Why become a member? ×

Finished Pics! A build for our own Len_derby

Andyjr1515

12 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Actually, you're both wrong.  The timbre I used was poplar :)

50 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

Fir goodness sake!

I'm beginning to feel with pines like those you won't be allowed at next years Midlands Bash 😛

• Like 1

Well, I think we've pretty much exhausted the timbre stuff (please, please, please! ;) ).

In the meantime, thanks again for the nice words - always means a lot.

Got a nice gig bag for it today, did the final pickup height stuff, micro-web'd it and added a signed label for the back of the control chamber cover.  Just waiting for the MN blend pot - hoping tomorrow but banking on Wed latest  - and we can relieve @Len_derby of his very patient vigil! :) 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

ok - what is the secret thing on the shelf behind the guitar? :D

That's where Andy keeps the secret meat pies.

(He has to have an outlet to get rid of all of the leftover necks and bodies that he ends up with)

Edited by SpondonBassed

1 hour ago, SpondonBassed said:

That's where Andy keeps the secret meat pies.

(He has to have an outlet to get rid of all of the leftover necks and bodies that he ends up with)

Yes - and there's a hatch into the cellar, directly over the bandsaw ;)

14 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

ok - what is the secret thing on the shelf behind the guitar? :D

Well, I keep seeing these Russian/ US election interference documents where every 4th word is redacted, I thought I'd try it here :)

• Haha 1

Well, I've had the bass for a few days now and I thought it would be nice to post some feedback.

The top line is that the 'vision' I had for a custom built bass has been brought to wonderful life by Andy.

The main design brief was for a Jazz-influenced 'working' 4 string that looked good but didn't scream 'look at me'. For me, a triple tick has been achieved.

The light weight of the bass, at 6.5 pounds, was almost disconcerting when I first picked it up. But after playing it for a few days I ask myself 'why are most basses so heavy?'.

I set Andy the challenge of block markers on a maple fret board. They look and feel beautiful. 

So far, I've only used the bass for personal playing and one band rehearsal. Through a Phil Jones Bass Cub the Norstrand NJ4 pickups I went for sound sweet although there's still some experimentation to be done on bass and amp settings.

The whole attention to detail and quality of build is fantastic. Andy is a great craftsman to work with. He doesn't impose his views but will advise where things can be done better.

Bottom line; a very happy customer.

image.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Len_derby said:

Well, I've had the bass for a few days now and I thought it would be nice to post some feedback.

The top line is that the 'vision' I had for a custom built bass has been brought to wonderful life by Andy.

The main design brief was for a Jazz-influenced 'working' 4 string that looked good but didn't scream 'look at me'. For me, a triple tick has been achieved.

The light weight of the bass, at 6.5 pounds, was almost disconcerting when I first picked it up. But after playing it for a few days I ask myself 'why are most basses so heavy?'.

I set Andy the challenge of block markers on a maple fret board. They look and feel beautiful. 

So far, I've only used the bass for personal playing and one band rehearsal. Through a Phil Jones Bass Cub the Norstrand NJ4 pickups I went for sound sweet although there's still some experimentation to be done on bass and amp settings.

The whole attention to detail and quality of build is fantastic. Andy is a great craftsman to work with. He doesn't impose his views but will advise where things can be done better.

Bottom line; a very happy customer.

image.jpeg

Thanks, Neil :)

I'll track down one of your gigs sometime soon and take a few live shots in between some enthusiastic heckling xD

• Like 1
  • Haha 1