Why become a member? ×

How important is the band name for you?

If we're talking about previous band names...

The Furious Bicycle. Obviously silly but easy enough to remember 

Mad Cow. Yep, at the height of the BSE kerfuffle

Kerfuffle. This still my favourite name 

GMT. Actually the initials of the founder members, although I replaced one of them when he left. Possibly the most dull band name I've ever been in

The Chase. To be fair that was a fairly cool name in the mid 80s

2 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Gypsies Kiss (no idea where that name came from as band had been playing good few years before i joined)

This is rhyming slang, just in case there is still someone out there who doesn't know...

As in 'I'm just nipping out for a gypsy's'...

Edited by discreet
  • Haha 1

My first band was called Defiants (although there was a strong leaning towards ETA - Eat the Afterbirth!) doing thrash covers and speeded up rock classics.

I was involved with a group called Slightly Miffed after that, but not doing bass.

Other groups were Maternoster, The Flesh Gods, Textured Air and Lowered Tones.

A couple of mates and I formed The Baker Street Irregulars for a brief moment until one of them sodded off to Ireland - the git!

Edited by BreadBin

6 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

Ain't that the truth.  I've been permanently put off quite a few bands/artists I'd previously liked only to find they were utter tools.. Viz the 'The' thing I have a particular loathing for anything classified as 'indie' after about 1988 and lo and behold  most indie bands, esp the toot derided as 'landfill indie, have had 'The as a prefix e.g. The Cribs, The Kooks, The Automatic,  The Libertines,  The Kaiser Chiefs,  The Wombats, The Fratellis, The Pigeon Defectives,  The Hoosiers, The Libertines (these need repeating), The Enemy, The Maccabees. I rest my case. . Admittedly there were also dire landfill indie bands without a 'The' prefix e.g. Scouting for Girls and Razorlight.

‘Landfill indie’, love it. Perfect 😂

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kyuuga said:

Now that we're on this topic I''d like to ask a question...

My band is thinking of naming themselves "Funky Monks". What do you guys think of the name? Does it appeal to you? Keep in mind we don't exactly play only Funk, we kind of blend multiple genres of Rock into our music. Mostly Alternative/Funk Rock though.

I wouldn’t make a habit of it.

I’ll get my coat...

15 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

I was in a thrash band for years and we could never settle on a name we all liked and we went out under a compromise moniker that I disliked but what the hey. We were discussing a name during a lull in a rehearsal and our drummer crossed his arms and said "Why don't we just call the band Scotland, no explanations, just Scotland", I loved the idea but singer and guitarist quashed it. I wish we'd pushed a bit harder for it, just for the incongruity.

I saw an AC/DC tribute band in France called Scotland. Couldn't speak English but they could sing in English.

So we had a French band called Scotland paying tribute to an Australian band and singing in English.

Have to say they were 1st class too.

Dave

1 minute ago, dmccombe7 said:

I saw an AC/DC tribute band in France called Scotland. Couldn't speak English but they could sing in English.

So we had a French band called Scotland paying tribute to an Australian band and singing in English.

Dave

That's simply too complicated for a Friday before midday.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, discreet said:

This is rhyming slang, just in case there is still someone out there who doesn't know...

As in 'I'm just nipping out for a gypsy's'...

I like that xD

Was a heavy rock band ZZ Top and AC/DC covers along with some original material and some Southern blues rock. Good band and we toured UK back in 80's.

Dave

4 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Dave

With apologies for splitting hairs, aren't the Youngs actually Scottish by birth? I'm sure I head they were born in this hemisphere but the family moved to Aus when they were still young (pardon the pun).

Not sure how much difference it makes in the grand scheme of things (I think David Byrne is technically Scottish as well, but nobody questions whether Talking Heads were really an American band) but it might explain the non-Anglophonic French tribute band's cryptic name!

My band name history :-

1. Turbo Condom and the Fish Fingers - me and two mates who also 'owned' instruments but who likewise had no idea how to play them. Did 3 'songs' in a garage at a party. We were marvelous(ly drunk) and young and hooked..
  2. Dumper - drunken band naming session (lived with that for years.)
  3. Red Raw and Sore - short lived, great poster derived from a dominatrix calling card found in a phone box
  4. NightOwl - female fronted rock/metal covers (still like this, fits well)
  5. Declined Transaction - I work for Barclaycard and this was a pop punk covers band put together from colleagues to play our Christmas party...then Hyde Park..twice... Had to briefly change name to Transaction X as our then (American) CEO thought we might bring the brand into disrepute...which we thought was very funny and quite unintentionally punk :-)
  6. Hoaxx - current 'main' band - wanted a one word name, added the extra X to make it easier to find on Facebook etc. 

One important consideration is accents. Although possibly apocryphal, I love the story that Mötley Crüe were greeted on stage in Germany to chants of 'Mertley Cru-ee'...

...in fact this is why my band, the Expändables, has an umlaut : we're all getting wider (expandable) and if one of us can't make the gig we play anyway (expendable)

• Like 1

I must admit to finding most pub bands names off-putting. But them I'm an irascible snob :) 

Comedy chuckle name? Naff!
Serious ambition name? Naff!
Sounds a bit like a famous band name? Naff!
Obviously based on an in-joke name? Naff!

I don’t know what the solution is. But it’s probably along the lines of “feck it, that’ll do!”

3 minutes ago, Skol303 said:

I must admit to finding most pub bands names off-putting. But them I'm an irascible snob :) 

I don’t know what the solution is. But it’s probably along the lines of “feck it, that’ll do!”

Probably the ideal pub band name is 'Free beer and barbecue sponsored by local cab firm', just need to agree on a font.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Skol303 said:

Tis true. There is a band round my way that goes by the name of Electric craddock. If anything it gets them noticed!

EDIT: No Mr Profanity Filter, not Electric Craddock - Electric F4NNY!

Edited by dannybuoy