Why become a member? ×

2 x 15" set up

Kevin Dean

I run 2 x15” cabs most of the time now. The Ampeg HLF410 has some serious low end happening which I’ve used a fair amount but it’s a big lump to lug around!! 

It’s like CD’s vs Vinyl. 15’s are like vinyl, you also ‘feel’ rich, warm bass extension. 😋

Edited by VAMPYRE 5
  • Like 1

I have used 2 x 15 pretty much my entire playing career. Started with a couple of 'lesser' cabs (Impact and HH) but the epiphany (or is that epiphone) was an old Ampeg V4 2 x 15. Wonderful sound and I went from that to a Boogie Diesel cab which I used for about 28 years until I bought my current pair of Subway 15s. I had a brief flirtation with a pair of BF Compacts but it didn't last long.

They've always been my sound and I still love it.

• Like 2

Just gigged my Greenboy Fearless Dually 2x15 (built by Tricky Audio)  - as always, very easy to load in and out of the car and roll through a crowded beer marquee (or pick up and waddle with for a while where needed!). A lovely tone from the Faital 400s, suits a P in a blues/rock/soul combo beautifully.

But most importantly, the colour matches the bass ;)

39990632610_71dd96b153_b.jpg

• Like 6

Have used 15s in the past and liked them. But there are still those who think that frequency response and transient response are linked to cone size, which is not necessarily the case. I've used 10s that can vibrate the building and hit you in the chest - admittedly they were in an 8X10 cab being powered by an SVT-CL, but you get the point...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

To underline the point about cone size and sound not being equatable, I had a 2x15 Schroeder cab which sounded like very little else...other than another Schroeder cab. 

If you think a 15 sounds like a 15, you're mistaken, I'm afraid. If you think a 15 (or 2x15) in a particular size and shape of cab sounds like another brand of 15-loaded, similarly-sized/shaped cab, then you're much nearer.

Edited by Muzz

I would love a 4 ohm Mesa 2x15. Far too expensive, far too heavy, completely unnecessary,  not very practical and inefficient compared to modern  lightweight design. However I have a Trace Elliot V6 that is also all of these things and I think that the two pieces of gear would be a perfect match. The amount of heft on tap would override all other negatives.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Steve Browning said:

You could get an old Diesel cab for not very much. Ok, a bit heavy but they're awesome cabs. Here it next to the Subway 15s that replaced it (eventually).

20170424_184139.jpg

The 400 and the Diesel rig would be perfect for me... if I had my own rehearsal space and it never ever had to move it.

I have reached the stage where if I can't do only 1 trip from the car then I don't take it with me.

Whenever I play through 15s, I realise that, whilst modern, compact cabs have a lot going for them - clarity, punch, tonal accuracy, etc - there is something missing. Warmth, heft, feeling the sound, call it what you will, it is very satisfying. I used to run a Bassman 135 and later a Trace AH350 through a 2x15 (with original rubbish Fender speakers replaced by Peavey Black Widows) and you could just lean back on the sound and luxuriate in it. Lovely. I keep thinking I should try a 15 to augment my PJB cabs to give me the best of both worlds.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Steve Browning said:

You could get an old Diesel cab for not very much. Ok, a bit heavy but they're awesome cabs. Here it next to the Subway 15s that replaced it (eventually).

20170424_184139.jpg

I have a bit of amp and cab envy there!

2 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

I realise that, whilst modern, compact cabs have a lot going for them - clarity, punch, tonal accuracy, etc - there is something missing. Warmth.

...and you could just lean back on the sound and luxuriate in it. Lovely.

Lovely @Dan Dare indeed. 👍🏻

0EED5CAD-8F34-4C5C-88FB-2181F30D3797.jpeg

E426CBD4-E836-4802-8D75-2D35B8B1A2EA.jpeg

• Like 2

I used to gig with 2 x 15" Vitavox in W bins and a 2 x 12 " Maine combo on top.

Sounded fine but was LOUD. It needed to be loud because of the loud drums.

I'm much happier with everyone taking it down a bit and letting the PA do the work....

Edited by Bigguy2017

I've run 2 separate 1*15s very recently. Firstly using an Ashdown Rootmaster 1*15 as an extension cab to a Mag 300 combo, then two Rootmaster 15s powered by a Rootmaster 500 head. Never needed the amp above "1" or "2" with full band and got a HUGE deep and rich sound. Always had the tweeter off. Regretted selling one of the cabs a while back and bought the first Rootmaster cab I saw at the right price, which unfortunately is a 2x10 instead of a 15. 

These are modern, lightweight compact cabs and the sound of two of them together was superb. I play fingertyle 90% of the time. The cabs weren't all deep rumbles either, got some good articulate sounds from them, including with fretless. 

You don't see many 2x15 set ups these days but I'd happily be doing it right now.

• Like 1