Why become a member? ×

Possible ebay fraud coming my way.....?

Beedster

Folks

On the back of the Stoke thread, I sold an '82 Rik 4003S on eBay two days ago, seller made a decent best offer within about 20 mins of me listing it and paid immediately. I offered local pickup and he said he's arrange collection which, at the end of a long day, I assumed meant he would collect in person. Now it looks like he's a music dealer, which is fine, and he says he's going to use UPS to collect and deliver to his registered PayPal address. This makes sense for example if he has a UPS account that's tax deductible etc. His eBay feedback is fine. 

But something feels wrong about this deal. I can't put my finger on it, but the sale was very quick - no questions about condition/originality etc - and his comms are brief to the point of rude. He clearly buys and sells a lot of guitars but this was not a no-brainer at the price.

Now, I know that for example he could claim it was never collected and request a refund, but I will be printing the labels here, taking photos of the bass, packaging and driver etc. But I'm still worried!

Thoughts very welcome :)

Chris

I bought an iMac off Gumtree recently at a very good price. So cheap that my messages were brief. The seller became worried too and told me so. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't sold to anyone else. When I explained why I'd been do brief she was fine but there were 2 other folk there when I went to collect. Maybe the buyer didn't communicate to well for many reasons. Plus if he found it wasn't as advertised, he would be covered by paypal?

As long as you have all communications and proof of collection. I would think all would be good. But.. there's loads of scams going on. Scams folk like us wouldn't even dream of. I had a thought yesterday when I saw paypals credit options that they offer on ebay sales. No wonder they side with the buyer if in fact paypal have paid for the item. Hope all is good. Only time will tell.

1 hour ago, 2elliot said:

It's only 20 mile away.  Take it to him. 

If he's paid with Paypal then that's a terrible idea, buyer could say the bass wasn't delivered and the OP has zero proof it was. Ends up with no bass and no money. If you're handing it over personally then refund the Paypal and ask for cash, otherwise get them to leave positive feedback before taking the bass.

Edited by lemmywinks
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 2elliot said:

It's only 20 mile away.  Take it to him. 

Think you may be looking at a different listing mate, but yes, had considered arranging to meet midway, but even then there's issues around proving that you've actually handed something over. Funny old thing instinct isn't it :)

13 minutes ago, lemmywinks said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rickenbacker-4003S-Bass-1982-OHSC-STEREO/153005296837?hash=item239fd38cc5:g:gmYAAOSw~O1a6PaO

Did a bit of digging myself, looks like he's already flipped it using your photos and description!

Interesting, as I said above, instinct is quite a powerful force isn't it :)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I would be cancelling the sale for that.

Cheeky bar steward.

I'll be honest and say I'm less worried than I was, if he wants to buy at a price at which I'm happy to sell, then pay quickly, then arrange the courier, and then list it for sale using my pics, I don't see any huge problem, pretty sharp sales practice but perfectly legal and not even unethical, as he owned the bass from the moment he paid me (so the pics are of his bass). I was more concerned the bass was either going to be 'lost' during delivery or be returned 'not as described' with a Columbus in the box. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

You're far nicer than me. 

Ha ha, having met you in person mate, I can vouch for that not being true! All joking aside, plenty of shops behave worse. For example, I could tell you about...........

Just realised why he's in no rush for delivery though, I imagine he hopes it will sell quickly and he will arrange the delivery from me to go the new buyer, so the new buyer pays for the courier! That of course is where it could go wrong for me as it will not be going to his registered PayPal address. 

I'll keep y'all posted :)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Most deals are hassle free it’s just now and again it might not feel right. Why not sell it on here  

Forum rules don't allow rickenbackers in the bc marketplace because the bods at rickenbacker are a bit mad.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, lemmywinks said:

If he's paid with Paypal then that's a terrible idea, buyer could say the bass wasn't delivered and the OP has zero proof it was. Ends up with no bass and no money. If you're handing it over personally then refund the Paypal and ask for cash, otherwise get them to leave positive feedback before taking the bass.

Of course you would cancel PayPal payment first! if you are going to drop it off it would be cash on delivery.

4 hours ago, Beedster said:

Think you may be looking at a different listing mate, but yes, had considered arranging to meet midway, but even then there's issues around proving that you've actually handed something over. Funny old thing instinct isn't it :)

Sorry, speed reading and bad eye sight at my end = 20 miles... whoops! 

3 hours ago, Beedster said:

Ha ha, having met you in person mate, I can vouch for that not being true! All joking aside, plenty of shops behave worse. For example, I could tell you about...........

Just realised why he's in no rush for delivery though, I imagine he hopes it will sell quickly and he will arrange the delivery from me to go the new buyer, so the new buyer pays for the courier! That of course is where it could go wrong for me as it will not be going to his registered PayPal address. 

I'll keep y'all posted :)

Have you seen this recent thread about 3rd parties and paypal?