Why become a member? ×

How important is the band name for you?

12 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

I was about to audition for a band over ten years ago. I'd seen an ad on party sounds, I think. They talked a good game and said they'd done European tours, went on about welcoming people in and being open minded and accepting and so on... So I'm thinking that's great, they aren't expecting a session pro. So I look up the band name to try and find evidence of this European tour.... The only musically related online article I found was a blog by a musician. Long story short and unbeknownst to me, the band name was a coded way of asking a man you don't know if he is a homosexual. Being a younger and less open minded chap I politely declined the audition saying I don't think I'm the right fit for them. When they asked why I revealed I had just found out what the band name meant and I don't think I'd be comfortable being in that band and made some joke about being from a northern backwater town. I received back a lecture on my small mindedness and how places don't make people.... The whole thing was a very bizzare experience and left me feeling puzzled and slightly ashamed, though I was only ever polite to the person I interacted with.

During the mid 90s I lived with a girl who was a music student at Surrey Uni and MDing for a musical theatre company in her spare time. The term "friends of Dorothy" came up a lot among the cast and crew.

10 years on and I'm in a new band and we're all sitting around brainstorming ideas for the band name. The singer suggests we do something Wizard of Oz related, I said friends of D and everyone said great, that's it. I then explained the term, sudden drop off in interest in the room!

We went with Fly Monkeys, Fly! in the end and Friends of Dorothy became the name of one of our tunes. Sounds like the name was taken anyway 😁

7 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

That's a pretty awesome band name.

I know.

We were a pretty awesome band with some awesome tunes but if you find our MySpace page (if that still exists?!) You'll see we all dressed like accountants on holiday, not a good look.

A lot of Southampton bands from 10 years ago had great names so you needed one to be on the 'scene'

12 hours ago, Stylon Pilson said:

The main motivator, in my opinion, to having a unique band name, is searchability.

Aye. A pet peeve of mine ever since I worked hard trying to find promising rock band Pope, and before I'd found them online they'd changed their name to that of a Doors album title (don't remember which one right now).

Start searching for "pope" or Doors album titles!
I shake my head in disbelief.

Edited by BassTractor

9 hours ago, BassTractor said:

Aye. A pet peeve of mine ever since I worked hard trying to find promising rock band Pope, and before I'd found them online they'd changed their name to that of a Doors album title (don't remember which one right now).

Start searching for "pope" or Doors album titles!
I shake my head in disbelief.

I remember trying to buy an album by "the music" back in the early 2000s. Their single "take the long road and walk it" was great, I thought at the time, but there was no way in heck to find their album

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, tonyquipment said:

Not important at all. Don’t judge a band by its name lol 

Oh it is. And yes we do. I still remember when "All Day Breakfast" supported "All You Can Eat For £3.50". There was nearly a riot of hungry pensioners.

That's a good band name actually - "Riot of Hungry Pensioners" 👍

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, Ricky 4000 said:

Oh it is. And yes we do. I still remember when "All Day Breakfast" supported "All You Can Eat For £3.50". There was nearly a riot of hungry pensioners.

I have never looked up the lyric to the Kaiser Chiefs' I Predict A Riot, but I can only assume that this is what they were singing about.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Ricky 4000 said:

Sad Mondays

but with Shaun Ryder on a massive comedown 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tonyquipment said:

Sad Mondays

but with Shaun Ryder on a massive comedown 

Ironically Happy Mondays would be the perfect name for us, if it hadn't already been taken by a band I'm not very keen on from Manchester.

Another tenuous link is that in Bulgarian "Bez" means without. 

The perfect name for a man without any discernible talent. 

Edited by Newfoundfreedom
Self moderation
  • Haha 1