Why become a member? ×

Plexiglass amp 'cages'.

spectoremg

I've seen transparent screens around the drums at one of the larger televised gigs.

It was a couple of years ago.  Roger Daltrey and Pete Townshend took to the stage late on in the night with some of the other big names that had been playing already.  As Roger warmed up to the performance he went over to the drums and pushed at least one of the screens over.

I wondered about that.  Did he feel that he needed to hear the drums direct due to foldback issues with his IEMs?  Did he feel that the screens were new-fangled flummery and had no place at any Who gig?  Could it have been a nod to the late Mr Moon because if he was still with us he wouldn't have stood for screens in front of his kit?  Was it just a symbolic gesture to suggest that although old, the remainder of the band still represented rebellion against authority?

Thoughts?  I'm all thunk out.  Please use small words because I am thick.

2 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

I've seen transparent screens around the drums at one of the larger televised gigs.

It was a couple of years ago.  Roger Daltrey and Pete Townshend took to the stage late on in the night with some of the other big names that had been playing already.  As Roger warmed up to the performance he went over to the drums and pushed at least one of the screens over.

I wondered about that.  Did he feel that he needed to hear the drums direct due to foldback issues with his IEMs?  Did he feel that the screens were new-fangled flummery and had no place at any Who gig?  Could it have been a nod to the late Mr Moon because if he was still with us he wouldn't have stood for screens in front of his kit?  Was it just a symbolic gesture to suggest that although old, the remainder of the band still represented rebellion against authority?

Thoughts?  I'm all thunk out.  Please use small words because I am thick.

Funnily enough The Who well and truly use screens and baffles over everything these days to protect his hearing! 

10 hours ago, lurksalot said:

I heard rumour that a few guitarists had a small amp cranked up behind the showy bank of speakers , mic'd up and through the PA , no one was any the wiser :D

John Petrucci - Dream Theater springs to mind.  A bit hypocritical as he's currently plugging his signature JP series Mesa Boogies. 

Bands and audiences are wimps. If the music is too loud, you are too old. Use a smaller amp and drive it harder. Point the speakers at the wall behind the band. Put a miced speaker in a back room like Gary Moore. Its not supposed to sound like a Hi-Fi its supposed to be a Rock and Roll gig.  :angry2:

11 minutes ago, mikel said:

Bands and audiences are wimps. If the music is too loud, you are too old. Use a smaller amp and drive it harder. Point the speakers at the wall behind the band. Put a miced speaker in a back room like Gary Moore. Its not supposed to sound like a Hi-Fi its supposed to be a Rock and Roll gig.  :angry2:

And that's why everybody is deaf. Screw rock and roll, I say. Let the dinosaurs have that mind numblingly bad mix and non stop ringing in their ears - Cos that's dead cool.

Why on earth anybody would want to go to a gig where they could hear anything portrayed in a balanced mix is beyond me.

Theres a reason why the dinosaurs became extinct.

I never understand why people don't embrace knowledge and technology.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mikel said:

s2_les.jpg

Edited by wateroftyne
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, lurksalot said:

Why not put the amp in the car park and mic it up from there 

If my memory serves me correctly, there's one of those Premier Guitar rig rundowns on YouTube about Guns 'n' Roses. Apparently they have cabs underneath the stage all mic'd up...some apparently in some sort of sealed box 

Remember when bands had very little gear and played at a reasonable volume? Me neither.

Getting very sick of it though. Went to a pub the other night and the band had the drums and a brass section going through the PA. Why??

It was so loud it actually hurt and I left after about 30 seconds. So much for bands bringing in punters...

5 hours ago, discreet said:

And this is making you angry because..?

Because its Rock and Roll not a classical concert. Nothing wrong with distorted guitars, or a bit of feedback. Some of the best gigs I have ever been too were in sweaty bars and clubs with no Big PA or computer mixing desk. I embrace technology when it suits the situation, and I use hearing protection when I feel the need. If its too loud you can vote with your feet and leave.

7 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

I never understand why people don't embrace knowledge and technology.

The thing is I'm sure we've all at some point been in a similar band to the one mikel is in and had the same attitude, I certainly did many moons ago. For the last 7 years I've been playing with a group that strives for clarity at a healthy volume, our drummer is a former pro (as in pro drummer, not as in selling himself, although I wouldn't rule it out...) in his 60s and he's partially deaf and has tinnitus. No way I'd go back now, the on stage sound is fantastic and super clear.

2 minutes ago, mikel said:

Because its Rock and Roll not a classical concert. Nothing wrong with distorted guitars, or a bit of feedback. Some of the best gigs I have ever been too were in sweaty bars and clubs with no Big PA or computer mixing desk. I embrace technology when it suits the situation, and I use hearing protection when I feel the need. If its too loud you can vote with your feet and leave.

Yep, I'd agree with that. I'm not angry about it though. ;) But I think a 9-piece band using a Turbo PA in a small pub is a bit silly, however. As far as rock goes, you don't have to be loud to be heavy. I'm talking about the difference between loud (OK) and stupid loud (not OK).

2 minutes ago, mikel said:

I think you've misunderstood, those perspex cages are to control on stage sound and prevent mic bleed, they have no impact on what the audience hears but give the engineer a better palette to work with which leads to a better mix. 

Now can all this silly faux masculinity be put to bed please? Having a loud valve amp wallowing all over the stage doesn't make anyone a tough guy/gal, it just makes you a PITA for whoever is engineering your gigs.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Marvin said:

If my memory serves me correctly, there's one of those Premier Guitar rig rundowns on YouTube about Guns 'n' Roses. Apparently they have cabs underneath the stage all mic'd up...some apparently in some sort of sealed box 

I used to make isolation boxes for amps when I was a cabinet maker. They were popular with touring bands but the major improvements in modelling kit like kemper and helix have taken over now. 

I also used to make mock Marshall cabs for show. My favourite build was when we completely remade a couple of Marshall 4x12 cabs for an endorsed guitarist. The Marshall cabs were so poor in both sound and construction (the vintage 30s in Marshall cabs are nowhere near the same as regular vintage 30s - they're like a poor imitation) that the guy had us essentially build a mesa cab in Marshall disguise. 

12 hours ago, Marvin said:

That sounds a bit like the band Disaster Area... see below.

12 hours ago, lemmywinks said:

...Now can all this silly faux masculinity be put to bed please?...

No.

There is still scope for silliness.  This IS Basschat after all.

Buried deep in concrete bunkers beneath the city of speakers lay the instruments that the musicians would control from their ship, the massive photon-ajuitar, the bass detonator and the Megabang drum complex.

It was going to be a noisy show.

Aboard the giant control ship, all was activity and bustle. Hotblack Desiato's limoship, a mere tadpole beside it, had arrived and docked, and the lamented gentleman was being transported down to the high vaulted corridors to meet the medium who was going to interpret his psychic impulses on to the ajuitar keyboard.

A doctor, a logician and a marine biologist had also just arrived, flown in at a phenomenal expense from Maximegalon to try to reason with the lead singer who had locked himself in the bathroom with a bottle of pills and was refusing to come out till it could be proved conclusively to him that he wasn't a fish. The bass player was busy machine-gunning his bedroom and the drummer was nowhere on board.

Frantic inquiries led to the discovery that he was standing on a beach on Santraginus V over a hundred light years away where, he claimed, he had been happy for half an hour now and had found a small stone that would be his friend.

The band's manager was profoundly relieved. It meant that for the seventeenth time on this tour the drums would be played by a robot and that therefore the timing of the cymballistics would be right.

From Chapter 21 of H2GT2G
Douglas Adams

23 hours ago, mrtcat said:

I used to make isolation boxes for amps when I was a cabinet maker. They were popular with touring bands but the major improvements in modelling kit like kemper and helix have taken over now. 

I also used to make mock Marshall cabs for show. My favourite build was when we completely remade a couple of Marshall 4x12 cabs for an endorsed guitarist. The Marshall cabs were so poor in both sound and construction (the vintage 30s in Marshall cabs are nowhere near the same as regular vintage 30s - they're like a poor imitation) that the guy had us essentially build a mesa cab in Marshall disguise. 

Now that's a good story!