Why become a member? ×

Possible ebay fraud coming my way.....?

Beedster

The 'buyer' refused the eBay refund I sent and insisted that I send the bass, so I have refunded him directly through PayPal (and have an acknowledgment from eBay that he has now received it). I'm guessing from his tone that he'd already sold it (eBay listing closed early), had seen a nice £600 pay-day coming his way, and is now rather miffed. What goes around comes around eh :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, Golats said:

I feel your frustration; also going through a similar thing where a buyer in Sheffield is claiming he didn't receive an amp I sent to him last week. I've got proof of delivery thankfully but still can't shake the feeling that he has something up his sleeve.

That 'feeling' has been with me the whole way through this, trying to anticipate exactly what the angle was. He was definitely up to something, I suspect he's just a bit greedy and perhaps not the sharpest knife so telegraphed it to me well in advance (which was nice of him), whereas a good conman would be gone well before I'd even noticed. But yes, that unease that sometjing was wrong was there all of the time. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Beedster said:

That 'feeling' has been with me the whole way through this... ...that unease that something was wrong was there all of the time. 

Sometimes a feeling is all you've got to go on. I've learnt not to ignore such feelings. If someone is kosher, they'll be perfectly willing to accommodate you, answer your questions and make sure you're completely happy. If they're not, they won't!

• Like 1

I just read this thread about the Ric I think this guy has tried to buy things off me before. What an idiot. I saw this one as I’m looking for a Ric I was also bidding on a black 4001S a week or so back and was negotiating with the chap when it disappeared. It’s a shame they won’t allow Rics on here as there are quite a few of us here who still play and enjoy them despite their slightly misguided CEO. I think you were right to pull out of the sale and you will be able to challenge any negative feedback given the evidence of his multiple IDs and behaviour.

3 hours ago, ash said:

It’s a shame they won’t allow Rics on here as there are quite a few of us here who still play and enjoy them despite their slightly misguided CEO.

It is a shame. I think it makes BC look a bit silly, to be honest. Just my 2p. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Well that wasn't entirely easy to resolve, and taught me a few things about eBay, the main one being that they will listen hardest to whichever party is prepared to shout the loudest (and this was a guy who sent all of his message IN CAPITALS so I'm guessing it was him, for a while at least). Also, and rather alarmingly, the person who eventually resolved it for me - a process which took several long conversations - suggested that eBay doesn't disclose the nature of complaints made, even to the person who is the focus of those complaints.

In short, they initially said they couldn't remove the negative feedback because they had evidence from the seller that the feedback was accurate, but they could not share that evidence with me?

Amazingly however, not one of the people I spoke to had actually read the eBay messages between me and the seller, and the guy who eventually did said "no brainer, he's clearly in the wrong", my negative feedback was removed and case closed within minutes. I'll be honest though, I found the whole thing quite stressful, the guy was clearly a little obsessed with getting his own way, and the constant messages and accusations just started to wear me down after a while.

Anyway, lessons learned. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Anyway, lessons learned. 

I learnt my eBay lesson some years ago and will only list low-value items, and then only if absolutely necessary.

Very glad you got it sorted in the end, good work. Aaaannnnd breathe...

On 17/05/2018 at 19:50, ash said:

I just read this thread about the Ric I think this guy has tried to buy things off me before. What an idiot. I saw this one as I’m looking for a Ric I was also bidding on a black 4001S a week or so back and was negotiating with the chap when it disappeared.

If only there was somebody on here that was trying to sell one, and some sort of PM system that would allow you to chat in private...

;)

• Haha 1

I've had a couple of dipsticks on ebay who have lied through their teeth and messed things up, but I've managed not to get ripped off.

More of a problem I've found is people who win an auction for a moderate value (>£50) and then drag out excuses for 3wks until they either vanish or admit they don't want the item anymore. Binding auctions my foot.

11 minutes ago, Daz39 said:

More of a problem I've found is people who win an auction for a moderate value (>£50) and then drag out excuses for 3wks until they either vanish or admit they don't want the item anymore. Binding auctions my foot.

And people who win auctions and then try to get round your terms, i.e. asking you to post items when you've made it very clear you'll only accept cash on collection. Twunts. >:(

3 hours ago, discreet said:

And people who win auctions and then try to get round your terms, i.e. asking you to post items when you've made it very clear you'll only accept cash on collection. Twunts. >:(

Yeh - and no from one of my first selling attempts, Israel isn't in the EU!

5 hours ago, Norris said:

If only there was somebody on here that was trying to sell one, and some sort of PM system that would allow you to chat in private...

;)

Ha ha, it's long gone I'm afraid, sold (via eBay I might add) within about an hour of listing it to a very nice gentleman in Italy who had the courtesy in buying the bass to apologise for the behaviour of his fellow countryman in leaving such crap feedback. Goes to show that the majority of folks are great, but that it only takes one to spoil it. 

Sorry, did I mention that this was now resolved? I wish. I finally sold my Ovation 12-string yesterday, the buyer paid immediately by PayPal, and PayPal in turn sent me an email saying that the money would not be in my account until 27th of June as the transaction is considered 'High Risk' by them. So, I called (not easy to get through) and apparently this is on account of the previous eBay buyer having raised a claim with PayPal as well as with eBay. I don't get the logic of his being able to do both, as eBay and PayPal are surely in effect the same organisation when you buy and pay on eBay, and eBay found in my favour anyway. But apparently that complaint, about which I knew nothing, is still live. Nice one eBay/PayPal

eBay and PayPal suck giant heaving whale dong. I'll use them, but only for low-value items. These companies are hopeless shipwrecks that do little to stem the tide of flotsam who use them to exploit us.

These nautical references doing it for you? :D

Wow Chris, I am starting to feel fortunate that the multiple times we bought/sold/traded stuff I was lucky to get out unscathed......  criminal mastermind you.

Paypal/Ebay, get your finger out... for the money you charge us when we use your "okay, not great" services/systems surely you can afford to link systems so one agonisingly slow resolution process is enough.

• Like 1