Why become a member? ×

Zoom B3n firmware 2.0 - GuitarLab 3.0 editor updates

jimfist

Well, the long-awaited update to the most recent Zoom multi-effects (G5n, G3n, B3n) has finally happened in conjunction with a total overhaul of their companion editor/librarian, GuitarLab.  The original GuitarLab software editor was so feature poor that it was almost embarrassing, and Zoom users have been waiting for them to produce a REAL editor for these effects pedals.  Well, it's here now, and it's a solid offering. 

https://www.zoom.co.jp/news/GuitarLab_v3

GL3_EDITOR_EN.PNG

Zoom also used the opportunity to add some new items to the B3n in addition to an entirely new firmware release (2.0): 

image.thumb.png.3b7785f942c64abf9553822d664673e6.png

• Thanks 1

I've had a very quick look at the Zoom update (on a G3n) and for me the really big news is that they've implemented full MIDI control of the pedal.  (This explains why the editor took longer than many wanted...)

It means that real-time midi control of these pedals should now be possible. I might yet incorporate control of these into the ZPI  if there's much interest.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, drdashdot said:

I've had a very quick look at the Zoom update (on a G3n) and for me the really big news is that they've implemented full MIDI control of the pedal.  (This explains why the editor took longer than many wanted...)

It means that real-time midi control of these pedals should now be possible. I might yet incorporate control of these into the ZPI  if there's much interest.

forgive my ignorance but what would that let you do? the way I'm thinking it would work would let the B3n become a really powerful tool... 

50 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

forgive my ignorance but what would that let you do? the way I'm thinking it would work would let the B3n become a really powerful tool... 

External midi control allows patch change but the ZPI also can control effect parameters (including expression pedal control of any parameter), control other midi pedals, control of DAW, control Zoom pedals by DAW, master tempo control/tap tempo and probably some other stuff I've overlooked.  It becomes very useful when you have more than one pedal under midi control - a single footswitch can make multiple changes on multiple pedals.
It looks like the n-series looper also is controllable by midi (unlike older Zoom pedals.)
Very interesting ... a day ago I was ignoring the n series pedals. Now, maybe not.

(and yes, midi control makes the B3n much more powerful, with the right controller.)

3 hours ago, songofthewind said:

This is very exciting! I've been successfully using Tonelib, which is great. But added MIDI functionality do beat all.

Is this going to make Tonelib redundant, or is there a benefit to downloading / getting to grips with both? 

47 minutes ago, jimfist said:

Current ToneLib is not yet compatible with the new 2.0 firmware, but I've read that the creator is working on a re-write to make them compatible, if you prefer ToneLib over GuitarLab 3.0

It claims to be compatible with G5n, MS-60B and MS-70CDR firmware version 2.0 . As far as I can tell GuitarLab doesn't work at all on the older pedals, so Tonelib is still useful if you don't have a Xn version.

39 minutes ago, jimfist said:

ToneLib has been updated now to work with the B3n.

Excellent. I think therefore the recommended approach is to download the firmware 2.0 / Guitar lab 3.0 but to use the updated ToneLib as the software editor?

I get the impression that the ToneLib still has the edge in terms of usability? What say you jimfist?

I can happily get along with either editor. I say to try both and use the one you like.  The only thing with ToneLib is that it has to keep in step with any developments from Zoom in the future, but that doesn't seem to happen very often.

19 minutes ago, jimfist said:

I can happily get along with either editor. I say to try both and use the one you like.  The only thing with ToneLib is that it has to keep in step with any developments from Zoom in the future, but that doesn't seem to happen very often.

Well that's a helpful steer thanks; but I guess the final thing is that if the GuitarLab 3.0 editor is only for the B3n (and G3n and G5n) and not for the MS-60B, then it probably still makes sense to get to grips with ToneLib as that can deal with both. Makes sense?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pete.young said:

So how can Zoom get away with not publishing the Midi capability of the USB interface? I thought that it was a condition of the Midi licence that you had to publish all the Midi functions that it supported.

Probably because none of these units are purported by ZOOM to be MIDI capable units, and the only way you can access MIDI is by doing home-brew hacks and programming which are not publicly supported/condoned by ZOOM? Just a guess.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe it is a way to balance the levels between two patches that implement the volume/exp pedal, so that you don't have a wild jump in volume up or down. I've not tried this yet myself to confirm how it works, but I believe that is the thinking behind it. A lot of G3n/G5n/B3n users complained about this problem, so it looks like Zoom agreed and did something about it.  Too bad, though, that it eats up a slot in the signal chain.

On 5/12/2018 at 16:25, jimfist said:

I believe it is a way to balance the levels between two patches that implement the volume/exp pedal, so that you don't have a wild jump in volume up or down. I've not tried this yet myself to confirm how it works, but I believe that is the thinking behind it. A lot of G3n/G5n/B3n users complained about this problem, so it looks like Zoom agreed and did something about it.  Too bad, though, that it eats up a slot in the signal chain.

Forgive my ignorance but is this OutputVP only accessible through MIDI ?

On 5/12/2018 at 16:25, jimfist said:

Help! I think I must have contracted 'Auld-timers" (?) Please can someone explain the difference between DSP % and DSP power, if there is one.

I have tried to add the OutputVP (DSP 3%) to patches showing DSP 45% (total 48%,   I can still add up!) only to find the "Process Overflow" message.

I have not tried to add it to any 7 effect patches, but get the same result on 4 & 5 effect patches, all showing less than Dsp 100%.

Can any kind person explain ?

I'll just give matron a call and book a bed by the window......................

20 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

I can't find output VP as an effect to add - am I missing something? 

No Luke you are not missing something, I am...........numerous brain cells apparently.

On re-reading jimfists' contribution I think the clue lies in the "implementing the volume/expression pedal" statement, which means of course exactly what it says..........

.............I HAVE TO PLUG IN THE VOLUME/EXPRESSION PEDAL.....!!!!!!

Visiting times are posted in the day room, but don't all come at the same time, that gets Matron very perplexed.

• 6 months later...
On 28/04/2018 at 11:02, drdashdot said:

External midi control allows patch change but the ZPI also can control effect parameters (including expression pedal control of any parameter), control other midi pedals, control of DAW, control Zoom pedals by DAW, master tempo control/tap tempo and probably some other stuff I've overlooked.  It becomes very useful when you have more than one pedal under midi control - a single footswitch can make multiple changes on multiple pedals.
It looks like the n-series looper also is controllable by midi (unlike older Zoom pedals.)
Very interesting ... a day ago I was ignoring the n series pedals. Now, maybe not.

(and yes, midi control makes the B3n much more powerful, with the right controller.)

Have you ever had any luck controlling the n series pedals?

I'm having a go at modifying an old wah pedal to work with my G3n as an expression pedal, and would like the toe switch to be able to toggle the pedal effect on and off.

So far I've got an Arduino able to make patch changes to either my B3 or my MS-60B using a USB host shield and code based on https://github.com/vegos/ZoomG3_ArduinoMIDI .... but the G3n doesn't seem to respond to the same Program Change message.

I guess my next step is to try and work out how to use a USB sniffer and see what GuitarLab is sending to the pedal....