Why become a member? ×

Should I stay or should I go?

17 minutes ago, MrDaveTheBass said:

Life is too short. If you're not having fun, walk. Remember too that it's possible to improve your bandmate's musically, but completely impossible to fix their personalities.

This, with bells on. Just add on a chinning...

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, discreet said:

I know from bitter experience that people are lazy and will try to get away with minimum effort. A mediocre player who imagines they are doing a good job  will not improve regardless of how much you want them to. They are just wasting their time, and yours.

Yeah, I've met them too! :crazy:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MrDaveTheBass said:

Yeah, I've met them too! :crazy:

Music seems to attract so many delusional people. Do they imagine it's an easy option? Anything worth doing demands commitment, focus and drive. Music is no exception, though you wouldn't think so given the thousands of deadbeat wannabe nut-jobs making a terrible racket in rehearsal rooms up and down the country... :D

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, discreet said:

Music seems to attract so many delusional people. Do they imagine it's an easy option? Anything worth doing demands commitment, focus and drive. Music is no exception, though you wouldn't think so given the thousands of deadbeat wannabe nut-jobs making a terrible racket in rehearsal rooms up and down the country... :D

This. Myself and an old guitarist were in a 4 piece band with 2 intelligent but flaky individuals (singer and drummer).  We used to rehearse in their house but they were always late for rehearsals.  Upstairs fannying about/power play.

After a year of this nonsense the guitarist and I quit, set up our own band.  Within 2 weeks I found our drummer at a New Year's Eve gig playing in a top function band.  He just recently played 3 sell out nights at the Royal Albert Hall with Steven Wilson and a singer who was an understudy in the West End playing a young Elvis.  

We rehearsed like crazy and our first gig (3 months later) was on a TV show and we signed management contracts and later an independent record deal to record singles with Dave Allen (cure's producer) in a top studio.  Unfortunately in the end it never happened for lots of different reasons but it goes to show that when everybody is 'committed, focused and driven' anything is possible.

This is why amateur bands with amateur attitudes frustrate me so much.

• Like 2

Just now, pbasspecial said:

This. Myself and an old guitarist were in a 4 piece band with 2 intelligent but flaky individuals (singer and drummer).  We used to rehearse in their house but they were always late for rehearsals.  Upstairs fannying about/power play.

After a year of this nonsense the guitarist and I quit, set up our own band.  Within 2 weeks I found our drummer at a New Year's Eve gig playing in a top function band.  He just recently played 3 sell out nights at the Royal Albert Hall with Steven Wilson and a singer who was an understudy in the West End playing a young Elvis.  

We rehearsed like crazy and our first gig (3 months later) was on a TV show and we signed management contracts and later an independent record deal to record singles with Dave Allen (cure's producer) in a top studio.  Unfortunately in the end it never happened for lots of different reasons but it goes to show that when everybody is 'committed, focused and driven' anything is possible.

This is why amateur bands with amateur attitudes frustrate me so much.

But if they're having fun and not harming anyone, all to the good. (They're also keeping the rehearsal studios open!)

No one is ever obliged to join a sh*it band. 

And everyone has to start somewhere. 

1 minute ago, Al Krow said:

But if they're having fun and not harming anyone, all to the good. (They're also keeping the rehearsal studios open!)

And everyone has to start somewhere. 

I agree but not when you're 35

3 hours ago, pbasspecial said:

Latest update:

Finally got a text from the drummer - 'where and what time?'

Wow. Thanks for acknowledging the seriousness of the situation! 

I don't know whether to take that as a warning sign in itself...it does remind me of one band I quit where the singer showed his true colours pretty quickly. I decided to be as diplomatic as possible and explained that I didn't have time for the things they wanted to do (read: all the horsing around that went on behind the scenes), and the two guitarists and drummer went to similar lengths to write back saying they were sorry to see me go, but they understood that I had other priorities and wished me all the best.

Response from singer? "no worries mate thanks for letting us know"

23 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

It's not always obvious. I joined a great band - really fantastic drummer, guitarist and singer. Rehearsals went incredibly well and I had high hopes.

Long story short - they had NO intention of EVER doing any gigs. Why, I'll never know, but they deliberately kept it from me and led me right down the garden path for months on end. I was not best pleased when the facts became apparent, not least because I'm no spring chicken and really don't have time to waste!

Deadbeat nut-jobs!

9 minutes ago, discreet said:

I joined a great band - really fantastic drummer, guitarist and singer. Rehearsals went incredibly well and I had high hopes.

Ok they had different goals and didn't want to gig (and why they weren't open about this is definitely weird. Probably scared of you).

But the point is, as you say, you joined a great band.

No one is obliged to join a sh*it band.

Edited by Al Krow

9 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

No one is obliged to join a sh*it band.

I understand what youre saying, but my point is, it's not always obvious. A band can sound good and the people can seem fine. What actually makes it a sh*t band may only surface over time, like turds in sewage. :biggrin:

But yes, if the drummer is obviously crap or the guitarist way too loud or the singer obviously not a singer then I'd move on immediately.

However it's not always clear-cut and I know that if you don't live near a large city then your options will be limited and it may be necessary to compromise somewhat.

It's all well and good having high standards, but if that means staying at home and not playing then it becomes another issue in itself.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pbasspecial said:

I agree but not when you're 35

Disagree - I was 51 when I first picked up a bass and although I know I'm a long way behind the curve, I'm taking it very seriously indeed. It helps that I have played other instruments in the past and can read music, I mustard mitt. But IMHO attitude is more important than aptitude, in that if you practise regularly, play with and be willing to learn from other people and don't think you're awesome from day one, then you will get better. Might take a wee while, but effort will pay off, whether you're sixteen or sixty. But you have to put the effort in in the first place, and from reading the forums here, that seems to be a huge problem - fantasists thinking they're a lot better than they are. Age shouldn't be an issue.

Just my 0.02.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, lozkerr said:

Disagree - I was 51 when I first picked up a bass and although I know I'm a long way behind the curve, I'm taking it very seriously indeed. It helps that I have played other instruments in the past and can read music, I mustard mitt. But IMHO attitude is more important than aptitude, in that if you practise regularly, play with and be willing to learn from other people and don't think you're awesome from day one, then you will get better. Might take a wee while, but effort will pay off, whether you're sixteen or sixty. But you have to put the effort in in the first place, and from reading the forums here, that seems to be a huge problem - fantasists thinking they're a lot better than they are. Age shouldn't be an issue.

Just my 0.02.

yeah I was 53 when I started playing bass, although I did play guitar in a limited sort of way before that, bit like my bass playing now xD

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, discreet said:

Just for the record I've been playing bass since I was fourteen and there are certain things up with which I will not put! :D

Works both ways... I was singing in a cathedral choir at fourteen in concerts that were broadcast on Radio 3. I also had a part in an opera directed by the Master of the Queen's Music. 

But you really don't want to hear me now, unless you have a fetish for bad karaoke :D

Edited by lozkerr
bad gramer. Sory.

Kiemsa were youngsters (very early twenties...), and, when looking for a drummer, didn't want to consider anyone 'old' (over thirty, for instance...). Danny-boy was auditioned, despite this, at thirty-four, and the rest is history. Fitted into the team like a glove, and remained a mainstay for several years, certainly contributing much to their success. Moral..? Age is very often a false factor.
Just sayin'.

• Like 1

Just now, Dave Vader said:

I don't have to improve just because they want me to

And you can't make me :P

Ha! :) But Dave, you don't ponce around the place like... like a big ponce, being fashionably late and telling people what a fantastic guitarist you are and how you drive everywhere in a gold Rolls-Royce.

13 minutes ago, discreet said:

Ha! :) But Dave, you don't ponce around the place like... like a big ponce, being fashionably late and telling people what a fantastic guitarist you are and how you drive everywhere in a gold Rolls-Royce.

That is because I have my Gran's old shitty Hyundai that will never die

and I am a big ponce

• Thanks 1