Why become a member? ×

TE Gurus regarding onboard compressor

fleabag

Can you guys or gals give me some info on which model TE heads have the dual band compressor fitted ?

In fact, i 'm thinking of  combos more than stand alone heads, as i'm contemplating seeing if i can find a TE amp / Pre pulled from a combo.

I'm also hoping that that any head ( stand alone or pulled from a combo ) will fit a standard 19" , but shallow rack case.  I'm sure the 2 piece vintage

combo amps would be ok in a shallow rack, as i've dismantled my own GP11 Mk V and seen that the pre and amp, although separate,  dont really take up much room front to back

when squeezed together

I think anything called SMX indicates the dual band compressor. You can also get these as an effcts pedal, rare though.

SMC models have a single knob compressor, akin to their Ashdown brethren. However my experience is the TE version works better.

Edited by RandomBass
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, fleabag said:

Just found a GP12  , ( with no SM/C/X  invloved ) with a dual compressor - is this a bit rare, then ?

Fleabag, this is one of the latter year Gibson models of the GP12SMX. I could be wrong here but I think they only made this preamp by this stage dropped the SMX/X branding in favour of GP12 or GP7. I've never noticed the 'thumbs up' for the traffic lights before on these! Brilliant. Mine is a '98, so this would be just pre-Gibson or just after the take over from the TE employees. The serial number might give an indicator as to the year, alternatively you'll need to open 'er up!  

GP12SMX Pre Gibbo.JPG

I suspect that tone-wise you won't be missing out with that combo. I remember some speculation that the latter years weren't as reliable as the pre-Gibson stuff, alas if it's survived this long I think you'd be fine! 

Alternatively I have a spare SMX pedal which is the compressor only you could add into your rig? The SMX heads always had hybrid preamps, but IME the non-SMX heads are very very similar in tone. Stuff seems to have dried up on the used market these days... 

I suppose you're right in that its lasted this long so its ok, but i'm not so much a fan of Gibson TBH, so will stick to pre Gibbo

As for the outboard compressor,  i used to have one, and great they are too, but dont want to add yet more gear - but thanks for the offer MB

I've already got the graphic / pre shape original TE footswitch , which is enough add ons for me   :crazy:

PS you said the SMX were hybrids - i think they may have a valve stage or something ? Not sure how much difference 1 valve will make, though owners

could correct me on that. I know the GP11 Mk V i have here at home  has a fab tone, and i suppose i could steal the amp from that and rack it,  but it would be a shame to dismantle such a vintage beast

33 minutes ago, fleabag said:

PS you said the SMX were hybrids - i think they may have a valve stage or something ? Not sure how much difference 1 valve will make, though owners

could correct me on that. I know the GP11 Mk V i have here at home  has a fab tone, and i suppose i could steal the amp from that and rack it,  but it would be a shame to dismantle such a vintage beast

The SMX series have a valve in the preamp with a blend control. It does add a noticeable warmth  compared to the SMC and Series 6 more than drive - unless you’re really cranking the head. 

Ashdown did better with their hybrids, albeit I found them impossible to make work in a band setting and lacked “Trace Watts”, IMO/IME. 

• Like 1

On 01/05/2018 at 20:15, fleabag said:

So MBA was right and handy info, ta chaps.

Now need to find out if anyone has pulled an smx amp from a combo and whether it fits 19" racks

I took a SMX AH250 Head and fitted it into a Series 6 (narrow width) combo, then mounted the Series 6 amp into a std case.  However, the ‘standard’ TE combos are wider and therefore the amp casing would need a fair bit of tinkering/cutting down to get it to fit into a std rack width.

I’d be interested the seeing the results and what’s necessary to achieve it though 🤔

0C5392AB-A81D-4348-9BAE-98CA943DC4DC.jpeg

Edited by Deedee
Photo added

So the heads with vent plates at each end, that mount the heads in the combos,   i gather will be too long for a 19" rack, but if you take the mount / vent plates out of the equation, the combo head will be too small to fit a 19" rack case ?

Like this

ysCqRsm.jpg

11 hours ago, fleabag said:

So the heads with vent plates at each end, that mount the heads in the combos,   i gather will be too long for a 19" rack, but if you take the mount / vent plates out of the equation, the combo head will be too small to fit a 19" rack case ?

Like this

ysCqRsm.jpg

That’s right.  It’s a shame as there are some great amps effectively left abandoned because they’re attached to a hefty combo.

Many people have just chopped the combo to create a head and disposed of the cab, or kept/reworked the cab and had it as a separate.  If memory serves, I’m pretty sure a well known TE loving member on here had a couple of such cabs up for sale last year.

Edited by Deedee