Why become a member? ×

Can't see Fret Markers

Bassmonkey

Hi - I recently picked up a Gibson Victory Artist. It's blooming lovely however, I struggle to see the fret markers while on stage. They are a bit smaller than I have been used to. I really don't want to mark the neck permanently but wonder if anyone has any suggestions to help? I wondered about some kind of nail varnish/paint/marker type solutions but really want to be able to remove as and when I need. I guess fret marker lights would be the optimum solution but that's a bit drastic - suppose could get some bottle bottom spex? Any ideas? Thanks Andy  

Thanks guys. Have ordered the Glowtech ones. I'll let you know how they are. Figured they'd be neater than the nail varnish option as I am completely cack handed so will see. May end up reverting depending on how good they are. Appreciate the advice all. Andy

50 minutes ago, Bassmonkey said:

Thanks guys. Have ordered the Glowtech ones. I'll let you know how they are. Figured they'd be neater than the nail varnish option as I am completely cack handed so will see. May end up reverting depending on how good they are. Appreciate the advice all. Andy

I have ordered some as well, I gigged the other week with my USA sub which has the biggest markers of all my basses and yet I still couldn't see a thing, it's amazing how quickly it saps the confidence!

6 hours ago, Bassmonkey said:

Hi - I recently picked up a Gibson Victory Artist. It's blooming lovely however, I struggle to see the fret markers while on stage. They are a bit smaller than I have been used to. I really don't want to mark the neck permanently but wonder if anyone has any suggestions to help? I wondered about some kind of nail varnish/paint/marker type solutions but really want to be able to remove as and when I need. I guess fret marker lights would be the optimum solution but that's a bit drastic - suppose could get some bottle bottom spex? Any ideas? Thanks Andy  

Should have gone to Specsavers 😀

On 4/30/2018 at 16:24, Bassmonkey said:

I've done various things. On a lacquered maple neck, I've used black marker to paint big dots. They do get erased over time but they're easy to repaint. Done carefully they look good too, and they're easy to remove without leaving marks.

On rosewood fingerboards, a bit of tippex works well and it's also easy to remove without marks.

On 4/30/2018 at 17:26, Bassmonkey said:

Years ago I bought something similar (not the same ones 'though) and they worked well but the glue was not very strong and they ended up moving about and losing a few frequently. I hope these ones are a bit better.

I used to struggle with vintage basses on a darkened stage, those old fret markers are almost the same colour as the neck. I got a roll of luminous tape from Amazon and used a belt hole tool, one which you can chose from several different sizes and pushed out the dots and put them on the neck. They stay on for as long as you want but can peel them off when you don’t want them anymore, plus you can chose the size you want 🎸

Appreciate the advice all. In the end I bought those Glowtech ones. Really easy to apply and work a treat. I bought a keyring UV light to charge em with and they worked great. They feel pretty well stuck on too. problem solved. As for "Why worry about seeing them?......" Why do you think?  

Edited by Bassmonkey
removed repetition
  • Like 3