Why become a member? ×

PA Guys, a question for you!

MoJoKe

This came up in a recent debate I was involved with. Do you do mic your drums the Cornish or Devon way (a scone reference there...!).  

33 members have voted

1. 1. In setting up your mixing desk in which order do you lay out the drums (for simplicity lets assume there are two toms, two OH and only one mic on each drum...!)

• Kick, Hats, Snare, Rack Tom, Floor Tom, OH 1, OH 2
    • Kick, Snare, Hats, Rack Tom, Floor Tom, OH 1, OH 2

2 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

No bottom snare, then..?

I know!  Very wrong eh!  However, this is less about the mix of drums/mics, but more the way they are logically laid out on the desk for workflow purposes....

25 minutes ago, MoJoKe said:

...the way they are logically laid out on the desk for workflow purposes....

Yes, I think we all sussed that out. Well, you can collect your 50p, as no-one would ever even dream of the first 'logical' set-up. Do we get to share the spoils..? o.O

Edited by Dad3353

15 minutes ago, Passinwind said:

Kick, Snare, OH, Done.

While I wouldn't begin to disagree with your sentiment, that doesn't help with my point...!  ^_^    Has to be based on 7+ channels on the desk!

Edited by MoJoKe
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, MoJoKe said:

While I wouldn't begin to disagree with your sentiment, that doesn't help with my point...!  ^_^    Has to be based on 7+ channels on the desk!

Alright then, I have now voted early and often. B|

In the interests of fairness (and of still not declaring my hand!)  I've set the poll to run til tomorrow, as I am aware there are quite a few bass playing FOH engineers here, and for those who question my opinion, maybe 7 votes doesn't quite reflect a consensus!

I'm intrigued why you asked this, as I would go 2... And I do in my current band... But it was done like option 1(by a guy with vastly more sound engineering experience than I do) before I got involved!

Didnt think anything of it at the time! But now I do! 

18 minutes ago, Elfrasho said:

I'm intrigued why you asked this...

I cannot answer that at this time...  I will do once the poll has closed!  My own position on this has been lodged in a secure and trusted brown envelope, in safe and trusted hands, to be shared publicly tomorrow evening!  Glory or humiliation, public either way!

All I can say, by way of explanation, is that between Devonians and the Cornish, there is an ongoing argument about the correct way to present scones for a "proper" cream tea! In Devon the clotted cream is put on first, almost like butter some would suggest, followed by the jam.   However, in Cornwall (weirdos), they put the jam on first, followed by the cream....  Who is right, who is wrong, and why.... 

More importantly the betting world is watching!

However, I would request that this is a poll about FOH PA, not scones, or the bitter and sometimes violent rivalry between the good people of the South West corner of this fair isle!  We can do a poll about that tomorrow evening, but keep this Music based please!!

Edited by MoJoKe
  • Haha 1

in fairness, I haven't really done any real mixing gigs for years and my skills and habits in that department were honed long before the birth of the internet and even a modest proliferation of "Music Technology" college courses but, yeah... 2.

Kick, Snare, Hihat! (I believe this is industry standard)

my preference-

Kick In, Kick Out, Snare Top, Snare Wire, Hats, Hi Rack Tom, Mid Rack Tom (if there), Floor Tom, Stage Right OH, Stage Left OH.

OH1 and OH2 - that's something you defo want to clarify. The other thing about overheads is their placement. Loads of people seem surprised that they get phase issues when plonking them randomly above the kit. My preference for OH placement is equidistant from the centre of the snare in recorderman fashion ( e.g. above the snare and over the shoulder)

Edited by EBS_freak