Why become a member? ×

Jeff Beck doc BBC4 2100 and 0125

spectoremg

On 4/27/2018 at 19:46, spectoremg said:

High hopes for this one as he's a guy I know very little about.

I enjoyed the program too.

I have been a long term Yardbird's fan and first saw them live with Eric Clapton in December 1964 when they supported The Beatles at the Hammersmith Odeon.  Jeff Beck was an inspired replacement when Eric Clapton left the group and it was great shame that he left them too. 

I just couldn't wait for the first appearance at the Marquee Club, Wardour Street, London of the recently formed Jeff Beck Group.  I was supposed to be at my Art School classes but wanted to make sure I got a good position.  Arriving at 10am I was the first in line and chose my position on the edge of the stage.  The stage was only two feet high so my position was about as good as it gets.  I believe the date was 11 April 1967 and was a very early concert as Ronnie Wood was still on lead guitar which was for a short period only before switching to bass.

I had to keep my wits about me during the evening to avoid a head injury as their unknown to me singer liked to swing the microphone stand around a lot.

OK so I now know the singer was Rod Stewart and the microphone swinging was his trademark.

During the evening Jeff Beck broke a guitar string, tore it off and dropped it - right into my lap. 

Even after all these years I remember it was a fantastic evening with Jeff Beck and Ronnie Wood playing off each other.  However my close proximity to the group had one drawback - it took me three days to get my hearing back!

I still have the Jeff Beck guitar string which is now mounted in a 16.25" x 12.25" glazed aluminium frame together with a fantastic moody period black and white photograph of Jeff Beck.
Edited by JACKG
  • Like 8

Watched this at the weekend, I thought it was an excellent documentary - lots of interesting stuff relating to his early days which I didn't previously know a great deal about. Some good talking heads too, with the huge respect he has from all the other guitar greats of the 60's/70's clearly evident.

I got into him in the early 80's when my then band's guitarist lent me a copy of Wired, which is still probably my favourite album of Jeff's. I've seen him live twice at the Manchester Apollo, once on the Guitar Shop tour with Bozzio/Hymas and more recently with the Tal/Vinnie band, which was just extraordinary. He's one of those players who oozes musicality and genuinely makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up. Not only that, but he comes across as a totally unpretentious and down to earth bloke. Good stuff.

• Like 2

Just watched this - it's been a long long time since a tv programme has held my undivided attention from start to finish.

Always liked Jeff Beck's playing and the programme opened my eyes (and ears) to several phases that I missed.

Thanks to the OP for the heads-up.

Chris

I always make sure to see Jeff when he comes to Milwaukee. The smaller the venue the better.

Jeff played the rather small Turner Hall

( an old gym from the 50s). I arrived early, real early walked in on their sound check. Here I am, alone with Jeff, Tal and Vinnie. When I realized what I had done I freaked out , turned around and left before I got the boot.

Great night, great show, somehow I ended up standing in front of the stage with Rick Neilson from Cheap Trick.

Blue

• Like 5

53 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

I always make sure to see Jeff when he comes to Milwaukee. The smaller the venue the better.

Jeff played the rather small Turner Hall

( an old gym from the 50s). I arrived early, real early walked in on their sound check. Here I am, alone with Jeff, Tal and Vinnie. When I realized what I had done I freaked out , turned around and left before I got the boot.

Great night, great show, somehow I ended up standing in front of the stage with Rick Neilson from Cheap Trick.

Blue

Nice story Blue..I wish I could ever get lucky like that!

I need to watch this, I’m aware of Jeff Beck but know very little of his work outside his contribution to the Jon Bon Jovi solo album, Young Guns, and playing Johnny B Goode in the film, The Pope Must Die. I assume there is more to his career than all that, though I do think the guitar solos on the Young Guns album are brilliant.

19 minutes ago, BreadBin said:

Jeff Beck, is a legend with an enormous body of work. 

As pointed out in the documentary, he wasn't one to go along with the starmaker machinery.

I wouldn't mix with media types.  There is not enough money in the world to make it worthwhile putting up with that.

Spoiler

Free Man In Paris

by Joni Mitchell

The way I see it he said
You just can't win it
Everybody's in it for their own gain
You can't please 'em all
There's always somebody calling you down
I do my best
And I do good business
There's a lot of people asking for my time
They're trying to get ahead
They're trying to be a good friend of mine

I was a free man in Paris
I felt unfettered and alive
There was nobody calling me up for favors
And no one's future to decide
You know I'd go back there tomorrow
But for the work I've taken on
Stoking the star maker machinery
Behind the popular song

I deal in dreamers
And telephone screamers
Lately I wonder what I do it for
If l had my way
I'd just walk through those doors
And wander
Down the Champs Elysées
Going cafe to cabaret
Thinking how I'll feel when I find
That very good friend of mine

I was a free man in Paris
I felt unfettered and alive
Nobody was calling me up for favors
No one's future to decide
You know I'd go back there tomorrow
But for the work I've taken on
Stoking the star maker machinery
Behind the popular song

© 1973; Crazy Crow Music

Edited by SpondonBassed

Great, unique player; although not a huge fan, especially of his more recent 'underwater' sound, I certainly appreciate his artistry.

Went to see him a few years back at Manchester Apollo, mainly to see Tal. Waited around after the gig with maybe a couple of dozen other people and eventually the band came out and Jeff agreed to sign stuff. The rest of the band got on the bus and Jeff stood off the bus at the door, chatting to fans and signing stuff. I had a pic of Tal I wanted signing so shouted to her and she kindly got up, came to the door of the bus and signed it. I then proceeded to try and have a conversation with her over the head of Jeff and the various fans he was chatting with. At one point I said something to Tal and he obviously thought I was talking to him; he turned and said something to the effect of "sorry, what was that?" and I said "sorry Jeff, I was talking to Tal".

I think it was the next day I realised I'd actually dissed Jeff Beck.  :facepalm:xD

• Like 1

About 4-5 years ago on a normal week day I jumped on the train between London Bridge and Charing Cross to travel between work buildings.

As the train pulled into the platform, Jeff was waiting to get on at the door I was getting off, I assume he was heading back out to Kent.  

I spent a short while waiting for the train to stop and for the doors to open thinking "I know him from somewhere - who is it.....?"

I twigged it was JB as the doors opened.  As I stepped down in front of him, the best I could muster was to doff my imaginary cap at him and say "Mr Beck".

I am rubbish with celebs - especially chalky fingered whammy bending ones....