Why become a member? ×

Seller's Remorse

Quilly

Trace Elliot SMC7215, Warwick Corvette Fretless (German), Musicman Stingray, Fender Jazz (Jap), Ashdown Little Bastard, 1976 Rickenbacker 4001 ...There are among the items I regret selling. Why do we but these and why do we sell them (and what do we regret selling them). Whats your item(s) that you wish you had back.    

Only one bit of seller's remorse here

Fender Precision sunburst/maple/tortoise shell - bought brand new from Guitar Village in Shaftesbury Avenue, London in October 1973 (and I have still got the receipt). Sold in January 1978, to a music shop in Colchester (Oasis Music if i remember correctly).

Big big mistake - but needs must when the devil (the bank manager at the time) drives.

Chris

Edited by Chezz55
Additional info

My Stingray was a real work horse of a bass, had it for 11+ years. But it was becoming less and less my go-to bass. I came to prefer more passive sounding P and J type basses and I grew tired of its tone and weight. Whenever I hear Fugazi I get a little sad though.

1 hour ago, Chezz55 said:

Only one bit of seller's remorse here

Fender Precision sunburst/maple/tortoise shell - bought brand new from Guitar Village in Shaftesbury Avenue, London in October 1973 (and I have still got the receipt). Sold in January 1978, to a music shop in Colchester (Oasis Music if i remember correctly).

Big big mistake - but needs must when the devil (the bank manager at the time) drives.

Chris

I have one of those :)

I must of been lucky so far and not regretted any yet. (close is the Wal pro I exchanged for a Warwick custom build back in the 80's, but went on to use the Warwick for another 15 years.

Normally I have exchanged for another bass and not just funds.

In 26 years...

Tecamp Puma 212 Combo - best bass combo in the world I think. But I had given up on bands at the time.

Ashdown LB30 & matching LB212 cab. Ditto.

Fender Roscoe Beck V. Sold because I was on a 4 string trip at the time. I'll maybe get another one day. Really, really nice bass.

Squier SQ Precision. Really abused by former owner but sounded and felt glorious. Bought for a ton and sold in a fit of insanity. Way better than my USA P, but it was a wedding present from my wife.

83 Wal Custom. Not that I really liked it that much, but regret because I sold it cheap. Nowadays it'd be worth more than twice what I sold it for!!!

Actually I've regretted buying (or not buying!) much more than I've regretted selling...

Edited by Bigwan

30 minutes ago, Bigwan said:

In 26 years...

Tecamp Puma 212 Combo - best bass combo in the world I think. But I had given up on bands at the time.

Ashdown LB30 & matching LB212 cab. Ditto.

Fender Roscoe Beck V. Sold because I was on a 4 string trip at the time. I'll maybe get another one day. Really, really nice bass.

Squier SQ Precision. Really abused by former owner but sounded and felt glorious. Bought for a ton and sold in a fit of insanity. Way better than my USA P, but it was a wedding present from my wife.

83 Wal Custom. Not that I really liked it that much, but regret because I sold it cheap. Nowadays it'd be worth more than twice what I sold it for!!!

Actually I've regretted buying (or not buying!) much more than I've regretted selling...

I bought a cheapo Bugera BVV3000, All valve 300W head once and it sounded fantastic. It weighed a ton and was a bit impractical. It would have been a great amp to leave in a rehearsal room. For all the badmouthing Bugera get I honestly could not fault that amp. The Little Bastard was the best sounding amp I ever owned. 

Sold (and bought) a load of stuff over the last three years, my only regret (weirdly...) was the Cort C4H I sold. It wasn't the most expensive but the double MM style humbuckers just gave it an awesome tone. It was also really light and comfortable to play... so why did I sell it... no idea...

2 hours ago, Quilly said:

Trace Elliot SMC7215, Warwick Corvette Fretless (German), Musicman Stingray, Fender Jazz (Jap), Ashdown Little Bastard, 1976 Rickenbacker 4001 ...There are among the items I regret selling. Why do we but these and why do we sell them (and what do we regret selling them). Whats your item(s) that you wish you had back.    

We buy them because we want them. We sell them because we can't afford to buy other stuff we need unless we do. There's two basses I would love to have back, I know where they are (kinda) but seeing them again is probably unlikely.. a bit like my music career lol. 

12 minutes ago, dood said:

We buy them because we want them. We sell them because we can't afford to buy other stuff we need unless we do. There's two basses I would love to have back, I know where they are (kinda) but seeing them again is probably unlikely.. a bit like my music career lol. 

Hi Dood, saw your review on the Ashdown CTM-100 and it was the final straw for me GAS wise. I DO NOT REGRET THAT PURCHASE!!.  

Just now, Quilly said:

Hi Dood, saw your review on the Ashdown CTM-100 and it was the final straw for me GAS wise. I DO NOT REGRET THAT PURCHASE!!.  

Ahh, yes.. I could be a little to blame for other people's GAS :) lol lol - Thank you, I am really pleased it was helpful. I LOVE that part of my job. god I love bass gear :) 

2 minutes ago, dood said:

Ahh, yes.. I could be a little to blame for other people's GAS :) lol lol - Thank you, I am really pleased it was helpful. I LOVE that part of my job. god I love bass gear :) 

I love bass gear also but I have very limited space to store it all in, so I've had to adopt a strict 'gear in, gear out' policy.  It makes for very very hard decisions. :facepalm:

At the risk of being a party pooper, I very rarely if ever suffer from post-sale angst. I do get qualms sometimes before putting stuff up, but I can always provide a rationale for selling so once it's gone it's gone and I can invariably wish the new owner well with little or no regret.

I guess a lot of it is down to why you buy & sell equipment in the first place. If you do it primarily because you love basses and are prepared to pay the cost of that infatuation then fine (no criticism implied), but I tried always to take the view that they're tools built to do a job and that anything I bought had to earn it's keep irrespective of my views about it as an object. With one or two notable exceptions I have stayed faithful to this mantra over the years.

Been there...I even bought back my Overwater Custom Jazz last year which I'd foolishly sold. I'm tempted to buy back the Status Kingbass which Snoop is selling which used to be mine but that would mean I had 6 or 7 basses which I'd "never sell"...

Some people see instruments as tools, merely bits of metal and wood that do a job, to me they're much more than this so when I sell items that I've bonded with I, in my mind quite naturally, feel sellers remorse.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheGreek said:

merely bits of metal and wood that do a job

I never saw them as merely bits of wood and metal - I'd hate to think that anybody might view a finely crafted musical instrument in those terms - but in my world they were there mostly to do a job, yes.

I've sold off a fair few instruments in my time and don't regret getting rid of any of the 5 basses. However, i wish I hadn't sold my white, US made Tele on EBay though i got a good auction price for it. Also regret selling a really good pair of Toca congas. Times were hard then and I needed the cash to pay of debts.

Edited by Barking Spiders