Why become a member? ×

Short Scale Lined Fretless?

Frank Blank

A Rob Allen Mouse is a fabulous little bass (30" scale) if an acoustic/upright like tone is what you're after. I love mine, it's a cheeky little thing, the sort of bass that makes you smile when you pick it up!

There are two for sale on BC at the moment which is a very rare occurrence:

Edited by ikay

5 hours ago, ikay said:

A Rob Allen Mouse is a fabulous little bass (30" scale) if an acoustic/upright like tone is what you're after. I love mine, it's a cheeky little thing, the sort of bass that makes you smile when you pick it up!

There are two for sale on BC at the moment which is a very rare occurrence:

Oh sweet baby Jesus and the saints...

On 28/04/2018 at 11:39, ikay said:

A Rob Allen Mouse......... 

A little off topic so I apologise, but what's the idea with the extended fingerboard under the E string? Is it meant as a thumbrest or just design? I'm curious :)

15 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

They do the SWB-1 in fretless but I would prefer a lined neck and I’m not sure I like any of the SWB-1 finishes. If Chowny did a lined fretless version of the SWB Pro I’d order one in an instant.

Howdoo!

Lined / Unlined / Fret board Markers / Clean fretboard / Side dots lined up with frets / Side dots lined up between frets.

Everybody prefers some DIFFERENT combination of those. 

The way we manage fretless is... 

We make fretted basses, and then order a bunch of fretless necks. As the basses are bolt-on, this means if somebody orders a fretless bass - we just have to take it into the workshop and switch the neck.

We opted to make clean board, no fretlines, side dots lined up *on* the fret. Because this seemed to be the most requested option. 

We can't make a half dozen variations of this, because for the factory guys it means constantly changing the jig on the machines and is not practical for economy of scale. It's a constant negotiation with our factory guys on the sizes of runs we make (typically we need at least 6 of each colour, and to make at least 24 of any particular bass. This is less of a problem now than when we started however as we typically order about 50 - 75 basses at a time now)

You can order any of our SWB basses (Swb Pro or SWB-1 active or passive) with a fretless neck on. It's worth noting that the fretless necks are one piece (so if you put one on an SWB Pro you are losing the 5 piece maple and walnut neck). It's also worth mentioning that the fretless necks do not have a colour matched headstock (for obvious reasons)

Hope that all makes sense. 

That said. Fretless SWB is awesome. You should all buy one. Just ask @Happy Jack ;-) 

On 4/30/2018 at 07:59, Chownybass said:

Howdoo!

Lined / Unlined / Fret board Markers / Clean fretboard / Side dots lined up with frets / Side dots lined up between frets.

Everybody prefers some DIFFERENT combination of those. 

The way we manage fretless is... 

We make fretted basses, and then order a bunch of fretless necks. As the basses are bolt-on, this means if somebody orders a fretless bass - we just have to take it into the workshop and switch the neck.

We opted to make clean board, no fretlines, side dots lined up *on* the fret. Because this seemed to be the most requested option. 

We can't make a half dozen variations of this, because for the factory guys it means constantly changing the jig on the machines and is not practical for economy of scale. It's a constant negotiation with our factory guys on the sizes of runs we make (typically we need at least 6 of each colour, and to make at least 24 of any particular bass. This is less of a problem now than when we started however as we typically order about 50 - 75 basses at a time now)

You can order any of our SWB basses (Swb Pro or SWB-1 active or passive) with a fretless neck on. It's worth noting that the fretless necks are one piece (so if you put one on an SWB Pro you are losing the 5 piece maple and walnut neck). It's also worth mentioning that the fretless necks do not have a colour matched headstock (for obvious reasons)

Hope that all makes sense. 

That said. Fretless SWB is awesome. You should all buy one. Just ask @Happy Jack ;-) 

I totally missed this post somehow, even though it answers all the questions I've emailed you about *cleans glasses*.

• 4 years later...
On 28/04/2018 at 10:34, Frank Blank said:

Does anyone own, have experience with, or can recommend a short scale (30” or less) lined fretless bass, electric or acoustic?

Hello,

I'm also looking for that. Only electric though, and preferably in the 2 HH Stingray format.

Oh, and it should not cost more than £300, although I could go further for the right bass.

A lined fretless short scale version of the SBMM Ray4HH would be ideal.

Not asking for too much am I?

How did you get on? Did you get a Chowny?

Pics please.

Edited by berries
Afterthought