Why become a member? ×

May Composition Challenge - GET WRITING

Skol303

May's Composition Challenge is now underway!

Here’s the image for your inspiration, chosen by last month's winner, Rikki1984… 

The_Temple.jpg

Rules:

• Avoid any content that other forum users may find offensive.
  • Make sure you have permission to use any 3rd party sounds and samples in your track.
  • Entries should be no more than five minutes long and written/produced during the month of the competition.

The deadline for entries is midnight on Thursday 24th May.

Been a long time since last on here but started writing again recently, here is something I did today. 

The Bare Bones for a song. Might call it Hope Inside.
Will update it if I get a chance to finish it before the deadline.

Edited by Old_Ben
Fix link
  • Like 1

Here's mine. Had a nice opportunity to test drive the appropriately-named Temple Drums from Soundiron and the new Ethera EVI vocal/synth library. Also in here are some amazing instruments from Sound Dust - Cloud Cello, Cloud Bass and Plastic Ghost Piano (which is mixed with a sprinkling of The Giant piano which you may remember from some of my earlier tracks).

I went for the story that I saw in the picture - the German U-boat docking next to a mysterious temple as part of Hitler's obsession with the occult. The lone figure gets drawn deeper into the temple's mysteries and never comes back out.

Edited by Mornats
  • Like 2

Thanks :D I've got a few versions of Ethera. The vocal phrases are sublime and this one, plus the Ethera Soundscapes one have a lot of synth, soundscape, ambient texture type stuff that's really good quality. I use them quite a lot in my tracks.

• Like 1

Oh,, we have a challenge in progress :D

i am well impressed so far, great stuff, I have a musical outline ready to enter , but think a vocal would work on it. 

I might upload the instrumental and edit if I get the right voicing , I won't subject you to my dire vocal tones this month xD

Here is my contribution to the May 2018 Basschat Composition Challenge, inspired by a picture chosen by last month's winner: Rikki1984.
The ruined vestiges of a once-powerful empire, long-since engulfed by the ocean's depths. Joined, many centuries later, by a now-rotting hulk, another failure of mankind, another symbol of the ephemeral nature of 'power'.
Quite complex, really, combining deceptively simple percussive elements (cymbal swells, taiko drums and more...) with more exotic timbres, such as sitars and operatic voices, (very...) deeply underpinned with several drones, aptly generated by a software synth, 'Atlantis' (the name is not a coincidence, but the appropriate timbre of the sounds certainly is...). The ocean's voice is expressed through renderings from hump-backed whales; these may well be leagues away, as their tones carry over vast distances under the surface.
Thanks for listening, if you already have; if you're about to, enjoy.

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 1

I'm in 

what we have here is a random composition attained by preloading some drum patterns and instrumentation onto the keyboard , choosing a style for it to play in (C&W with a little seg in the middle to ID it) and then choosing a chord sequence for it to follow.

The random bit comes in as I chose 3 chords all a semitone apart and changed them on every beat , except the little country bit in the middle, this put the 3 chords on a different part of the beat each time around until 12, I think, I couldn't work that bit out !

Still , it seems to work , but may of benefitted from shortening a touch , but I was in the groove playing it and couldn't find the way out of it :$

enjoy

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, SH73 said:

is it too late to enter?

Probably :(  as Skol has set the poll up he would need to amend it and as he hasn't clocked your tag , he is probably busy doing family stuff , by all means post your tune , and we can work out whether the voting poll can be edited when he logs in :friends:

55 minutes ago, lurksalot said:

Probably :(  as Skol has set the poll up he would need to amend it and as he hasn't clocked your tag , he is probably busy doing family stuff , by all means post your tune , and we can work out whether the voting poll can be edited when he logs in :friends:

cheers. I'm not near my pc but will do this afternoon 

• Like 1