Why become a member? ×

Buyer's Remorse (or Not Buying Remorse!)

Bigwan

Following on from Quilly's Seller's Remorse thread and the comment I made about regretting buying (or not buying!) much more than selling, what have you bought (or not!) and regretted it?

For me I regret buying (actually less than I was expecting!):

Anything with Ernie Ball on the headstock - So a Stingray 5, a Stingray 4, a Bongo 5 and a Bongo 4.

Anything made by Darkglass (except the M900 amp which was well lush!): B3k (3 times), VMT, B7K, Vintage Ultra (although it was good, it just wasn't anywhere near as good as the M900 it replaced).

Shuker Custom 6 string. For some reason I thought a 6 string was a great idea. I'd never owned one before. Thick end of 2 grand pretty much wasted. Quality was great though.

Peavey 810TX. Who needs vertebrae, eh? Seemed like a great idea, and sounded pretty good but moving it on my own was not much fun.

Aguilar AG500. Meh. Just not me.

"Goodfellow" 4 string. Turned out it was cobbled together with leftovers from the Lowden factory-era. Utter rubbish.

Regret not buying:

Refinished Fender '65 P bass in Ruddy's, New York about 10 years ago. Should have got the credit card out on the spot. Opened the P bass flood gates for me.

Late 70's Fender Mustang I was offered in my late teens. It wasn't pointy/metal enough for me at the time even if it was the most comfortable bass I'd played up to that point. The guy's opening gambit was a ton (in '94), so I could have got it cheaper.

Celinder "Skarbee" Update 4. In the top 3 basses I've ever had in my hands. Again, should have got the credit card out on the spot.

Good question. I'm not sure if there's anything I have regretted buying. I've enjoyed the learning process goes with having time to really play an instrument or amp before letting it go. I live in an area where it is monumentally difficult to try out bass gear, so buying secondhand seems to be the best option.

I've a weird OCD-like tendency to analyse and pick apart every potential purchase to a point of driving myself up the wall. I guess it's part of my nature to not be able to leave anything alone until I've figured it out (bass lines, improving my playing etc) so I guess that has been part and parcel with the above that has made buying stuff lots of fun...even if I do have to sell it after! 

Things I wish I had bought? Only the lack of funds have been the decider. Kinda wish I could buy a nice vintage YOB Fender P bass though! and a... oh and a... then there's a .. I'd like..

Oh wait!! I've just thought of something! I mean, I really had no money to even entertain the idea at the time, but I was offered a pair of ex-demo FR800's last year. I regret not selling my kidneys to buy them.  There ya go! 

I bought an Ashdown 300 4 x10 combo a couple years ago. It sounded good when I demo’d It, nice tight sound, plenty of wattage for pub gigs, just what I’m looking for I thought. It was very heavy though, but I thought I could live with it. 

Oh how I was wrong. Nearly put my back out trying to lift it into the back of my car, sounded terrible at gig volume, and just wasn’t loud enough. No amount of eq’ing could make it poke through the mix at a gig. I hated it and moved it on (at a small profit!) within a fortnight of getting it. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, christhammer666 said:

buying-Any 5 string I keep comvincing myself I can play. my hands just aint big enough.

That sounds surprising, although I know everyone's different. But I'm female, with girl-size hands and I can play a five-string Fender just fine. Although I did have a bit of a wobble about that when I first tried it. Soon got the hang of it, though!

Edited by lozkerr

On 01/05/2018 at 15:39, christhammer666 said:

buying-Any 5 string I keep comvincing myself I can play. my hands just aint big enough.

not buying- a beaten up mim precision that went on ebay for £170 a few months back

Shows how different we are. I only play 5 strings, but when I played a 4 I avoided the P as my hands aren't big enough!

Lots of things I regret not getting, although not much.

As for buying - the GV36 was a bit of a waste, although I only know that by buying it. The Ashdown MiBass 220 maybe although it was cheap, so regret is probably not the right word, and I use it in the house. The 2 squier Bass VIs I guess, but I enjoyed both of them.