Why become a member? ×

Aguilar cab prices....say what?!

Musicman20

2 minutes ago, lemmywinks said:

Markbass cabs (especially the tolex covered ones) look great IMO, definitely better than those crusty looking Vox amps either side of you!

Yup, I would agree. Not a fan of the Vox ones at all. We are a right mixed bunch, lead has Vox, rhythm has bright orange Orange and I have the just perfect Barefaced cabs.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Linus27 said:

Markbass cabs less yellow thanks to the suggestion of covering the grills with speaker cloth. Comparison shot.

20180502_181923.jpg

I prefer the one on the right.  Why not try a tweed or patterned grill cloth?  The black looks like a black box.

• Like 2

Never once had anyone come up to me and say:  "son, if only your bass amp wasn't so fugly, we'd have offered you another gig..."

On the other hand had plenty of comments of "that little baby packs a punch!"

That works fine for me.

On 01/05/2018 at 13:04, LukeFRC said:

:useless:

And just to keep Luke happy :) :

Warwick $$ 2007.JPG

Edited by Al Krow
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Never once had anyone come up to me and say:  "son, if only your bass amp wasn't so fugly, we'd have offered you another gig..."

On the other hand had plenty of comments of "that little baby packs a punch!"

That works fine for me.

And just to keep Luke happy :) :

Warwick $$ 2007.JPG

Nice - and supposed to be a pretty amazing combo

7 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

Nice - and supposed to be a pretty amazing combo

500 Watts, 37 lbs, never skipped a beat in over 3 years of gigging. VLE control to provide a more vintage sound, if desired. It is indeed an excellent combo. 

Two points to be aware of / take into account:

Markbass cabs tend to roll off the high end a touch. Gives a more rounded / mellow tone than some of the flatter response cabs eg BF or VK. But works a treat with brighter, more aggressive pups eg the Nords on my Ibby. 

The LM3 heads have a gap in the EQ in the 3kHz to 5kHz range, with the treble being centred at a higher than I'd like 10kHz. Something very easily sorted with an EQ patch on a Zoom MS-60B (or an EQ pedal), if this is a concern. 

But you can pick up one of these, second hand, for around £600 and, remind me, just how much are Aguilar asking for one of their cabs? :)

• Like 1

I’m always very happy when I get to play with my DB112 cabs on a decent stage, they put out a lovely old school round sound.  However, if I had to buy two new replacement 112 cabs, I wouldn’t buy two new ones, as the prices have gone pretty mental and here in Europe there are plenty of reasonably priced alternatives!

• Like 2

On April 27, 2018 at 08:27, Lozz196 said:

I think Aguilar are soon going to be in danger of having priced themselves out of the market.

Apparently good cabs, but their 2x10 is 70 pounds, and too expensive.