Why become a member? ×

the Peavey Zodiac BXP ...an overlooked classic? (HBD pending)

Bass V

On 22/06/2018 at 13:02, The59Sound said:

Such a shame they don't do the Zodiac anymore... I'm actually tempted to buy a Milestone 4 (PJ config), change the pups to SDs and restring with D'Addarios. Almost the exact same spec as a DE Scorpio then! 

One less fret though ;) 

On 22/06/2018 at 02:02, The59Sound said:

Such a shame they don't do the Zodiac anymore... I'm actually tempted to buy a Milestone 4 (PJ config), change the pups to SDs and restring with D'Addarios. Almost the exact same spec as a DE Scorpio then! 

mine with the EMG-HZs and mystery rounds is so good straight off the truck I'll just get another PZBXP and see what flats, maybe rosewood, and different PUs do.

GC had this lil devil @ $125US earlier today! for me these are the greatest discovery in ages.

image.png.fa3e85a8cf222d304d6ecf1e2c627130.png

• Like 2

9 hours ago, chrismuzz said:

One less fret though ;)

There's also.

The different shape body (long skinny horns Vs stubby slightly offset horns),made from basswood instead of alder. 12" radius fretboard instead of 8". BBOT bridge instead of the heavier one on the Zodiac.

Oh and mucking about with 4mm allen keys to adjust the TR opposed to the Zodiac adjustment wheel.

2 hours ago, Bass V said:

mine with the EMG-HZs and mystery rounds is so good straight off the truck I'll just get another PZBXP and see what flats, maybe rosewood, and different PUs do.

GC had this lil devil @ $125US earlier today! for me these are the greatest discovery in ages.

image.png.fa3e85a8cf222d304d6ecf1e2c627130.png

She be pretty. Rosewood board and black headstock. Nice.

On 23/06/2018 at 23:17, kodiakblair said:

There's also.

The different shape body (long skinny horns Vs stubby slightly offset horns),made from basswood instead of alder. 12" radius fretboard instead of 8". BBOT bridge instead of the heavier one on the Zodiac.

Oh and mucking about with 4mm allen keys to adjust the TR opposed to the Zodiac adjustment wheel.

Only one of my six has the adjustment wheel!

1 hour ago, Bass V said:

I want on that list too! lol

I'll remember that. Shipping doesn't look too bad, quotes I see are $200 to $250. One TNT quote did say $150 but with the 2 other TNT quotes giving prices then saying "service not available between these addresses", it'll need further investigation.

• Haha 1

On 04/07/2018 at 11:21, kodiakblair said:

I'll remember that. Shipping doesn't look too bad, quotes I see are $200 to $250. One TNT quote did say $150 but with the 2 other TNT quotes giving prices then saying "service not available between these addresses", it'll need further investigation.

well... it was a nice thot any way lol too bad you're not on my island!

• 1 year later...

Thread Resurrection Time. 

I played a couple of basses in our local shop today. A Squier VM Jazz with felt odd. neck was horribly bowed which didn't help but it just didn't feel right.

I then noodled on a 4 string Peavey, dark with tort plate, rosewood neck. It felt light and agile in my hands. A  slender invitingly playable neck, clear bridge pickup, thumping P Bass neck pick up. 

I didn't pay attention to what I was playing but I'm pretty sure it was one of these Zodiacs you folk were chewing over just last year. 

What can you tell me about them? 

1 hour ago, stewblack said:

What can you tell me about them? 

Black with tort means a Zodiac BXP. Alder body,rosewood/maple neck 8" radius. Lovely bits of kit. Made in China.

"Made in China" is not the usual kiss of death here. When Peavey started sourcing basses from the Far East their top bass designer relocated. The Zodiac had a new body shape and came in 2 flavours.

Standard BXP or Dave Ellefson signature model. The Megadeath man thought adding a mirror scratchplate was enough but the marketing folks disagreed. Marketing men won and his Sig bass shipped with the uninspiring Duncan 1/4 pounders. Put Ellefson's neb right out of joint,he later stated the standard pickups were good and the Duncans were only to justify a large price hike 😲

Not sure what else to add. Solid bass, designed to be versatile. Built under the watchful eye of the sorely missed Mike Powers. Cheap as chips.

Definitely worth considering should you fancy a PJ.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, kodiakblair said:

Not sure what else to add. Solid bass, designed to be versatile. Built under the watchful eye of the sorely missed Mike Powers. Cheap as chips. 

Definitely worth considering should you fancy a PJ.

I'll add one thing.... A warning on weight.... Both of the Zodiac BXP DE Sig models I've bought were slightly on the heavy side at 10.5 lb. That aside, nice bass when you can pick them up for less than £200. (I paid £150 each, for both of mine.)

Edited by clivem
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, clivem said:

I'll add one thing.... A warning on weight.... Both of the Zodiac BXP DE Sig models I've bought were slightly on the heavy side at 10.5 lb. That aside, nice bass when you can pick them up for less than £200. (I paid £150 each, for both of mine.)

Strange. Both of mine weigh 8lb.