Why become a member? ×

NBD - Musicman Stingray

gjones

I just bought a 2014 Stingray and I really love it.

I have had two USA SUB Stingrays previously but they were quite different basses to this new Stingray. The neck is very different than my SUBs. The necks on those were like baseball bats compared to this one. It's neck is quite shallow front to back and it has a waxed matt finish, which I wasn't expecting. 

It sounds just like a Stingray should, with that that rasp and a real thump in the bass end. Really looking forward to gigging it next weekend!

Edited by gjones
  • Like 2

I've had 3x - the first, built in the 90s, was BI maple neck, well balanced, great tones - an absolute dream to play and I regretted selling it before it had even left me.

The second, a 2006, bought as a replacement shortly afterwards (the dreaded sellers remorse...) didn't compare - plain maple and felt less well made. I had no qualms about selling this one.

The third one was the Japanese EX which I sold recently - lots of positives about it but this was the only one which suffered from the legendary MM "weak G string" - something I hadn't encountered before.

MM Rays seem to belong to one of two schools - either they're really good or they're mediocre - if you get a good 'un, hold onto it...

Ive never played a bad or mediocre one. 

The G string volume thing is often to do with set up issues (mostly), EQ choices (either on the bass or amp or both) - if you scoop an already naturally scooped sound etc etc, or string type/string guage choice. 

1 hour ago, drTStingray said:

Ive never played a bad or mediocre one. 

The G string volume thing is often to do with set up issues (mostly), EQ choices (either on the bass or amp or both) - if you scoop an already naturally scooped sound etc etc, or string type/string guage choice. 

No problem with a weak G string on this one.

I've had many 4 string stingrays but only one that I liked and was the 30th anniversary one. I really want to like them as they are really cool and great sounding basses but there's just something about them that I don't get on with. The 5ers have all been great but there's something about the 4s.

It might be the ceramic pickup that I like and possibly the reason why I love my Sterling.

I really want one of the new models but I must try it first.

1 hour ago, Delberthot said:

I've had many 4 string stingrays but only one that I liked and was the 30th anniversary one. I really want to like them as they are really cool and great sounding basses but there's just something about them that I don't get on with. The 5ers have all been great but there's something about the 4s.

It might be the ceramic pickup that I like and possibly the reason why I love my Sterling.

I really want one of the new models but I must try it first.

I also like my ceramic SR5 - so punchy but can sound quite vintage. I have a new SR5 on order - not due till the Autumn but am looking forward to receiving it - it will be Cruz teal as attached in HH form (but they actually come with a white pg - not sure whether the pick up covers will be white). The 18 v electronics and neodimium pole pick ups will be interesting. 

image.thumb.jpeg.6ba1c25bc568272df2e333a2a576a616.jpeg

Nice, but where are the pics? You know the rules...

Being tight, I've just bought a preloved Ray34CA.  I'm hoping I'll get on better with the Alnico pickup and 2-band EQ than the cermic item on an ealier, now departed, SB14 that didn't quite float my boat.

15 minutes ago, ead said:

Nice, but where are the pics? You know the rules...

Being tight, I've just bought a preloved Ray34CA.  I'm hoping I'll get on better with the Alnico pickup and 2-band EQ than the cermic item on an ealier, now departed, SB14 that didn't quite float my boat.

31441149_10156357053932292_1636987232516571136_n.thumb.jpg.59d68408e3b123d75b3b0ca86997af28.jpg

• Like 1

Put an Aguilar pickup in my Stingray recently, absolutely love it. Kept that Stingray tone but with a better balance, perhaps slightly less highs & lows but lovely across all strings. Well done on your purchase - I prefer the Rosewood necks than the maple I have. 

Edited by Raslee

3 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Congrats, nice bass. Saw a bassist using a `Ray last night, had a great sound, but very untipically `Ray-ish - plenty of mids, subdued top-end, gave a really full sound without being too bassy.

That sounds like typical Stingray to me ;)

(as in, that's what I go for and I use one 90% of the time - a lot of the times when someone 'demos' what they think is a typical Stingray sound to me it sounds blergh)

• Like 1

I stopped gigging my Stingray when we came back from a break between sets to find some p***ed up woman staggering around with it while her friends cheered her on. I've gigged much cheaper instruments since then but I'll have to take her out for a spin soon. I love that guitar!

Edited by Japhet

I keep buying Rays and then selling them because there's just something missing in the sound (for me, obv: YMMV, IMHO and all that), and then I see someone else playing one and I want another. I've had four now, but in the meantime I've kinda scratched the itch with a Nordy Bigman in my one-pickup Shuker (Ray pickup shape, in the right place) which can sound verrrry close to a Ray with the coils paralleled...

They're a very good-looking bass: if I had the spare cash, I'd have another: I'd always have one, even if I didn't use it all that much.

2 minutes ago, Muzz said:

I keep buying Rays and then selling them because there's just something missing in the sound (for me, obv: YMMV, IMHO and all that), and then I see someone else playing one and I want another. I've had four now, but in the meantime I've kinda scratched the itch with a Nordy Bigman in my one-pickup Shuker (Ray pickup shape, in the right place) which can sound verrrry close to a Ray with the coils paralleled...

They're a very good-looking bass: if I had the spare cash, I'd have another: I'd always have one, even if I didn't use it all that much.

Yes, very nice basses, love the playability, I have had 2 but couldn't get them to work for me, always fiddling with the controls. Not sure why as when I have listened back to any live stuff they have sounded nice :)

Enjoy the bass.

On 28 April 2018 at 16:31, gjones said:

31441149_10156357053932292_1636987232516571136_n.thumb.jpg.59d68408e3b123d75b3b0ca86997af28.jpg

Looks great - congratulations.

Tony Levin has said he cuts the mid range on his 5 string Stingray quite a bit, also. I've tried that setting on my 3 band Stingrays and it works well. 

Edited by drTStingray

On 4/30/2018 at 06:51, Japhet said:

I stopped gigging my Stingray when we came back from a break between sets to find some p***ed up woman staggering around with it while her friends cheered her on. I've gigged much cheaper instruments since then but I'll have to take her out for a spin soon. I love that guitar!

And your reaction to that didn't get you arrested?

I admire your restraint!

On 4/30/2018 at 19:46, Muzz said:

I'm the same... but with a Jazz bass.

I've owned more Jazz basses than any other type by far... they just don't quite do it for me, but if I don't have one, I just need to get one. Weird! :D

10 minutes ago, mcnach said:

I'm the same... but with a Jazz bass.

I've owned more Jazz basses than any other type by far... they just don't quite do it for me, but if I don't have one, I just need to get one. Weird! :D

I'm just the same, I keep buying Jazz basses because I feel lost without one or two, but I mostly play Precisions. Right now, though, I am going through  phase where I actually play the Jazz basses!

I recently bought a Fender Precision Elite and a Geddy Lee Jazz bass. I now have a Stingray too and I love them all for their very individual characters. They all sound very different  and also all feel very different to play. The elite has a satin compound neck, the Stingray neck is oiled and waxed and the Geddy Lee has the slimmest Jazz Bass neck know to man. They're all fantastic in their own way and give me quite a conundrum when I have to choose which bass to take to the next gig.

I'll probably end up taking my Squier Precision O.o

9 minutes ago, gjones said:

I recently bought a Fender Precision Elite and a Geddy Lee Jazz bass. I now have a Stingray too and I love them all for their very individual characters. They all sound very different  and also all feel very different to play. The elite has a satin compound neck, the Stingray neck is oiled and waxed and the Geddy Lee has the slimmest Jazz Bass neck know to man. They're all fantastic in their own way and give me quite a conundrum when I have to choose which bass to take to the next gig.

I'll probably end up taking my Squier Precision O.o

After many bass changes, GAS, high & low, 5ers etc etc I've come to the conclusion I must stick to the 'holy trinity' of Jazz , Precision and Stingray....no matter what it all comes back to this for me. I hanker after the other if the trinity is incomplete, i divert to others basses too but keep coming back...I've managed to remain with the holy trinity for 4 weeks...it's like rehab :friends:

15 minutes ago, Raslee said:

After many bass changes, GAS, high & low, 5ers etc etc I've come to the conclusion I must stick to the 'holy trinity' of Jazz , Precision and Stingray....no matter what it all comes back to this for me. I hanker after the other if the trinity is incomplete, i divert to others basses too but keep coming back...I've managed to remain with the holy trinity for 4 weeks...it's like rehab :friends:

4 weeks, congratulations xD