Why become a member? ×

Who inspires you most musically, and why?

HazBeen

So, who do you find most inspirational musically and why?

For me it has to be Frank Zappa, for his mind blowing abilities as a composer and bandleader and one of very few who succesfully bridges music and comedy, two things I hold dear to my heart. The sheer amount of compositions and arrangements is impressive, but even more so when you realise they range from 4 bar blues to full on classical.

And an honorable mention goes to my mrs, who for 20 years now has been perfectly happy with me being away several nights a week for what for all intents purposes is an out of control hobby :)

• Like 1

Strangely I'm not much interested in combining music and comedy. For me it's a bit like jam and cheese.  Unless it's John Otway, who nearly gave me a seizure at the Acoustic Festival last year.

If we're talking musicians rather than songwriters (although he is one), currently I'd say Martin Simpson. Always incredible tone and as tasteful as it gets. Hoping to see him live soon.

If we're talking songwriters, then the list would be way too long by half.

Edited by 4000
  • Thanks 1

Aged 11 and bored one summer holiday my Mum's Johnny Cash LPs taught me that songwriting can be funny, sad, happy, hopeful, miserable, poetic and rebellious all at once. Songs like San Quentin and Boy Named Sue set me off looking for other great songwriters. I guess I'm inspired more by a good song than great musicianship or great bass playing, though I do appreciate them both. 

Weirdly, I couldn't play a country baseline to save my life and back when I used to write songs they were not at all country-tinged. But there's just something about the story telling and the wordplay that makes me want to go and write or play a gripping song.

• Thanks 1

Not one particular musician, many! Ranging from Ralph Vaughan Williams, Aaron Copland through to Dave Grusin & Richard Bona.

They all have the melodic, emotional, composing styles that really appeal to my ears.

Edited by lowdown
  • Thanks 1

Ian Anderson, of Tull fame. Soundtrack to my life since 1968. He has written songs in so many genres I sometimes found it difficult to keep up. Before that, the Beatles. Again for the diversity and quality of their material. No one  pushed the boundaries of popular music so far in such a short space of time. Not great musicians but more importantly, super creative musicians. Taught me that creativity trumps chops every time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For most of my life, when listening to music I would listen to the bass.

Those who inspired me the most were people like Mick Karn, Sly & Robbie, Aswad and the 80s "funk scene" though I didn't (and to some degree still don't) who the Bass players were....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dr Robert Moog, Daphne Oram, Delia Derbyshire, Ralf Hutter and the crew at Roland.  Why? Cos at age 6 or so I got turned onto bleeps and whirrs etc from listening to the Dr Who theme , Magic Fly by Space and Autobahn. And I've been annoying the crr@p out of wives, mates  etc ever since with my own sounds and extensive collection of  electronica

Edited by Barking Spiders
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Leonard Smalls said:

Bootsy Collins. Because with him, everything is funky. Even going to the toilet.

Derek Bailey. He showed how music could be so much more than nice little tunes - anything can be music. Even going to the toilet.

Depends what you have eaten, but fair point. :biggrin:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Charlie Harper from The UK Subs is a big inspiration for me now. I was never really into the band, liked them, but not a major fan or anything. But having been on the same bill as them a good few times, seeing how much he is into the music at - 73 now I think - and how much time he has for audience members wanting to chat/have autographs/pics taken with him, after doing it for 40 years, well it shows me the way a real musician conducts themselves. His love for it is evident, and apparently he still tries to write a new song every day. That to me is someone who is doing it for the right reasons. Whenever he is at gigs he literally isn`t left alone the whole time through people wanting those pics/chats/autographs yet never has a bad word to say about anyone, always has a smile on his face.

• Like 5

For me it's Justin Chancellor of Tool, the man writes some breathtaking stuff as part of the band. Showed me that bass doesn't just have to be supportive, it can be just as much an integral and leading part of the song as any other instrument.

Although, I can't mention inspirations without Chris Wolstenholme of Muse. Not as much a songwriter (although he has contributed some great stuff to the band), but his tone is what got me into bass in the first place.

Loads of people have influenced and inspired me over the years, mostly bass player but a few drummers and other instrumentalists too. But as a bass player, I've always been drawn towards the players with a great sense of melody, those who play a line or riff that you hear once and can still hum it to yourself months later. It doesn't matter if it's simple, the feel and melody are more important to me than the technicality of a riff or the number and sequence of notes it contains. For me that means guys like Peter Hook and Bruce Foxton. 

• Like 1

Malcolm Young for keeping it so fat and tight for so long.

For bass, there’s a lot of incredible musicians that I love. George Porter Jr, Paul Jackson, Robert Popwell, Donald Dunn... just to name a few.

It all feels so good.

Edited by PawelG

It varies almost daily, although I have my 'idols' that I blame for helping to mould me as a musician.

For example I felt musically nourished today after listening to the new Lydian Collective album. Some really tasty tunes on there. Sophie Alloway's drumming is superb and the grooves are just stellar.

Tomorrow, who knows. David Maxim Micic? Meshuggah? Jean-Michel Jarre?

I bloody love music x

• Like 2

On 26/04/2018 at 08:27, christhammer666 said:

Devin townsend for me.

I bloody love Dev too, the last 3 gigs I have been to were either DTP or Dev solo.

3 minutes ago, dood said:

It varies almost daily, although I have my 'idols' that I blame for helping to mould me as a musician.

Tomorrow, who knows. David Maxim Micic? Meshuggah? Jean-Michel Jarre?

I bloody love music x

I have to agree with you there, good music can make me laugh, cry or dance around the room. Or all of the above! 

David Maxim Micic is really good, and I have a lot of time for Twelve Foot Ninja too :)

Inspiration 

inspires to what , to listen , to attend , to share emotion , to produce , to reproduce , to record , to write , to have on the playlist?

A simple photograph each month has inspired me to write, perform and record a piece of music. 

To me that is pretty far out , I can now do all that stuff purely because in the depths of the recording section someone had an idea! That is inspirational :drinks:

I have started to try and reflect my own circumstances in my efforts , but one day I will write stuff that is me , it matters not if anyone likes or appreciates it , but it will be me.

A litttle corner of basschat inspires me :D