Why become a member? ×

Plexiglass amp 'cages'.

spectoremg

54 minutes ago, pbasspecial said:

Forgive my ignorance but wouldn't the sound waves bounce back off the plexi and possibly create some kind of phasing issue?

That can be a problem. It depends on the mics that you use. Because it's being close miced it's less of an issue - more of an issue for kits.

15 minutes ago, Count Bassy said:

If it is to keep the volume down, what does this do that turning the volume down wouldn't do?

The tone of a valve amp changes with the volume as do the speakers. This enables the amp and speakers to be driven to the required levels without taking people's heads off.

Just now, EBS_freak said:

The tone of a valve amp changes with the volume as do the speakers. This enables the amp and speakers to be driven to the required levels without taking people's heads off.

Yep. A cranked valve amp is a thing of beauty but not ideal for live use these days! 

Pretty much every guitarist has their amp way too loud. I'm not sure it's for tone, I think it's for dominance as they believe they are the Silverback of the group. 

The problem is too much mid and treble are really piercing and very unpleasant. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

I always thought they were there to simplify the engineer's job of filtering out cross bleed to the microphones.

They do also - spill into vocal mics. But that's the same as turning down the volume.

In my other (6-string) life, I run pretty much the same as half the rig above... a Divided by 13 40w head and 2x12. I also use the screen on every gig, mic'd or unmic'd. 2 reasons.... I can pretty much run the amp at the same volume on any gig, which means consistency, these amps sound and behave very differently through the range of volume, and even on half-power the volume knob goes between nothing and 'too much!!!' very quickly. It also means that what the audience hear is more similar to what I'm hearing, and stops the front row from being hit by the harsh beam of the speakers. I haven't been asked to turn down in many years....

The idea of these shaped screens is that you never have a panel parallel with the speakers, and avoid right angles... so you should be able to avoid much reflection. 

At a guess this was the Beth Hart gig @spectoremg? You'd have seen a few friends of mine doing the support slot!

33 minutes ago, pbasspecial said:

Pretty much every guitarist has their amp way too loud. I'm not sure it's for tone, I think it's for dominance as they believe they are the Silverback of the group. 

The problem is too much mid and treble are really piercing and very unpleasant. 

If guitarist = Silverback...
shouldn't it be the guitarist in the cage rather than the amp he's broadcasting his chest thumping with?

Edited by SpondonBassed

18 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

I'd love to think of it being that simple.

I quantified the impact of tone with a valve amp above.

To clarify - if the volume coming out of the amp is lower, the less gets to the vocal mics.

if you don't run a valve amp hard enough, you may not get the speakers working as they should and they won't give the tone that you are looking for. Likewise, if you don't run a valve amp hard enough, the tone will be very bass shy. In order to get the tone right you'll need to work the amp and speakers right -and that usually results in unfriendly volumes for a sound engineer.

in terms of on stage noise rejection, mics with high off axis rejection are the obvious choice.

6 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

I quantified the impact of tone with a valve amp above.

To clarify - if the volume coming out of the amp is lower, the less gets to the vocal mics.

if you don't run a valve amp hard enough, you may not get the speakers working as they should and they won't give the tone that you are looking for. Likewise, if you don't run a valve amp hard enough, the tone will be very bass shy. In order to get the tone right you'll need to work the amp and speakers right -and that usually results in unfriendly volumes for a sound engineer.

in terms of on stage noise rejection, mics with high off axis rejection are the obvious choice.

My brain went TILT on reading the second word.

Who quantifies anything?

36 minutes ago, knicknack said:

In my other (6-string) life, I run pretty much the same as half the rig above... a Divided by 13 40w head and 2x12. I also use the screen on every gig, mic'd or unmic'd. 2 reasons.... I can pretty much run the amp at the same volume on any gig, which means consistency, these amps sound and behave very differently through the range of volume, and even on half-power the volume knob goes between nothing and 'too much!!!' very quickly. It also means that what the audience hear is more similar to what I'm hearing, and stops the front row from being hit by the harsh beam of the speakers. I haven't been asked to turn down in many years....

The idea of these shaped screens is that you never have a panel parallel with the speakers, and avoid right angles... so you should be able to avoid much reflection. 

At a guess this was the Beth Hart gig @spectoremg? You'd have seen a few friends of mine doing the support slot!

Yes it was Beth Hart and the support were excellent. 

1 hour ago, EBS_freak said:

Clearsonic ampshield - if anybody wants one for their monkey guitarist.

Are they big enough to put the guitarist in with the amp, and the have a little duct to pump the smoke machine in? 

• Haha 1