Why become a member? ×

pickup and pre amp replacement

Skezza

I use a 5 string active bass collection for most of the gigging I do.  I am very pleased with the bass generally BUT

I would like to upgrade the pickups and the pre amp as the pickups are a bit noisy when used individually ok when both on.

I live in staffordshire and need a good luthier who does this work and can advise me OR HOPEFULLY ADVICE ON HERE

I spoke to two local luthiers who would change the pickups if i got the new ones but both said it was up to me to find the pre amp.

so where do i go to find the gear and the advice

Pickup wise, I'd first start off by finding places that have stock pickups that are the same shape as your current pickups so they just go straight in. Then read reviews of each one, and you'll be able to narrow it down. 

Preamp wise, it depends how much you want to spend. The high end preamp like ACG and John East have excellent reviews, but are quite expensive. Cheap Chinese ones from ebay (around £15) are okay, but aren't very usable. 

Depending on what you're after, it may also help to Google your bass, and see what upgrades people have already put in. There may be a standard upgrade done to it that a lot of people like.