Why become a member? ×

'Reincarnate' 4 string bass build FINISHED!!

Jimothey

22 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

Right decision IMO. Regards to the fretboard...isn't Pau Ferro a lighter colour than Rosewood. Would be a closer match - less is more...

I've got a rosewood or a maple neck that I could use on this build so it's going to be out of them 2....... 😀 

Just now, Jimothey said:

Yeah it looked and felt OK when I sanded it to 240 but I think your right it needs a bit more maybe to 320 or even higher?? 🤔

It looks to me like you haven't got rid of all of the paint residue - makes is look a little bit dirty and uneven.  Some of that might be the oil soaking in differentially, but just look at the original - it's quite an even and clean grain.  Just a bit more sanding at 240 to really get past the grey finish is more what I was thinking...

• Like 1

I've spent most of the morning sanding down the body so I'll start Danish oiling it at lunchtime today hopefully that has sorted out the uneven patchy/darker bits and sanding marks.......... 😀 

Edited by Jimothey
  • Like 1

I've managed to get some Danish oil on now, when I sanded the top it helped with the wobbly bridge so that now sits flush with the body so no need to recess it now......... 

_20181018_124024.thumb.JPG.0cda8039ac6dda8730ab407c36715df3.JPG

The middle section on the back must be more open grained as the whole back was sanded to 320 grit but it's still a lot darker than the wings but I kinda like the difference.......... 

_20181018_123839.thumb.JPG.224def6695e4f565cda04fc3bfd67ead.JPG

I also need to shape the back of the neck where it joints just to give it of a more attractive transition............ 😀 

Edited by Jimothey
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Jimothey said:

I've managed to get some Danish oil on now, when I sanded the top it helped with the wobbly bridge so that now sits flush with the body so no need to recess it now......... 

_20181018_124024.thumb.JPG.0cda8039ac6dda8730ab407c36715df3.JPG

The middle section on the back must be more open grained as the whole back was sanded to 320 grit but it's still a lot darker than the wings but I kinda like the difference.......... 

_20181018_123839.thumb.JPG.224def6695e4f565cda04fc3bfd67ead.JPG

I also need to shape the back of the neck where it joints just to give it of a more attractive transition............ 😀 

That looks much better to me :). And I'm so pleased you are back with, and happy with, this overall look ;)

Yeah I've just pink torpedoed the body to the highest level!! Hogging out the cavity needed to leave 5mm and had a momentary lapse of concentration and went a tad too deep!! 😱😠🤬😠🤬😠🤬😠

I can't think of a way to save it? I don't want a pickguard so I might have to remake the body completely!! 😭😭_20181022_163725.thumb.JPG.225261fd659204065b62182900063b89.JPG_20181022_163704.thumb.JPG.ba447d42ca5e97b42a7fbfc9789bfa70.JPG

Edited by Jimothey
  • Sad 3

42 minutes ago, BreadBin said:

Whoops! You need a veneer. 

I was thinking that would be the only way to get over it but I didn't really wanted to go down that route as unless I get pine and sapele veneers it's going to look odd on the sides??......... 

Do you know how violin tuners are fixed after the largest pegs turn loose? Could you do something similar here?

Fill the hole (and maybe put a veneer underside for extra support?) with the same wood and glue it to its place. Sand to the same level. No one sees it anymore, if not you. You still have some wood left, don't you?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, itu said:

Fill the hole (and maybe put a veneer underside for extra support?) with the same wood and glue it to its place. Sand to the same level. No one sees it anymore, if not you. You still have some wood left, don't you?

I can't belive I didn't think of that!! 🙄

I'll give that a go tomorrow cheers!! 😁 

11 hours ago, itu said:

Do you know how violin tuners are fixed after the largest pegs turn loose? Could you do something similar here?

Yes - good suggestion.  Taking old guitars and basses to bits makes you realise how many times oopsies appear in hidden places ;)

• Haha 1