Why become a member? ×

'Reincarnate' 4 string bass build FINISHED!!

Jimothey

3 hours ago, Jimothey said:

Don’t tempt me I might just do that!!! :biggrin:

Seriously.

I often wondered about using blockboard with a combination of Purple Heart and a suitably contrasting other timber.  You can buy large chopping boards made that way that would take some of the labour out of it but without the full Battenberg effect.

If you are a joiner with access to the full workshop, I shouldn't have to tempt you much.  I'd imagine care would be needed to use a combination of timbers with similar shrink rates and seasoning times.

Wotcha reckon?

Edited by SpondonBassed
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jimothey said:

Got the routing done except for the bridge I’ll wait till I get that first 

Funny you say that, that’s what I have done I had the same thought last night (great minds and all that!!) 

The arm rest is ok I kind of play with my arm diagonal anyway as I find that more comfortable 

Got the first coat of poly on, I was going to go Matt but I think this one should be gloss and looking at my last build I’m going to refinish that one gloss as well when I move the bridge,

719501EE-836F-46A7-8E0D-4B060E84FD11.thumb.jpeg.6fa024648eed84741ca9bec011ab934f.jpeg

Just in case anyone notices I’ve still got the clean up the bottom of the neck pocket.........

When the bridge is sunk to depth your minor error will become a nice feature with the oblique cut through one corner of the bridge rebate.  Nice.

20 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

Seriously.

I often wondered about using blockboard with a combination of Purple Heart and a suitably contrasting other timber.  You can buy large chopping boards made that way that would take some of the labour out of it but without the full Battenberg effect.

If you are a joiner with access to the full workshop, I shouldn't have to tempt you much.  I'd imagine care would be needed to use a combination of timers with similar shrink rates and seasoning times.

Wotcha reckon?

I was seriously considering doing a body that I would split into 4 sections and kinda battenburg it with contrasting timbers but I bottled it and did this body instead, I might give it a go tho!! 

In regards to shrink rates etc that’s why I like using sapele and pine as they are similar :D

Edited by Jimothey

10 minutes ago, T-Bay said:

Excellent work and very fast! Puts some of us to shame.

Thanks

I have the luxury of being in a joinery shop 5 1/2 days a week if I’ve not got a lot going on at work I get the time to get on with it :D

22 hours ago, Jimothey said:

Got the routing done except for the bridge I’ll wait till I get that first 

Funny you say that, that’s what I have done I had the same thought last night (great minds and all that!!) 

The arm rest is ok I kind of play with my arm diagonal anyway as I find that more comfortable 

Got the first coat of poly on, I was going to go Matt but I think this one should be gloss and looking at my last build I’m going to refinish that one gloss as well when I move the bridge,

719501EE-836F-46A7-8E0D-4B060E84FD11.thumb.jpeg.6fa024648eed84741ca9bec011ab934f.jpeg

D78A6EB7-6AFB-4294-8933-0E4E52A99918.thumb.jpeg.384842ceb5742e1cbee3e1a578f9a568.jpeg

Just in case anyone notices I’ve still got the clean up the bottom of the neck pocket.........

Beautiful...

2 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Coming on nicely. What gloss are you using?

I’m using just hardglaze again as I thought the my Jazz bass came out ok?, I’m just going to do the same as I did before, 3 coats then flatten it then do a final thinned down coat and wipe it on.........

Edited by Jimothey

54 minutes ago, Jimothey said:

I’m using just hardglaze again as I thought the my Jazz bass came out ok?, I’m just going to do the same as I did before, 3 coats then flatten it then do a final thinned down coat and wipe it on.........

Certainly did come out OK :)  Looks like this will too

• 2 months later...

I've got too many other projects on the go and not enough funds to complete them so I've decided to sell this body if anyone is interested pm me for more details and maybe a cheeky offer? 😀

719501EE-836F-46A7-8E0D-4B060E84FD11.thumb.jpeg.6fa024648eed84741ca9bec011ab934f.jpeg.ef8d61da50007c68d28af9bbb749b6fd.jpegD78A6EB7-6AFB-4294-8933-0E4E52A99918.thumb.jpeg.384842ceb5742e1cbee3e1a578f9a568.jpeg.97599a4fe633a0a7b6ae7477d0c80c26.jpeg

Edited by Jimothey

If I win this crappy G4M Harlem X that's on ebay for really cheap that's only 2 miles from where I work! Hopefully I will be taking the parts off of it and using them to finish this project.

The body will have to be altered to fit the P/J pickups so I'm probably going to paint it not entirely sure what colour as yet I'm probably thinking White but we'll have to wait and see.......... 😀

Edited by Jimothey

49 minutes ago, Jimothey said:

The body will have to be altered to fit the P/J pickups so I'm probably going to paint it not entirely sure what colour as yet I'm probably thinking White but we'll have to wait and see.......... 😀

Really?  REALLY?

That would be a great shame...

39 minutes ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Really?  REALLY?

That would be a great shame...

The other option I'm considering is to use the neck but keep the pickups for another project and get the soapbar pickups I planned for this build, but stain the body as I'm not really feeling the look of this body but I'm not sure what colour yet I suppose I could try and lime it to make it white-ish?? 

• 1 month later...

Over the last couple of months I kept on looking at this body and really started to not like the way I'd done it so I decided it is going to be painted Black and I trimmed off a bit of the lower part of the offset waist which I think balances it better it doesn't look so bottom heavy now

_20181012_105027.thumb.JPG.e5fb07a4218c71078f0cc0889907fc24.JPG

I'm going to turn my Orange Jazz into a 5 string so I'm going to use the old 4 string maple/maple block inlay neck off it for this build 😀

• Sad 1

On 12/10/2018 at 11:01, Jimothey said:

Over the last couple of months I kept on looking at this body and really started to not like the way I'd done it so I decided it is going to be painted Black and I trimmed off a bit of the lower part of the offset waist which I think balances it better it doesn't look so bottom heavy now

_20181012_105027.thumb.JPG.e5fb07a4218c71078f0cc0889907fc24.JPG

I'm going to turn my Orange Jazz into a 5 string so I'm going to use the old 4 string maple/maple block inlay neck off it for this build 😀

WHAAAAAT????! 

I'm with The Greek........

Deary me...that's a radical change!

• Thanks 1

Yeah I know its a big change but it's was easier to paint it than to build a new body! But you never know I might change my mind and sand it down and stain it instead 😀

A slight change to the build I'm going to go active with the electrics (nothing special just a 2 band eq off ebay) 

Edited by Jimothey

I think I may have been a bit hasty in deciding to spray it so I've sanded it down and given it a couple of coats of tinted Danish oil, it will probably end up a bit darker by the time I've finished?? 😀

_20181015_094444.thumb.JPG.b9646d83aba5faf732da187bbc0fec23.JPG

Edited by Jimothey
  • Like 5

43 minutes ago, Jimothey said:

I think I may have been a bit hasty in deciding to spray it so I've sanded it down and given it a couple of coats of tinted Danish oil, it will probably end up a bit darker by the time I've finished?? 😀

_20181015_094444.thumb.JPG.b9646d83aba5faf732da187bbc0fec23.JPG

:party:

Right move! :)

The thing is, this has the vibe of an Aria - ref the wood combinations and style - and the shape of an ultra-modern.  Honestly - I think it looks great.  The 'piece de resistance' are the two stripes at the back.  The whole thing is a lovely looking combination - quite unique.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks mate I've got to admit the reaction I got on here did make me think I'm making a wrong decision!! 

I'm thinking would a rosewood board would look better on this instead of a maple?? 

Also I'm thinking of recessing the knobs slightly only 5-10mm tho?? 🤔

11 minutes ago, Jimothey said:

Thanks mate I've got to admit the reaction I got on here did make me think I'm making a wrong decision!! 

I'm thinking would a rosewood board would look better on this instead of a maple?? 

Also I'm thinking of recessing the knobs slightly only 5-10mm tho?? 🤔

Clearly it's all about personal preference, but a rosewood board would give it nice contrast...  And yup, I reckon recessed knobs would look good :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1