Why become a member? ×

How important is the band name for you?

32 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

Tis true. There is a band round my way that goes by the name of Electric craddock. If anything it gets them noticed!

EDIT: No Mr Profanity Filter, not Electric Craddock - Electric F4NNY!

Electric craddock was much more surreal :D

32 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

Tis true. There is a band round my way that goes by the name of Electric craddock. If anything it gets them noticed!

34 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

So was that bug that helped me post 3 times. Got a notification that someone had replied to the thread and the editor didn't disappear like usual when I posted

Edited by Norris

On 5/3/2018 at 16:24, kyuuga said:

Now that we're on this topic I''d like to ask a question...

My band is thinking of naming themselves "Funky Monks". What do you guys think of the name? Does it appeal to you? Keep in mind we don't exactly play only Funk, we kind of blend multiple genres of Rock into our music. Mostly Alternative/Funk Rock though.

I believe there was a funk/punk band in Essex called Funky Monks once upon a time...

It’s weird though innit… and I think guitar bands get undue flak in this respect… because in other genres, daft names are commonplace and even perceived as cool.

Here’s the list of pseudonyms used by Apex Twin, for example:

AFX, Blue Calx, Bradley Strider, The Universal Indicator, Brian Tregaskin, Caustic Window, Smojphace, GAK, Karen Tregaskin, Martin Tressider, PBoD (Phonic Boy on Dope), Polygon Window, Power-Pill, Q-Chastic, Dice Man, The Tuss, and Soit-P.P.

I think Electric Craddock fits right in, to be honest.

Post-Rock band names are all a bit pretentious as well. Four words minimum, the more the better.

• And So I Watch You From Afar
  • And We Washed Our Weapons In The Sea
  • From Oceans To Autumn
  • Let Airplanes Circle Overhead
  • Maria Isn't A Virgin Anymore
  • Mountains Became Machines
  • Set The White Flags On Fire Slowly
  • What The Blood Revealed
  • Youth Pictures Of Florence Henderson
Edited by dannybuoy

I'm going to name my next band 'Automatically Add to iTunes'.

iTunes sorts its music files into artist folders, and also adds anything found in the 'Automatically Add to iTunes' folder to the library. I wonder if it will get stuck in an eternal loop if you added a track with that set as the artist name!

8 hours ago, EliasMooseblaster said:

With apologies for splitting hairs, aren't the Youngs actually Scottish by birth? I'm sure I head they were born in this hemisphere but the family moved to Aus when they were still young (pardon the pun).

Not sure how much difference it makes in the grand scheme of things (I think David Byrne is technically Scottish as well, but nobody questions whether Talking Heads were really an American band) but it might explain the non-Anglophonic French tribute band's cryptic name!

They were born in Glasgow Scotland but AC/DC are regarded as Australian. Just the whole story i always thought a wee bit funny xD

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

1 hour ago, dannybuoy said:

I'm going to name my next band 'Automatically Add to iTunes'.

iTunes sorts its music files into artist folders, and also adds anything found in the 'Automatically Add to iTunes' folder to the library. I wonder if it will get stuck in an eternal loop if you added a track with that set as the artist name!

24wUPcI.jpg

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

And don't forget:

• Tour Paedo (Gary Glitter tribute)

Pink Tour Paedo, surely... (with apologies to Spinal Tap)

Some mates of mine - they are all 60+ - have a band called Simply Grey, which I think is a pretty ace name.

To answer the original question, I think the name is important. Creates expectations and many do tend to judge a book by its cover. I've agonised over choosing/inventing band names - opening the dictionary at random, picking the Scrabble letters out of the bag, etc, etc -  for too much of my time. When you get a good one, it's worth the grief.

Edited by Dan Dare

10 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

Some mates of mine - they are all 60+ - have a band called Simply Grey, which I think is a pretty ace name.

Mrs S is very creative and has a knack of coming up with some of the best names for my bands, once the agonising process has been started.  So I was in a band for a few years called 'May Contain Nuts' which morphed into a band called '5 Shades of Grey' - with a different, older singer - seemed appropriate.  My current little band is 'Illegal Tender'. 

But even relatively straightforward names can cause problems.  My Bon Jovi tribute band is called 'Just Jovi' but since we started another 'Just Jovi' has popped up in Scotland.  We played a gig in Suffolk and the venue posted the logo and a link to the Scottish version :)

7 hours ago, Paul S said:

But even relatively straightforward names can cause problems.  My Bon Jovi tribute band is called 'Just Jovi' but since we started another 'Just Jovi' has popped up in Scotland.  We played a gig in Suffolk and the venue posted the logo and a link to the Scottish version :)

Wrong Jovi has been taken but if you gave out sweets to keep people quiet during slow songs you could call yourselves Bon Bon Jovi... Or if your singer has a stutter

On 5/4/2018 at 09:50, dmccombe7 said:

I saw an AC/DC tribute band in France called Scotland. Couldn't speak English but they could sing in English.

So we had a French band called Scotland paying tribute to an Australian band and singing in English.

Have to say they were 1st class too.

Dave

For some reason that post reminded me of an old racing driver from the late 1950s/early60s called Innes Ireland.  Although his name was Ireland he was born in England (Yorkshire) his dad was Scottish and they lived for a time in Scotland.  Just thought I'd share - don't know why!

Not forgetting that "Bon" Scott was Scottish as well, and that "Bon" is a nickname he acquired when the family moved to Australia, it's short for "Bonnie Scotland". His real name was Ronald.

Whilst gathering my gear at the end of a rehearsal I heard the band name subject come up, never anything I get involved with, and I heard the suggestion 'Stone Angels'. My eyes rolled as I saw myself in a mirror and thought what planet are they on, (I am a youngish pensioner), 'Gravestone Angels' more like.

Edit: Hmm... methinks that sounds good actually.

Edited by goingdownslow

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/4/2018 at 09:51, Frank Blank said:

I've resurrected this thread after being in B&Q!  If you are stuck for a band name pop into B&Q and go the the Valspar paint display.  There you will find dozens of paint samples with the most odd names.  We've just had our bathroom painted in "Harp Strings" but there are plenty of wonderful shades to choose from. You could be "Chickery Chick" or "Desert Hot Springs". "Peruvian Pom Pom" could cause a stir, not to mention "Quilted Heart".  There must be a department in Valspar Towers thinking up these names! "Grapolicious", "Celestial Mystery", "Adirondack Path"...OK I'll stop now. Help!