Why become a member? ×

2 x 15" set up

Kevin Dean

2 hours ago, Kevin Dean said:

At the moment my choice is a Ashdown RM 15"  & RN1 x12"   both with Sica upgrades . I fancy the idea of a 2nd 15" RM  .

It is a good set up with the 2x RM fifteens. Haven't yet done the 15+ 2*10 but the 2*10 on its own sounds good.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

It is a good set up with the 2x RM fifteens. Haven't yet done the 15+ 2*10 but the 2*10 on its own sounds good.

I have a 2 x10 & for me playing plectrum style it doesn't have the mid punch & depth the 12  or the 15 has .

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/9/2018 at 21:12, Kevin Dean said:

I have a 2 x10 & for me playing plectrum style it doesn't have the mid punch & depth the 12  or the 15 has .

I rarely play with a pick at all but I generally find I get a bit of something different from the 2x10. It's not as "full" and rounded a sound as from the fifteen but there's something different I can't put my finger on. 

I stacked the 2x10 and the 1x15 together last week for the first time and will gig them on Sunday night. At very low volume it sounded good, but think I'll always prefer the 2x15 sound. 

A manufacturer does need to make a 2x15 that doesn't upset the wife/ partner/ significant other by taking up so much space though...

IMG_20180515_103033.jpg

• Like 1

On 4/30/2018 at 02:44, Bill Fitzmaurice said:

I used a 2x15 in the 80s, now I use a 1x12 that I like better, especially when I have to move it. But I won't compromise my sound for convenience. I have not. ^_^

May I ask which speaker you're using Bill, I assume one of your own?

15 hours ago, Chaddy said:

In your experience,  how are these cabs? Been looking around myself for 1x15s atm 

Pretty good so far. Better than most 15s I e played. I like the EVTL606 style and had a couple of old Mesa cabs based on that in the 90s. These are similar. As an experiment I’m about to change the driver in one as I’ve read a lot of people upgrade them with great results.

standard tone has quite a lot of bite with the midrange you seem to get from some 15s over say 410s.  Upgrading the driver adds a bit more top and bottom I believe. 

I had a berg 412 before which was a bit more sophisticated but I wanted the additional height as I  am tall and these are pretty portable.

im sure I’ll get picked apart for this but I always preferred the spread of sound from a big driver. Particularly with distortion.  

I think that’s why pick players like these cabs for Grindy tones. 

Also these cabs take a fair bit of punishment. I had some SWR 15s that would blow as soon as you looked at them  

13 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

I rarely play with a pick at all but I generally find I get a bit of something different from the 2x10. It's not as "full" and rounded a sound as from the fifteen but there's something different I can't put my finger on. 

I stacked the 2x10 and the 1x15 together last week for the first time and will gig them on Sunday night. At very low volume it sounded good, but think I'll always prefer the 2x15 sound. 

A manufacturer does need to make a 2x15 that doesn't upset the wife/ partner/ significant other by taking up so much space though...

IMG_20180515_103033.jpg

If You get a chance try a RM 1 x12 on top of the 15 ..I found that the 15 gave a rounded mellow low & the12 went pretty low but added mid punch .

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, tonyxtiger said:

Pretty good so far. Better than most 15s I e played. I like the EVTL606 style and had a couple of old Mesa cabs based on that in the 90s. These are similar. As an experiment I’m about to change the driver in one as I’ve read a lot of people upgrade them with great results.

standard tone has quite a lot of bite with the midrange you seem to get from some 15s over say 410s.  Upgrading the driver adds a bit more top and bottom I believe. 

I had a berg 412 before which was a bit more sophisticated but I wanted the additional height as I  am tall and these are pretty portable.

im sure I’ll get picked apart for this but I always preferred the spread of sound from a big driver. Particularly with distortion.  

I think that’s why pick players like these cabs for Grindy tones. 

Also these cabs take a fair bit of punishment. I had some SWR 15s that would blow as soon as you looked at them  

Cheers for the reply Mr Tiger, 

I've been humming and harring over what to get next but I do remember a 1x15 with a 2x10 ( be that Marshall ) had the nice deep low but able to handle that mid range bite and sparkle. I'm not sure if this is just myself in my head remembering it differently but it was noticeable at venues etc . 

I've had 2x10's since then with Ampeg PF cab's etc  , but currently got a crappy TC Electronic 4x10 to throw around and abuse ( £80! ) . Just a future venture of looking around , its just the prices that off put me even touching a new cab sadly as they all seem to be crap chip board and a " off shore " speaker :/ 

• Like 1

I gigged the 1x15 and 2x10 set up this weekend. Not the fairest test because it was an outdoor gig under a gazebo with no sides or back. In the rain, under thunder and lightning!! But the sound may have got "lost" easily.

Initial impressions are that the sound was not as warm and full as the 2 1x15 config. Also nowhere near as loud. Not remotely close. But an indoor gig is the real test of that. The 2x10 is the same ohms and wattage as the 1x15 it replaced.

What it did give me though was more definition and control on the highs. So higher notes cut and rang well but didn't overpower, I often struggled to control the treble on the 2 1x15 set up, it was either way too dominant or lost. This meant that I played a lot of slapped fills, far more than I ever would have before, but I guess my new set list had a part to play in that too. I didn't play any songs with a pick this time as I couldn't be bothered dealing with the required volume tweaks. I didn't bother using the ashdown built in overdrive having just got a bass soul food, I think the 2x10s helped the boost and drive from that pedal but can't compare it to the old two fifteens rig.