Why become a member? ×

How important is the band name for you?

My (drummer) son's first band were "The Trolls of Fortune" (20+ years ago, long before "troll" meant what it does now), which I still love, but wouldn't work now. (Btw they evolved - without him - into The Cadillac Three.)

My ex-band took most of the 6 months i was with them to agree a name, which was a good indication of the lack of community. They settled on "The Late Bus", which prompted me to write a song called "When the Wheels Come Off the Late Bus" (I actually think it's a good song, a blues/gospel take-off from "This Train".) Prophetic, as they collapsed completely soon after I left, without ever playing a gig.

I'm now playing in the Plastic Mojo Band, a name which I suggested just as an in-joke to poke fun at ourselves as a blues band, but the others share my slightly warped sense of humour and insisted on going public with it :-)

There were two pieces of graffiti in my old home town one on a car park sign that just said Slag Bonce and another piece of random writing on a wall that just said President You Slags.

Slag Bonce Car Park

President You Slags

...I will be in band with one of those names one day.

It works best if the fields are fed with appropriate terms for one's own band, which will 'guide' the random process towards something linked to the band. Simply letting it do any 'random' generation is fun, too, of course, but if a 'blues' influence is important, put some 'bluesy' terms in there. Here's what it came up wit when I fed in Jus Lukin's details...

Five Times Blues
And Other Band Name Ideas
Five Times Blues
Justin's Midnight Bluesmen
The Quality Bluesmen's Club
Justin Talent
Blues Deep Blue Day
Between the Players and Me
Lord of the Blues Lions
Blues Dream and a Pinch of Experience
Justin's Quality Experience
The Quality Players
Players Five
Flight of the Deep Blue Lions
Undercover Experience and the Blues Players
Sussex Panic
School of the Five Lions
Purely Deep Blue
Five Lions
Rubbish Sussex Lions
The Playing Blues Bluesmen
Bathtub Playing
Playing Players
Five Playing Iced Lions
Puddle of Experience
Blues Blues Blues
Super Blues Lions
Experience, Players and Lions
Les Players
Experience Army
Experience Failure
Allo Players
Why Lions, Why?
The Kind of Songs Flight of the Players might record

Sussex State of Mind
try it with Rap Generator
Our Blues Experience Love
try it with Love Song Generator
Our Friday Lions
try it with Freestyle Song Generator
This Love is Blues But It's Quality
try it with Taylor Swift Song Generator
If I was your Blues Experience
try it with Justin Bieber Song Generator
Master Of Sussex
try it with Metal Song Generator

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, leschirons said:

Usually, anything humorous name-wise, puts me off immediately. I've turned down joining bands due to them having a jokey name.

Quite right, too. How can you expect people to take you seriously if you're clearly not serious yourself?

8 minutes ago, discreet said:

Quite right, too. How can you expect people to take you seriously if you're clearly not serious yourself?

It's a useful get-out clause, though (or get-out claws if the lions are involved)

Edited by FinnDave

8 minutes ago, discreet said:

We're serious about playing - together - as well as we can, but we're not po-faced about it and we don't pretend to be better than we are. We're a cheerful good-time blues band, peeps can see that we're having fun and not above poking fun at ourselves, and they like it.

Depends what you mean by "serious" I guess...

13 minutes ago, discreet said:

It's not about taking anything seriously. I wouldn't be in a band if it wasn't fun. It's probably just that every jokey band name I've come across seems to have been conceived by the one member who "thinks" he's funny, but in reality, is just an annoying knob.

38 minutes ago, josie said:

We're serious about playing - together - as well as we can, but we're not po-faced about it and we don't pretend to be better than we are. We're a cheerful good-time blues band, peeps can see that we're having fun and not above poking fun at ourselves, and they like it.

Depends what you mean by "serious" I guess...

Sounds very much like a couple of the bands I'm in, one even has 'good time blues-rock band' prints in the business cards.

Taking it seriously (for me) means turning up on time, with the necessary gear and knowing what we're going to play. It definitely doesn't exclude having fun while playing!

Edited for an addition : Taking it seriously not only means turning up on time, it should also include being in a fit state to play the gig, not incapacitated by drink and/or drugs (like some guitarists and drummers I could name, I'm afraid!)

Edited by FinnDave
  • Like 1

One of the best gigs I've been to in the last couple of years was these guys at the Godiva festival in Coventry.

A couple of weeks later a mate asked me about the festival and I found myself saying  ' Slaves were amazing'

The pub didn't go quiet, nobody else heard.

But that's the kind of band name that, when referenced in conversation and overheard in passing, could lead to some serious misunderstandings.

Edited by Cato