a member? ×

How important is the band name for you?

1 hour ago, Cato said:

A couple of weeks later a mate asked me about the festival and I found myself saying  ' Slaves were amazing'

The pub didn't go quiet, nobody else heard.

But that's the kind of band name that, when referenced in conversation and overheard in passing, could lead to some serious misunderstandings.

I once received a text from a number not in my contacts it read...

Have put up the tent, despite the rain and found a slave.

• Haha 1

On 20 May 2018 at 02:24, Dad3353 said:

Striptease with a '666' twist..? o.O

O.o I was once in a goth band called Striptease. We used to play around Brighton quite often in the mid 80s and occasionally would get a dirty-raincoat-wearing punter standing at the back looking bemused and a tad disappointed. :D

One band name that will forever stick in my mind from the days of checking out the gig listings in Melody Maker is.... BUM GRAVY. Not one of mine, I hasten to add!

I tried some fruitier prompts and got these results. 

No help I know but there you go :D

Twisted Friday
C.O.C.K.
pink torpedo Metal
Alice's Midnight Wronguns
The Twisted Wronguns's Club
Alice Wonder
Perverted Blue Day
Aliceatron
No Rest For the Wronguns
Undercover pink torpedo and the Perverted Thighs
The Twisted Service
Sixtyninedust
Purely Blue
Alice and the Wronguns
Sixtynine Goats
pink torpedo Attack
Bathtub Pumping
Cockback
Pumping Thighs
Sixtynine Pumping Iced Goats
Teenage Perverted Blue Thighs
Pumping at the Disco
pink torpedo, Thighs and Goats
The pink torpedo Sisters
A Box of Thighs with Blue pink torpedo
Beyond Soho
Twilight of the pink torpedo Gods
pink torpedo of the Twisted Thighs
Twisted Goats Dream
This pink torpedo

All of the bands I've been in over the years have had universally sh*t names... Agonised over band names for weeks as kids and still ended up with something rubbish.

*Also I haven't been here for ages, have we stopped moaning about how much stuff weighs and resolved which bass is best for metal yet? :|

25 minutes ago, CamdenRob said:

...*Also I haven't been here for ages, have we stopped moaning about how much stuff weighs and resolved which bass is best for metal yet? :|

Yes, mid-September. Sorry you missed it. :|

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Just though I'd revive this thread instead of starting a new one because it's nice to see I'm not the only one struggling to name a band. I've come up with several, what I thought we good names, only to find after a bit of Google Fu they've been taken. Even "Monday Club" which was in the running for a while has been had by someone on this very forum. 

We're a five piece rock/ pop / blues covers band with a female singer and we're hoping to start gigging in a couple of months time,  but we also have the added complication that we're all English people living in Bulgaria, so the name has to be something that, at the very least can be understood and pronounced (although not necessarily directly translated) in both languages. 

Brain racking continues. 

My son formed his first band in Year 9/10 (so 13 or 14 years old boys) at his school. The lads also, coincidentally played golf in the junior section at our local golf course. When they were casting around for band names I suggested "Queens of the Greens".

Strangely they chose not to use it.

5 hours ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

...We actually call it the Monday Club. None of the other 6 have any relevance. 

Our group would rehearse at the singer's place, 'La Daubelière', so we became 'The Daub'z'. He's moved since, several years ago now, and we now rehearse at our home. We've retained the name 'The Daub'z', though, despite it no longer being relevant. 'Friday Club' is as good a name as any other, relevant or not (well, the relevance would be that the name 'Monday Club' was taken, so there is a tale to tell, just the same...).

5 hours ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

True enough. But the band formed out of a group of friends who meet up for a few beers every Monday night. We actually call it the Monday Club. None of the other 6 have any relevance. 

How about "Tomorrow's Tuesday" - still about Monday but doesn't actually say so.

Plus it should thoroughly baffle the locals!

• Like 1

6 years now. 6 years with the name Dirt Monkey. Can't pretend I don't feel like an absolute divot any time someone asks what we're called.

The other band is called The White Line, which is an Oasis reference and fits the mod/indie vibe pretty well so I can't complain about that one.

I maintain a list of names I like, half of them are sci-fi or fantasy references which I'll never use as they'd have to be for a metal band. The other half come from my day job, which is as a youth worker and science communicator. When talking about age gaps in relationships, a 16 year old woman said to her friend (who had said she'd consider a much older man) "Well that's fine for you Bethany if you have that daddy kink but I don't". Next band is definitely being called Daddy Kink.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ahpook said:

I was watched an old Open University maths programme the other day and I came up with

"Allan Solomon and The New Integration"

I may have to form a band just to use that name :)

Sounds like a slightly more politically correct Black and White Minstrels dance troupe.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

True enough. But the band formed out of a group of friends who meet up for a few beers every Monday night. We actually call it the Monday Club. None of the other 6 have any relevance. 

Beers on Monday? The Monday Night Crew*?

*or "Crúé" depending on your leanings toward glam-metal...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

The Real Monday Club..?

The Original Monday Club..?

The Best Monday Club..?

The Other Monday Club..?

The Pukka Monday Club..?

The One And Only Monday Club (Beware Of Imitations...)..?

Club Monday..?

... :|

If You Like A Lot of Chocolate on Your Biscuit, Join Our (Monday) Club...?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

The Real Monday Club..?

The Original Monday Club..?

The Best Monday Club..?

The Other Monday Club..?

The Pukka Monday Club..?

The One And Only Monday Club (Beware Of Imitations...)..?

Club Monday..?

... :|

I've actually been toying with Monday Rules. Because we have a no politics and no religion rule. We also later added preamps to the banned list because one of the lads is a bit of an anorak and it got a bit boring. 😂

• Haha 1