Why become a member? ×

Gibson files for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy Protection

Chownybass

2 hours ago, neepheid said:

Thanks, Captain Obvious! Now get back in your time machine and try again. You suck at warning people about stuff!

Don't knock it. Off the back of that re-animating post some people have been getting 'likes' for stuff they posted three years ago ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 01/05/2018 at 18:09, Dan Dare said:

I think that making "affordable instruments" is part of Gibson's problem. In addition to the leisure brand acquisitions referred to above, they appear have spread their core business too thin, trying to appeal to everyone. They make solely in the USA (and fair play to them for that), pay people proper wages and as a result, are never going to compete with far eastern manufacturers who hire children, pay them in bags of gravel, don't have to abide by any workplace or materials regulations, etc, etc. When I was young (a loooong time ago), a Gibson was something you aspired to owning. I saved up for several years to buy my first Gibson instrument. Now, every shop seems stuffed with them and they are trying to sell at all price points. They should go back to making things that are special/desirable and leave the entry-level instruments to the mass producers, even if that means, as it undoubtedly  will, that they become smaller (and also leaner and fitter). Just my opinion, of course.

I agree. Look at Heritage guitars, emphasis on craftsmanship and something to aspire to... they've certainly left the mass produced market to others and they seem to be doing well. After all, you look at Alembic, Wal, Sadowsky etc and they've carved out a place in the market, I'm sure Gibson could with a return to core values.

14 minutes ago, Boodang said:

I agree. Look at Heritage guitars, emphasis on craftsmanship and something to aspire to... they've certainly left the mass produced market to others and they seem to be doing well. After all, you look at Alembic, Wal, Sadowsky etc and they've carved out a place in the market, I'm sure Gibson could with a return to core values.

Gibson are doing fine now, this is a zombie thread from 3 years ago.

Seem to be a lot of people joining to revive old threads at the moment!

2 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Gibson are doing fine now, this is a zombie thread from 3 years ago.

Seem to be a lot of people joining to revive old threads at the moment!

See, that's what happens when you read threads with xmas hangover still in effect!

Still, it made me look at Gibsons and now I want a Thunderbird!

• Like 1