Why become a member? ×

Possible ebay fraud coming my way.....?

Beedster

Thanks for the above folks, having done a little bit of digging around I found he has numerous ebay identities - five at least (some are linked to the account he bought with and some are not - and several comments on guitar forums about him doing what he has done here, sometimes even before he'd actually bought the guitar in question! 

He has a refund, I get to keep my 4003S :)

• Like 6

So, this guy is really quite unpleasant. He has numerous eBay accounts including godisforme7, vintagepluslondonguitars, reverbfireguitars, fireguitars and no doubt many more. He's just left me the first neg I've had in 15 years on eBay saying that I didn't send a bass to him with the usual "AVOID AT ALL COSTS" rubbish. He has also has just emailed me to say the police are involved. I imagine the crack anti-bass fraud group are as I write doing 90mph down the M2 in response. If they lock me up and throw away the key, it's been nice knowing you all. 

A nasty guy trying to bully me with threats; he wants me to refund the fee for the courier I told him not to book. I have no doubt that the reasons he messed about so long on the courier thing was because he was going to send the bass directly to the new buyer, and I told him I wasn't going to. I suspect that he has now sold the bass and taken payment, and is sitting in a pile of his own mess.

I think however that this is indicative of eBay these days, so I'm about to close my account. Good idea while it lasted, but these days often populated by clowns trying to pull a fast one. 

Edited by Beedster
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Beedster said:

So, this guy is really quite unpleasant. He has numerous eBay accounts including godisforme7, vintagepluslondonguitars and many more it would seem. He's just left me the first neg I've had in 15 years on eBay saying that I didn't send a bass to him with the usual "AVOID AT ALL COSTS" rubbish. He has also has just emailed me to say the police are involved. I imagine the crack anti-bass fraud group are as I write doing 90mph down the M2 in response. If they lock me up and throw away the key, it's been nice knowing you all. 

A nasty guy trying to bully me with threats; he wants me to refund the fee for the courier I told him not to book. I have no doubt that the reasons he messed about so long on the courier thing was because he was going to send the bass directly to the new buyer, and I told him I wasn't going to. I suspect that he has now sold the bass and taken payment, and is sitting in a pile of his own mess.

I think however that this is indicative of eBay these days, so I'm about to close my account. Good idea while it lasted, but these days often populated by clowns trying to pull a fast one. 

SO tempted to change your profile to 'removed by crack anti-fraud bass team'

Typical eBay behaviour - bet it only lets you leave positive feedback for him?!

On one hand don't worry about the negative point, doubt anyone with any sense holds much stock in those nowadays - on the other hand, why bother with it at all. I use it for flogging random stuff but for anything I'm passionate about, eBay looms large like a threat to my satisfaction and enjoyment of said hobbies.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ped said:

SO tempted to change your profile to 'removed by crack anti-fraud bass team'

Typical eBay behaviour - bet it only lets you leave positive feedback for him?!

On one hand don't worry about the negative point, doubt anyone with any sense holds much stock in those nowadays - on the other hand, why bother with it at all. I use it for flogging random stuff but for anything I'm passionate about, eBay looms large like a threat to my satisfaction and enjoyment of said hobbies.

Nicely put Ped, wise words and point taken :)

And probably should be in my profile!

1 hour ago, Beedster said:

So, this guy is really quite unpleasant. He has numerous eBay accounts including godisforme7, vintagepluslondonguitars, reverbfireguitars, fireguitars and no doubt many more. He's just left me the first neg I've had in 15 years on eBay saying that I didn't send a bass to him with the usual "AVOID AT ALL COSTS" rubbish. He has also has just emailed me to say the police are involved. I imagine the crack anti-bass fraud group are as I write doing 90mph down the M2 in response. If they lock me up and throw away the key, it's been nice knowing you all. 

From my contact with you on here I know that you are a 100% genuine guy. I stopped selling on eBay after a bad experience. I now use shpock -collection only, cash in hand so much less chance of a scam. Of course here is perfect except for Ricks. And complain to eBay about the feedback, they will take it off.

4 minutes ago, lemmywinks said:

This. Also if he left anything personal in the feedback they will remove it par course.

Yep.. eBay are very accommodating at removing negative feedback... which is also annoying when it's deserved. It's all part of why I avoid eBay if at all possible these days (not always practical).

15 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

Yep.. eBay are very accommodating at removing negative feedback... which is also annoying when it's deserved. It's all part of why I avoid eBay if at all possible these days (not always practical).

As long as it's solely about the transaction you're usually good, when people use terms like "liar" or "scammer" then they remove them on request as it's personal. 

2 hours ago, ped said:

Because if you really want to sell things it is a fairly significant place to do so. Most of my last basses have sold there without any hassle, and although you lose 10% due to your costs, you get so much more selling it in the first place, so it is hard to ignore.

1 hour ago, lemmywinks said:

As long as it's solely about the transaction you're usually good, when people use terms like "liar" or "scammer" then they remove them on request as it's personal. 

IME as long as you tell them it’s defamatory, they’ll relent and remove it. They can’t be bothered to argue.

Thanks for the above folks. eBay is an interesting one, I suspect that we all still remember the days when the occasional Pre-CBS Precision popped up and sold for £450, when buyers and seller were generally polite, helpful and honest, and when it was largely full of used and interesting items. Wow it's changed.

14 hours ago, HazBeen said:

But what to do with the 4003 now Chris? I would repost under an alias or 7 :)

Ha ha, quite happy to keep it to be honest Harry, it's bloody lovely, just doesn't get used that much any more. But I've re-listed it as I kinda need the money, which was the reason for listing it in the first place :(

Edited by Beedster

Ebay is minefield for sellers nowadays. When I sell, I just mark it as cash on collection only. I'll always request a phone number and speak to the person if I can. And I'll happily meet halfway (although setting up an Eminence at Newbury Services was quite an experience!)

Anyway, what this chap's doing isn't illegal, but it's disingenuous and using your images and description is just cheap. I don't think there's anything wrong in making a profit, but to sell something you don't own (drop shipping) is bad business.

Sad you cant advertise it on here I guess, but good luck with it.

Having still not resolved this I tracked back through messages, and not only does he have multiple ebay IDs, he has multiple real IDs also. I insisted I would only send to his registered PayPal address and he eventually agreed. I didn't realise it at the time, but the postage labels he had earlier emailed me (after I'd told him I was not going to let him arrange the courier), had a different name to that with which he had paid for the bass, and from which his PayPal account is registered. I still can't escape the feeling there was a scam here that I've ducked out of, but in true 'Burn After Reading' style, I've no idea what it was :)

I wouldn’t have a problem with the reselling, it seems a bit cheap but if I am happy to sell at a price it isn’t up to me what someone does with it after it is there’s, but if paying by PayPal there are no other options then sending to the name and address on the PayPal account

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Beedster said:

I still can't escape the feeling there was a scam here that I've ducked out of, but in true 'Burn After Reading' style, I've no idea what it was :)

Dont worry about it, you've done the right thing! There's 'legal' and there's 'being a bell-end'. Who you sell to is entirely up to you, it's a private transaction.

It sounds like a potential con, but it may have been that his account was compromised (perhaps?).

I can never understand why anyone would bother to make a few hundred quid, but perhaps that's me. 

What would be useful, if you're happy to do so, is to list all of his fake accounts and I can add them to my banned buyers list if/when I ever list anything again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Beedster said:

I still can't escape the feeling there was a scam here that I've ducked out of, but in true 'Burn After Reading' style, I've no idea what it was :)

I would also say, if something feels wrong sometimes you have to decide to go with your feelings. My only other rule apart from sending to the registered address is that if someone messes you around it is probably best not to deal with them.

I feel your frustration; also going through a similar thing where a buyer in Sheffield is claiming he didn't receive an amp I sent to him last week. I've got proof of delivery thankfully but still can't shake the feeling that he has something up his sleeve.