Why become a member? ×

CHICAGO'S First Album

Coilte

Ah you mean this - this is my extremely worn original version - bought on the back of the chart hit single - I'm a Man.

And yes agreed - great album - some excellent bass playing amongst other things (always loved Terry Kath's guitar playing and sound also)

image.thumb.jpeg.5fc1a09737a881d26b6b0f5ff5d00749.jpeg

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, drTStingray said:

Ah you mean this - this is my extremely worn original version - bought on the back of the chart hit single - I'm a Man.

And yes agreed - great album - some excellent bass playing amongst other things (always loved Terry Kath's guitar playing and sound also)

image.thumb.jpeg.5fc1a09737a881d26b6b0f5ff5d00749.jpeg

Yes...thats the album. I also have a worn vinyl original. ;) What strikes me most about the album today, is how fresh and new it still sounds. While I have always been a Chicago fan, my interest waned after their fifth album when they became more radio friendly. The rhythm section of Cetera and Seraphine was sublime, and IMO the band were never the same without Kath.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just spotted this thread! I'm a huge Chicago fan - particularly of the amazing bass playing/vocals of Peter Cetera (hence my name on here). For me, he took the best elements of Motown and McCartney basslines and progressed them further in a jazz-rock environment, aided by the fantastic Danny Seraphine on drums. Add the much missed and hugely underrated Terry Kath on guitar (and Ray Charles-esque vocals) and you had imho the FINEST power trio ever in rock! Yes, better than Hendrix/Cream etc.....

Further add all the great songs and a kickass horn section and you have the now legendary Chicago 'sound'. Just fantastic! :)

• Like 1

One of the first 45's I ever bought was 'I'm a man' by Chicago, on the old orange CBS label. It had this amazing song on the B side, which blew my 11 year old mind at the time. Didn't get the first 1.15 of piano TBH, but then when the full thing kicks in, wow! Swings like crazy, and started me off in my appreciation of great brass sections. 

• Like 2

For some reason I had it in my head that Chicago were a 70s/80s prog band.

Nothing wrong with that but it's not really my thing.

Thanks to this thread I've now realised my funky error  and will be checking out a lot more of their stuff.

Edited by Cato
  • Like 2

Like Cato, and coming of age in the 80s I remembered Chicago for soppy, overblown, over produced AOR dreck... which to be fair was no worse than their peers at the time.

So I had to get on Spotify to find out what these BC lunatics were going on about. It's pretty tidy, totally not what I expected. More like Tower of Power than 80s hair rock. I'm liking this a lot... thanks!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NickD said:

Like Cato, and coming of age in the 80s I remembered Chicago for soppy, overblown, over produced AOR dreck... which to be fair was no worse than their peers at the time.

So I had to get on Spotify to find out what these BC lunatics were going on about. It's pretty tidy, totally not what I expected. More like Tower of Power than 80s hair rock. I'm liking this a lot... thanks!

IMO they went a bit down hill after their first five or six albums. Music became too radio friendly.

• Like 2

Netflix has a Chicago documentary in their library right now. I watched it the other day, not really knowing much about the band other than the Cetera-sung ballads from the early 80s. 

Damn, those boys can play... 

😁

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Grassie said:

Netflix has a Chicago documentary in their library right now. I watched it the other day, not really knowing much about the band other than the Cetera-sung ballads from the early 80s. 

A good read for anyone interested in the story of Chicago ( from  drummer Danny Seraphine's point of view) :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Street-Player-My-Chicago-Story/dp/0470416831

Edited by Coilte
  • Like 2

Oh you wonderful  people,  I have the original  vynil LP,  and recently  bought a brand new cd for four quid to play in the car. I can play 25or6to4, but only know half of does anyone know what  time etc,  my dad's dance band  did a version of  this one altered so you could swizzle  around the floor to it, I'm guessing waltz, my dad said the double bass  player was always better "if he stopped using that bloody bow"

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, these guys are awesome. Check out all their vids - they sound more accurate to the original songs than the current incarnation of Chicago themselves!

2 minutes ago, stevie said:

There's an astonishingly good tribute band here. From Ukraine of all places. Great sound quality and excellent musicianship.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, stevie said:

There's an astonishingly good tribute band here. From Ukraine of all places. Great sound quality and excellent musicianship.

A great tribute band indeed. 

A piece of trivia that some people might not know...

Ever wondered where the title of this song came from ?  Seemingly, as Robert Lamm put the finishing touches to writing the song, he looked at his watch and noticed it was 25 or (2)6 minutes to four....in the morning !!!! 

Edited by Coilte