Why become a member? ×

How important is the band name for you?

Currenty thinking of names for the new band, and I came up with Phoney Iommi.  Unfortunately we are not a Sabbath tribute, and I discover Phony (sic) Iommi is the name of the guitarist in a tribute band called Children of the Gravy.  😀

• Haha 1

I can't work out whether that's brilliant or terrible!

Have they any connection to a group by the name of McSabbath? I've vague memories of a terrifying video of four people dressed up as McDonald's characters with guitars; the lead singer being dressed as Ronald McDonald and singing "I have frying pan, (something-something-something)" to the tune of Iron Man...

Yeah, it's important alright. There's a band here in the NW that call themselves 'Touching Cloth'. Now, I'm sure they're great and everything but I wouldn't go anywhere near. Contrariwise, 'The Johnny Friendlies' would have to be pretty terrible for me to write 'em off.  ' Vincent Black Lightning' sound like the kind of people I could spend an evening with whereas 'Eye of the Tiger', say, or' Gypsies Kiss' would put me right off.

I like a bit of definite article myself - The Cheating Hearts, The Mighty Revelators, The Hiding Magpies - y'all get the idea. Atomic Rooster kind of of break my rule but I get round that by referring to them as 'The Rooster' at all times.

I once got offered the bass chair in a band and accepted on the condition they changed their name. There was a short pause on the other end of the line, if I recall, but given that the band were called Rockers Revenge at the time the feller soon saw sense and acquiesced.

I guess in the end it's the fine line between clever and stupid.