Why become a member? Read more... ×
Check out Guitarchat.co.uk Read more... ×
jimfist

Zoom B3n firmware 2.0 - GuitarLab 3.0 editor updates

Well, the long-awaited update to the most recent Zoom multi-effects (G5n, G3n, B3n) has finally happened in conjunction with a total overhaul of their companion editor/librarian, GuitarLab.  The original GuitarLab software editor was so feature poor that it was almost embarrassing, and Zoom users have been waiting for them to produce a REAL editor for these effects pedals.  Well, it's here now, and it's a solid offering. 

https://www.zoom.co.jp/news/GuitarLab_v3

GL3_EDITOR_EN.PNG

Zoom also used the opportunity to add some new items to the B3n in addition to an entirely new firmware release (2.0): 

image.thumb.png.3b7785f942c64abf9553822d664673e6.png

• Thanks 1

@jimfist - thanks v much for sharing that. Looking forward to getting the firmware downloaded.

I've had a very quick look at the Zoom update (on a G3n) and for me the really big news is that they've implemented full MIDI control of the pedal.  (This explains why the editor took longer than many wanted...)

It means that real-time midi control of these pedals should now be possible. I might yet incorporate control of these into the ZPI  if there's much interest.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, drdashdot said:

I've had a very quick look at the Zoom update (on a G3n) and for me the really big news is that they've implemented full MIDI control of the pedal.  (This explains why the editor took longer than many wanted...)

It means that real-time midi control of these pedals should now be possible. I might yet incorporate control of these into the ZPI  if there's much interest.

forgive my ignorance but what would that let you do? the way I'm thinking it would work would let the B3n become a really powerful tool... 

50 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

forgive my ignorance but what would that let you do? the way I'm thinking it would work would let the B3n become a really powerful tool... 

External midi control allows patch change but the ZPI also can control effect parameters (including expression pedal control of any parameter), control other midi pedals, control of DAW, control Zoom pedals by DAW, master tempo control/tap tempo and probably some other stuff I've overlooked.  It becomes very useful when you have more than one pedal under midi control - a single footswitch can make multiple changes on multiple pedals.
It looks like the n-series looper also is controllable by midi (unlike older Zoom pedals.)
Very interesting ... a day ago I was ignoring the n series pedals. Now, maybe not.

(and yes, midi control makes the B3n much more powerful, with the right controller.)

This is very exciting! I've been successfully using Tonelib, which is great. But added MIDI functionality do beat all.

A small thing, but does anyone know if the signal chain can be switched to run right to left?

3 hours ago, songofthewind said:

This is very exciting! I've been successfully using Tonelib, which is great. But added MIDI functionality do beat all.

Is this going to make Tonelib redundant, or is there a benefit to downloading / getting to grips with both? 

Current ToneLib is not yet compatible with the new 2.0 firmware, but I've read that the creator is working on a re-write to make them compatible, if you prefer ToneLib over GuitarLab 3.0

47 minutes ago, jimfist said:

Current ToneLib is not yet compatible with the new 2.0 firmware, but I've read that the creator is working on a re-write to make them compatible, if you prefer ToneLib over GuitarLab 3.0

It claims to be compatible with G5n, MS-60B and MS-70CDR firmware version 2.0 . As far as I can tell GuitarLab doesn't work at all on the older pedals, so Tonelib is still useful if you don't have a Xn version.

Well, I've just loaded v3 up, and it seems to work OK, apart from a nag screen telling me to connect to the internet. I added the v2 firmware with no problems.

The editor and general layout is not as intuitive as Tonelib.

39 minutes ago, jimfist said:

ToneLib has been updated now to work with the B3n.

Excellent. I think therefore the recommended approach is to download the firmware 2.0 / Guitar lab 3.0 but to use the updated ToneLib as the software editor?

I get the impression that the ToneLib still has the edge in terms of usability? What say you jimfist?

I can happily get along with either editor. I say to try both and use the one you like.  The only thing with ToneLib is that it has to keep in step with any developments from Zoom in the future, but that doesn't seem to happen very often.

19 minutes ago, jimfist said:

I can happily get along with either editor. I say to try both and use the one you like.  The only thing with ToneLib is that it has to keep in step with any developments from Zoom in the future, but that doesn't seem to happen very often.

Well that's a helpful steer thanks; but I guess the final thing is that if the GuitarLab 3.0 editor is only for the B3n (and G3n and G5n) and not for the MS-60B, then it probably still makes sense to get to grips with ToneLib as that can deal with both. Makes sense?

• Like 1

So how can Zoom get away with not publishing the Midi capability of the USB interface? I thought that it was a condition of the Midi licence that you had to publish all the Midi functions that it supported.

4 hours ago, pete.young said:

So how can Zoom get away with not publishing the Midi capability of the USB interface? I thought that it was a condition of the Midi licence that you had to publish all the Midi functions that it supported.

Probably because none of these units are purported by ZOOM to be MIDI capable units, and the only way you can access MIDI is by doing home-brew hacks and programming which are not publicly supported/condoned by ZOOM? Just a guess.

The release notes for the firmware state:

Added OutputVP that takes over the volume setting when switching patches

Does anyone have any idea what this actually means?

I believe it is a way to balance the levels between two patches that implement the volume/exp pedal, so that you don't have a wild jump in volume up or down. I've not tried this yet myself to confirm how it works, but I believe that is the thinking behind it. A lot of G3n/G5n/B3n users complained about this problem, so it looks like Zoom agreed and did something about it.  Too bad, though, that it eats up a slot in the signal chain.

On 5/12/2018 at 16:25, jimfist said:

I believe it is a way to balance the levels between two patches that implement the volume/exp pedal, so that you don't have a wild jump in volume up or down. I've not tried this yet myself to confirm how it works, but I believe that is the thinking behind it. A lot of G3n/G5n/B3n users complained about this problem, so it looks like Zoom agreed and did something about it.  Too bad, though, that it eats up a slot in the signal chain.

Forgive my ignorance but is this OutputVP only accessible through MIDI ?

OK, I know I am a "Richard" head, just found it in the effects pool.

Take my advice just tread water when you get to 65ish, don't go further........ stay forever young !

On 5/12/2018 at 16:25, jimfist said:

Help! I think I must have contracted 'Auld-timers" (?) Please can someone explain the difference between DSP % and DSP power, if there is one.

I have tried to add the OutputVP (DSP 3%) to patches showing DSP 45% (total 48%,   I can still add up!) only to find the "Process Overflow" message.

I have not tried to add it to any 7 effect patches, but get the same result on 4 & 5 effect patches, all showing less than Dsp 100%.

Can any kind person explain ?

I'll just give matron a call and book a bed by the window......................

I can't find output VP as an effect to add - am I missing something? 

20 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

I can't find output VP as an effect to add - am I missing something? 

No Luke you are not missing something, I am...........numerous brain cells apparently.

On re-reading jimfists' contribution I think the clue lies in the "implementing the volume/expression pedal" statement, which means of course exactly what it says..........

.............I HAVE TO PLUG IN THE VOLUME/EXPRESSION PEDAL.....!!!!!!

Visiting times are posted in the day room, but don't all come at the same time, that gets Matron very perplexed.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Skinnyman
      Now sold
      The Great Clearout continues and She Who Must Be Obeyed has said that it's time to list the next item...
      I bought this new about five or six years ago. It’s in mint condition, full working order and comes boxed with the original power supply, software disk and instructions plus a 16GB SD card (not the 1GB card that is shown on the packaging).

I mainly used this as an Audio Interface and Control Surface (Sonar X1) and, because it was sat on the desk (and because I don’t get round with the Hoover as often as I should), I had a custom cover made for it to keep the dust off (and stop it getting onto the sliders, etc). I’m including this plus a dedicated Zoom R16/R24 soft case (normally £25.00) which is also in excellent condition.

I also used this occasionally as a portable recorder to record rehearsals of new numbers. The eight separate inputs meant I could use this as a DI and Mixer for all the instruments and send a stereo line feed out to the PA. Record the new song at rehearsal, ten minutes to mix down different versions for each of us (no guitar, no vox, no bass, etc) and we could all rehearse our own parts at home during the week. Simples!

I even used it to record the occasional gig and the built-in mics are really impressive – very similar performance to the Zoom handheld recorders we also used on occasion.

Now that I’ve relocated and left the band, I don’t need it for recording purposes and I’ve upgraded all of my home recording stuff so this is now surplus to requirements. It’s a brilliant bit of kit that will handle pretty much any job.

It’s available for collection in North-East Lincolnshire or I am happy to post within the UK for £10.00. Please get in touch to discuss other options.

Thanks for looking – any questions, please drop me a note.

Details are below but first, here's some pictures;

Here's what a quick Google search turned up about the Zoom R24...

“The R24 can function as an audio interface supporting 8 inputs and 2 outputs, enabling direct input of sounds to a computer. Support for 24-bit/96-kHz encoding ensures high-quality sound and 8 inputs and 2 outputs can be used simultaneously. The internal DSP effects can be used when the sampling rate is 44.1 kHz. A dedicated knob lets you adjust the balance between the DAW playback sound and the direct input sound when monitoring.

Control surface functions for most DAW software

The R24 can be used as a control surface for DAW transport functions (play, record, stop) and mixing operations. You can easily move multiple faders at the same time, which is very difficult to do with a mouse! You can also assign the five function keys to various DAW software commands. Cubase, Logic, Sonar and other major DAW applications are supported in Mackie Control emulation mode.

24-voice sampler with 8 pads and 3 banks

The built-in sampler functions allow you to use audio files on any tracks as loops. Play the pads in real-time and create performance for an entire track by combining loops. Use the display of the audio waveform for visual confirmation when setting loop intervals. Use time-stretching to change the tempo of a file without changing its pitch, and trim unneeded parts of loops. The sampler and recorder can be used together seamlessly, allowing you to record instrument performances while playing back loops on other tracks.

Create your own beats with the powerful rhythm machine

The R24 has a powerful drum machine with 10 types of drum kits that use linear PCM samples. With the touch sensitive drum pads, you can program your own original beats and save up to 511 of them. The rhythm patterns that you create can be used just like the audio loops. You can trigger patterns with the pads and use them in the unit's sequencer to arrange songs. The 472 preset patterns include intros, fills, endings and other phrase variations.

(1) : Synchronization precision is accurate to about 1 to 2 msec. (2) : When using an R16 as the second unit, 16 tracks of simultaneous recording and 40 tracks of simultaneous playback are possible.

Guitar amp modeling and other DSP effects total 150 types

The DSP effects, which include 150 types and 390 patches, can be used for recording, mixing and mastering. Three types of effects - the insert effect and the two send-return effects - can all be used at the same time. You can achieve a powerful amp sound just by connecting a guitar or bass directly to the R24 and using one of the 18 types of guitar amp models or 6 types of bass amp models that have been brought straight from our best-selling G2nu effects unit. You can also use the 8xCOMP EQ effect, which lets you apply compression and EQ to 8 channels simultaneously.

Locate functions make editing easier

Set up to 100 markers and directly move to them whenever you want. Other convenient editing functions include A-B repeat playback of a designated interval and auto punch-in and punch-out.

Versatile inputs for guitars, mics and line sources

The R24 can handle a variety of input sources. The unit is equipped with 8 input jacks that accept both XLR and standard phone connectors, including 6 that can supply phantom power, allowing the use of multiple condenser microphones for serious multi-mic recording. Use the channel with a Hi-Z switch to input electric guitars, basses and other high impedance instruments.

Supports SDHC cards with capacities of up to 32GB

The R24 uses compact and readily-available SD and SDHC memory cards as recording media. Unlike tape and disc recorders, this unit has no motor, making it more resistant to external vibrations and eliminating concerns about mechanical noise.

USB 2.0 Hi-Speed for fast file transfer

The R24 USB 2.0 Hi-Speed port allows WAV files recorded by the R24 to be transferred to a computer quickly and easily. Computer-based tasks, such as editing audio with DAW software, creating original CDs and importing WAV files, can be integrated into your music production.

USB host port for connecting USB memory

USB flash drive or large-capacity external hard disk drive can be plugged into the R24's USB host port. This lets you distribute recordings to band members after a rehearsal and make backups of recordings without a computer.

Features

24-track playback, 8-track simultaneous recording  
      Built-in stereo condenser microphones  
      Records directly to SD and SDHC cards up to 32 GB for up to 100 track hours  
      Records mono and stereo WAV files (16 / 24-bit, 44.1 / 48 kHz sampling rates)  
      Eight balanced mic/line/instrument-level inputs on XLR/TRS combo connectors  
      1 Low-Z input for connection of passive electric guitar and bass  
      +24 and +48V phantom power (6 channels)  
      Dual balanced ¼" TRS output jacks  
      Headphone output with dedicated volume control  
      Built-in metronome and chromatic tuner  
      More than 100 send-return and insert DSP effects, including amp/preamp models and mastering algorithms  
      User editing of effects parameters, with 390 patch memories for storage  
      Independent level, pan, and EQ for each track  
      Internal track bouncing and mixdown of multitrack to stereo  
      Flexible overdubbing and both manual and automatic punch-in/out  
      Loop playback with waveform zoom and user-defined start/stop points  
      Variable playback speed from 50% to 150%, without affecting pitch  
      Up to 100 marks per recording  
      Invert track phase function  
      Trim and Divide file editing  
      24-voice pad sampler (3 banks of 8 pads) with adjustable pad sensitivity  
      Rhythm machine with 160 drum and percussion sounds  
      Storage for 100 user-created rhythm patterns of up to 100 bars each  
      Manual play or step entry of rhythm patterns with adjustable quantization  
      Loop-based audio sequencer integrates recorder, rhythm machine, and pad sampler  
      Backlit LCD with contrast control for easy viewing in low-light environments  
      4-segment LED metering  
      8-in/2-out USB audio interface for Macintosh/Windows computers  
      High-definition 24-bit/96 kHz playback capability with DAW software  
      Control Surface functionality (Mackie Control emulation)  
      Full mixing and transport controls for Cubase, Logic, Ableton Live, and other DAWs  
      Two R24s can be synchronized via USB for 48 tracks of playback and 16 tracks of simultaneous recording  
      USB bus power  
      SD card reader function  
      Runs on 6 AA batteries, with alkaline battery life of more than 4.5 hours  
      AC adapter included  
      Steinberg Cubase LE DAW software included  

R24 USB Audio Interface System Requirements

Windows:

Windows XP SP2 or later / Vista SP1 or later / 7  
      Intel Pentium 4 1.8GHz or better  
      1GB RAM or more  
      USB 2.0 compatible port.  
      Intel Mac:

OS X 10.4.11 or later / 10.5 / 10.6  
      Intel Core Duo processor 1.83GHz or better  
      1GB RAM or more ”  

• By binkybongo
      Virtually mint. More bang for your buck than anything I can think of - really comprehensive range of effects, simulators and even a built in tuner. Price includes UK postage.
      Overview
      99 great-sounding DSP effects plus 12 amp and cabinet models give you all the tools you need to craft stunning bass tones, both onstage and in the studio. Up to 3 effects  can be chained together, and 3 stompbox-style displays—each with its own dedicated foot switch and control knobs—make editing fast and easy. The B3 is the total package, complete with an onboard chromatic bass tuner and integrated rhythm machine / Looper.
      And DI (B3N lacks this facility)
      https://zoom-na.com/products/guitar-bass-effects/bass/zoom-b3-bass-effects-amp-simulator-pedal

• By Crawford13
      Hi Folks, I’m having a massive pedal clear out. All prices include postage. Located in Glasgow if you want to pick up. Any questions please ask.
      Aguilar Tone Hammer DI - boxed with aguilar power supply - SOLD
      Aguilar Octamizer - boxed - £100
      Zoom B3 - boxed with power supply - SOLD
      TC electronic Nova Repeater - boxed - SOLD
      TC Electronic Ditto - Boxed - SOLD
      TC Electronic Sky Surfer Reverb- Boxed - SOLD
      Boss PS5 Super shifter  - £80 (Janek Gwizdala Baby Elephant Pedal)
      Source Audio Envelope Filter - boxed - SOLD
      Warwick Rock Case Pedal Board - £40 (I don’t want to post this)

• By benjifaith
      Zoom B3 In great condition.

Used while I was on cruise ships and was amazing as a all rounder.
      can cover a lot of different sounds that would cost a lot of money in pedal board form, and with a built in tuner it has everything you need.

Selling simply as I've decided to make a pedal board. 

• By MarshallBTB
      Sold. Thanks.