Why become a member? ×

Should I stay or should I go?

I wonder how many of you fellow BC'ers find yourself in this predicament.

You are in a good band musically, you like most of the material but it's the little and some big things that drive you up the wall with the other members.  

Backstory:

The singer/guitarist and I formed this band as an offshoot of a previous band where the drummer left to join a classic heavy rock covers band, we are a funkyish blues band.  He was a great guy but a very basic drummer.  He was getting frustrated by not gigging and the slow progress of the singer/guitarist. 

We replaced him with a much better drummer but not as much fun as a person.  He also doesn't drive ?! And is not pro active with band stuff, doesn't make eye contact and is still making mistakes with endings, tempo, etc.  Has the ability but doesn't practice enough.  I also find him a little bit difficult to lock in with musically and as a person.

The singer/guitarist about 6 months ago decided that the band should change its name to the his name group as it would be better to sell it (we have a few really good original songs and it was my idea that we should do the covers band and record an album too of originals).  Wasn't to keen on this as he and I had been co-founders and now it seems like a power grab or at least far too soon.  His singing is ok but not great and his guitar playing is ok but not amazing enough to market yourself as the next Clapton, bonamassa, Gary Clarke jr.  Feel like he feels he's there but he's a long way off.  Not progressing wether that's arrogance, talent, lack of practice, fear or a combination.

He is always late to rehearsals (therefore so is the drummer), takes ages setting up, spends too much time talking, guitar amp far too loud, doesn't take suggestions well.  Too laid back but in a potentially passive aggressive way/I do what I want way.

I own the PA, video the gigs, book rehearsals, now booking gigs, etc and the others are doing very little work.  I also have a degree in Music Business (ACM), used to be a music manager and have loads of contacts.  Feel like my advice is falling on deaf ears.

We have recently started gigging but it's only about once a month.  It is only me that manages to bring a handful of people, the rest of the band make no effort (that's the venues job).

The singer/guitarist works for a music distribution company and the drummer works with marketing/social media.  

This band should have every chance of success but feel like I am banging my head against a brick wall.

What do you guys think I should do?  Generally want some useful advice

I'm afraid it's a decision for you, we've all got shortcomings, some peoples you can put up with, some peoples you can't, all bands have stuff going on but only you can decide if it's piissing you off enough to leave

• Like 1

you need to have a "I'm not happy for these reasons" chat. Can we do something about this, if not then decide if you are willing to tolerate it, although I suspect it will eat you up, or leave. alternatively back burner it in to a low maintenance project, start something else and see what happens.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

I really couldn't be in a band which is named after one member...stinks of narcissism. 

if he's a really good front man he's probably a narcissist, most are xD

drummers that don't drive aren't a problem as long as someone else is happy to transport them and their gear around, otherwise it is a no no for me as well

• Like 3

I'd quit, non-driving drummers can be a real pain, means they aren't responsible for getting their own kit to a show, so they get sloppy, and not driving can mean they'll drink & smoke more than is good for the music. I'm slowly stepping away from a band I've been in for the last five years as this becomes more and more of an issue.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

I really couldn't be in a band which is named after one member...stinks of narcissism and egotism. 

What if he happened  to be called Jeff Beck?

Edited by Al Krow
  • Haha 1

Sounds like a case of sack it off. You have a PA. You are a very attractive prospect for existing bands... or in an ideal position to start again and be more critical when it comes to hiring.

Life too short for that kind of shizzle.

Enjoy the inevitable bad mouthing though if you do decide to uproot.

Edited by EBS_freak
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

...any drummer who doesn’t drive isn’t a drummer, they are a royal pain in the a*** 

In fairness, that's a generalisation,  and also a bit harsh. I played for years in a band with a drummer who did not drive, due to his eye sight. He was a great drummer and a nice guy all round. The other band members and I,  shared the transport duties. I would prefer a non driving drummer with a pro attitude  over a driving one with a bad and lazy attitude.   

Edited by Coilte
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Trueno said:

I agree with all of the above. It actually sounds like YOU are the band. Just get a new drummer and a new singer/guitarist and you're good to go. 

In which case it should be renamed "pbassspecial and the dreamers"? xD

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Coilte said:

In fairness, that's a generalisation,  and also a bit harsh. I played for years in a band with a drummer who did not drive, due to his eye sight. He was a great drummer and a nice guy all round. The other band members and I,  shared the transport duties. I would prefer a non driving drummer with a pro attitude  over a driving one with a bad and lazy attitude.   

It is a generalisation but it isn’t harsh. Obviously your drummer was an exception, and, given those circumstances, I would have happily shared transport duties too. I would also favour a non-driving drummer with a pro attitude over a driving drummer with a bad and lazy attitude, thing is in my experience, including fifteen years being a drum tech for touring bands, I have never met the former but have encountered a plethora of the latter.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Frank Blank said:

It is a generalisation but it isn’t harsh. Obviously your drummer was an exception, and, given those circumstances, I would have happily shared transport duties too. I would also favour a non-driving drummer with a pro attitude over a driving drummer with a bad and lazy attitude, thing is in my experience, including fifteen years being a drum tech for touring bands, I have never met the former but have encountered a plethora of the latter.

Obviously my experience with drummers is different from yours. Guess I'm  just lucky.

FWIW...I still think the.....'any drummer who doesn’t drive isn’t a drummer..." statement IS harsh. They may have valid reasons (like my drummer) for not driving.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Coilte said:

FWIW...I still think the.....'any drummer who doesn’t drive isn’t a drummer..." statement IS harsh. They may have valid reasons (like my drummer) for not driving.

And as I said, your drummer is a reasonable exception. As someone who relied on being driven to rehearsals by a bandmate with my bass gear for a few month before I passed my driving test (I hope I behaved very professionally) perhaps I am being too harsh. 

• Like 2

I've had to drive two drummers (and their kits) around in the past... it was a total PITA. The were both good drummers, however, and they were also jolly good eggs. I don't even have a car now and I don't think I could even fit the flightcase for my Jazz into Mrs Trueno's Fiat 500.

• Like 1