Why become a member? ×

and... I'm in

Bass V

howzit, b'chatters, (Bass V@talkbass, Ron) happy to be aboard and checking out the fun stuff from half a planet away! 

in a nutshell... I've been in Honolulu since '75, for better or worse my perspective is different than most folks with Hawaiian steel guitar being my main focus for the many decades, but Hawaiian bass was a surprising discovery early on and I'm lucky to have known some of the best in that classic genre should anybody remembers names like Gary Aiko, Benny Kalama, and Walter Mo'okini. I snagged my first bass in '83 a '65 Fender BASS V (from local luthier Jimmy Muneno for a whopping $275 which I'm currently researching the best neck bend restoration process for ...probably heat press) and have amassed a farmload of stringed critters along the way, bass being my #1 passion into retirement.

0)

2 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

.The Build Diaries will be of good use to you among other resources.

Hawaiian bass sounds intriguing. Have you got any examples of it?

thank you, and yes I have fairly recent examples of Gary Aiko singing and playing upright in an 'Olelo production I Dir./Prod.

in discovering great Hawaiian music c1975 I quickly fell in love with the 'less is more' mentality of it all and this video represents that style at it's best 

https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingano-Trio-1655875444640256/

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Bass V said:

on the facebook page you'll see Gary's fill, Adam Ah Sing carrying on in his own fine Swinging upright style

Some of us don't do FB.  After recent events some of us won't ever go there again.

Thanks for the YT link, I've got that downloading for a little lunchtime listening.