Why become a member? ×

I stole this from No Treble.

rogerstodge

10 hours ago, machinehead said:

Wonderful playing - both the bass and the drummer.  I really enjoyed that.

Frank.

Yeah, agree. Both have excellent control in their technique as well.

A couple of guys on top of their game.

Edited by lowdown

To me this ably demonstrates why the bass guitar is not a solo instrument - or if you're going to be picky/pedantic, as I'm sure someone will, an instrument on which solos are performed.

No matter how refined, meticulous, accurate and controlled the techique is, the actual noise the instrument produces is pretty unpleasant.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bassassin said:

To me this ably demonstrates why the bass guitar is not a solo instrument - or if you're going to be picky/pedantic, as I'm sure someone will, an instrument on which solos are performed.

No matter how refined, meticulous, accurate and controlled the techique is, the actual noise the instrument produces is pretty unpleasant.

Glad I didn't follow the link for two reasons then.

6 hours ago, Bassassin said:

the actual noise the instrument produces is pretty unpleasant.

I love the word 'noise', it always reminds me of the 'Sir Thomas Beecham' quote. It tickles me for some reason.

(not aimed at you by the way)

"It is quite untrue that British people don't appreciate music. They may not understand it but they absolutely love the noise it makes."

:D

Edited by lowdown

2 minutes ago, FDC484950 said:

Er... Alain Caron, years and years ago. More to the point: why would you want to? Personally despite the technical prowess in the link above it sounds awful. Very little musical substance, just fancy technique.

Oh yeah, that is true! I guess it's all a totally subjective thing. 
I forgot this existed. 

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, FDC484950 said:

Er... Alain Caron, years and years ago. More to the point: why would you want to? Personally despite the technical prowess in the link above it sounds awful. Very little musical substance, just fancy technique.

I agree, whilst technically brilliant where is the melody? Music needs to be appreciated by non-musicians too.

Proof of the saying - just because you can, doesn't mean you should. 

2 hours ago, BreadBin said:

I agree, whilst technically brilliant where is the melody? Music needs to be appreciated by non-musicians too.

Proof of the saying - just because you can, doesn't mean you should. 

The melody is there.

It’s been a chops workout on Bass Gtr since Jaco burst onto the scene.

Joe Pass & Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen gave it a good going over as well.

Edited by lowdown

13 hours ago, Bassassin said:

Regarding this clip, and indeed most bass solos, I agree with you. However there are some really nice melodic bits out there that aren't a case of technique over taste. All a matter of individual preference of course.

This is my personal favourite: