Why become a member? Read more... ×
Phil Starr

Easy 12" cab build

5 hours ago, Johnny Wishbone said:

Update: the wood for my pair of cabs has finally been sourced, cut to size and is being delivered tomorrow!

@Phil Starr I recall you saying that the 50l cabs are still a one hand lift - is a decent quality strap handle all that’s required?

Mine are built with 12mm Baltic birch ply and weigh about 14kg. All I have is a reasonable strap handle and I usually carry one in each hand. I'm a not particularly big 66 year old so a long way from being a superman. The only problem is that they bang against your legs a bit 

• Thanks 1

On 11/07/2018 at 21:36, Gottastopbuyinggear said:

If that’s a success then I’ll have a couple of Beymas going spare

@Gottastopbuyinggear If you do decide to move those on I'd take them off your hands. Just about to start building this week!

I used a strap handle on my 25kg 1x12 I made ages ago (18mm baltic birch, using the EV TL806 plans). I used teenuts for the strap bolts though - not just a screw into the cab timber. It was absolutely fine. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RichardH said:

I used teenuts for the strap bolts though - not just a screw into the cab timber. It was absolutely fine. 

Yup, tee-nuts are on the way.  I definitely won't be using just woodscrews!

Ha ha, because I rarely get past the 'prototype' stage mine still haven't had the woodscrews replaced with proper T-nuts.

12 hours ago, Johnny Wishbone said:

@Gottastopbuyinggear If you do decide to move those on I'd take them off your hands. Just about to start building this week!

I think I’ll be hanging onto them to be honest - Plus they’re still in the cabs at the moment, and the Beta 12s are still in their boxes!

I bought the strap handles I used, along with the bulk of the rest of the hardware, from Blue Aran.  They have a metal strip inside the rubber outer so they’ll take plenty of weight.  After you’ve used them they won’t go back completely flat, but that’s probably not an issue.  T-nuts definitely though.  Here’s one of mine before I put the grilles on...

A3064B98-4B5B-4048-B022-2A11EB762873.jpeg

• Like 2

I get real pleasure at seeing that, and in knowing it is used and loved. Thanks

just a quick one Lidl's have a special offer on table saws. 10" 2000W saw for £99. That's a bargain. I've used one of these aluminium topped little table saws for years before upgrading to something more professional. If you are cutting a lot of panels or just slicing up offcuts for bracing a cab then they are way better than a circular saw. Set up carefully they can be very accurate but they are fiddly (I built windows and doors including all the tenons with my old one) and less repeatable than a pro bench saw. Lidl's are also doing corner clamps for £5.99 useful if you are about to build.

• Like 1

You've got me excited about table saws now, Phil. However, I REALLY shouldn't be buying tools when we are expecting to move house in the near future. I checked Screwfix, and they actually have one for £109 - 1500W rather than 2000W, but it's comforting to know that it's possible to get something for not much more £££ than the LIdi special, so I really shouldn't rush in ;)

Edited by RichardH

3 minutes ago, RichardH said:

You've got me excited about table saws now, Phil. However, I REALLY shouldn't be buying tools when we are expecting to move house in the near future. I checked Screwfix, and they actually have one for £109 - 1500W rather than 2000W, but it's comforting to know that it's possible to get something for not much more £££ than the LIdi special, so I really shouldn't rush in ;)

That’s the one I have. Certainly got my money’s worth out of it!