Why become a member? ×

Stingray neck thickness differences?

highwayman

I've parted company with my 'modern' Stingray Classic (2 EQ & string through body) to a fine fellow BC member but already I miss it!

It's not all bad, as although it was a gorgeous instrument I did find the neck a touch thick for my smallish hands. With this in mind can the Stingray aficionados/accumulators please advise on the variations of neck thickness across the numerous  four-string versions and eras please (with suggestions especially for the slimmer necked)? 

I have a 1997 2eq Stingray and also had a 2001 3eq at the same time. The 2001 was slimmer front to back (but i still prefer the 1997 which is a bit 'rounder' feeling).

And i had a USA Sterling with the slimmer jazz style neck and didn't get on with it - i prefer something with a bit of meat on it.

Yup, a Slo Special neck is what you are looking for. Jazz size at the nut, but a bit thicker front to back. It's a great neck. I find it a bit thicker front to back than a typical jazz. It's a great neck. I believe EBMM discontinued the Slo necks in 2017, so you may need to buy used. 

Edited by corndog

Sterlings have never been as popular as Stingrays so go for much cheapness. The necks are slim and I find them incredibly comfortable to play.

They have ceramic pickups and 3 band EQ so won't sound like your Stingray Classic did but I love them.

As with the other models, the prices have rocketed in the last couple of years - when I bought my Sterling new in March 2016 the retail price was £1499, now it's around £2200 :shok:

On 06/05/2018 at 05:06, corndog said:

I believe EBMM discontinued the Slo necks in 2017, so you may need to buy used. 

Nope, it’s still possible to order one. If you’re thinking about it you might want to do it before July when they roll out the changes they’ve made (aluminium hardware replacing the chrome and different tuners).

I don't want to hijack this thread, but are the Stingray Classic necks on the chunky side? I've never got to play one of these basses,  but I really want a Stingray and I much prefer  the old-style 2 band EQ and vintage styling. I'd always presumed that the Classic necks would be fairly slim, like the old Stingrays. Any info gratefully received.

On ‎01‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 19:51, Mudpup said:

I have a 1997 2eq Stingray and also had a 2001 3eq at the same time. The 2001 was slimmer front to back (but i still prefer the 1997 which is a bit 'rounder' feeling).

And i had a USA Sterling with the slimmer jazz style neck and didn't get on with it - i prefer something with a bit of meat on it.

I've found a fair difference between EBMMs.  My 2001 SR4 (fretless) is fairly skinny front to back whereas my 2016 SR4 Starry Night PDN is a fair bit chunkier. 

I love the Sterling neck and already miss my US Sterling SUB (bass reduction forced by spouse.....).  I'll have to get another one at some point.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/11/2018 at 10:23, Misdee said:

I don't want to hijack this thread, but are the Stingray Classic necks on the chunky side? I've never got to play one of these basses,  but I really want a Stingray and I much prefer  the old-style 2 band EQ and vintage styling. I'd always presumed that the Classic necks would be fairly slim, like the old Stingrays. Any info gratefully received.

I'm still fairly new to basses but my Stingray Classic's neck seemed thick, certainly way thicker than my tutor's Sandberg California.

21 minutes ago, highwayman said:

I'm still fairly new to basses but my Stingray Classic's neck seemed thick, certainly way thicker than my tutor's Sandberg California.

Sandberg California necks are more like a Jazz neck - very much skinnier than a 'Ray in all dimensions

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, dafonky said:

Pre ernie Stingrays had two different neck sizes :

the standard one was as wide as an early 70‘ies P bass, the option was a narrower jazzbass sized neck......

I think that was only available on the Sabre bass, from 1979.

One factor which influenced my buying a Stingray at the end of the 70s was the playability of the neck - I couldn't get on with the Precision neck - too chunky for my hands..... at least those on sale in shops new in the early 70s were. The Stingray felt a touch narrower at the nut and with a more comfortable radius.

Im astonished that there were options on any basses in shops in the 70s - my recollection was you just found one that basically met your needs, colour wise etc and then bought it - the idea that a special order could be placed was totally alien to me at the time!!! As was asking for a hard case - my new pre EB Stingray (sunburst) was taken home in the hard case I already had - it didn't come with one at all! 

As for modern Stingray v earlier era and pre EB neck profiles, bear in mind the EB ones have always been hand finished so they will vary marginally - the main difference is fingerboard radius:-

Standard EB - 11"

Classic EB - 7.5" 

Pre EB - ?? probably 7.5"

The Slo Special is a neck with a Fender Jazz type width at the nut - presumably 11" radius fingerboard. 

I had probably 20 pre ernies....i was collecting them ....half of them had the narrower neck...and i sold those with the narrow neck,.

because i like the early 70‘ies P bass size necks.....i kept the other pre ernies 😁