Why become a member? ×

RESOLVED: Shipping a bass to Germany

franzbassist

The fingerboard on my Thomann bass is starting to come away from the neck.  They have agreed to repair it and cover return shipping, but I have to get it back to Germany for this to happen, and while I have a very nice soft case I don't own anything suitable to ship it in!

I remember the bass came in a very bespoke cardboard box, with all sorts of foam and odd shaped panels, but that went in the bin long ago.  Presumably I could hire a hard case, but if so, from where?  Any suggestions would be most welcome!

Oh and I did ask if they would cover the cost of a repair completed in the UK but they declined.  Maybe the easiest option is to get it sorted here anyway though: who's good in Hampshire/Surrey?

Thanks

Gareth

Edited by walbassist

My dad was at one time (amongst other things) responsible for mending the 'cellos of Huntingdonshire schools.  There was often a pot of something smelly on the kitchen stove consisting of little grey pellets simmering in slimy juice; I always thought it was boiled down fish bones or something; certainly smelt that way!  It was probably this -> https://www.axminster.co.uk/liberon-pearl-glue-ax22992 .  The idea is that it comes un-stuck under the influence of steam.

Bloke at Andy's Guitar shop put an ebony board on my first electric bass - when I tried to remove the board to get at the truss rod, the board broke.  I asked what he'd used and he said Araldite, cause it won't come unstuck.  The good man spoke the truth .. it f*&ing didn't!

Edited by NickA
additional profanity

25 minutes ago, NickA said:

...Bloke at Andy's Guitar shop put an ebony board on my first electric bass...I asked what he'd used and he said Araldite, cause it won't come unstuck...

Not cool; the man's a fool. Many good instruments have been ruined by this sort of 'bodge'. ¬¬
Just sayin'. 

Oh tell me about it; I pointed out to him that my 150 yr old db was held together with fish glue and he said "yeah well, it'll fall apart eventually".

I then wrecked the neck trying to plane the shards of ebony and glue off the maple.  New neck and board required; from now gone guitar maker Alan Marshall at Northworthy - but at least the truss rod works now .. and it's a very nice neck (super slim but still very stable) and back then was only £170.   Alan no longer makes guitars let alone basses, but his acoustic guitars cost £1000s if you can find one.

On 02/05/2018 at 06:44, walbassist said:

Update: Thomann have said I can have the bass repaired in the UK and they will just refund me direct :)

That's great service from Thomann and certainly the right way to approach it in terms of cost and keeping both parties happy.