Why become a member? ×

Fretless with a "slap bar"??

uk_lefty

Years ago I remember reading about a fretless bass with a piece of brass fitted to the fingerboard right at it's very end so that zingy slap and pops could be played on it but with the notes sliding like a fretless. Does anyone have one of these? Is it good or bad?

I looked into it a few months ago.

There used to be a company that sold the plate, it may will have been Wilkes, but I couldn't find anyone currently selling a similar item.

It might be worth PMing a couple of the clever chaps on the Build Diaries thread for ideas on where or how to get something like this made.

There's a few guys with more than decent engineering/machining skills hanging about there.

Edited by Cato
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ezbass said:

I’ve never played one, but The Gallery have one at the moment https://thebassgallery.com/collections/bass/products/wilkes-bass-custom-fretless

Perfect, thank you!

The reason for looking in to it is that I'm toying with having a bass made and can't decide between fretted or fretless, this could be the solution if it's effective and not just a crappy gimmick.

9 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

Perfect, thank you!

The reason for looking in to it is that I'm toying with having a bass made and can't decide between fretted or fretless, this could be the solution if it's effective and not just a crappy gimmick.

In that case Doug Wilkes is your man - great luthier!

• Thanks 1

I used to have a Musicman Sabre with fretted and fretless Gordon necks. The fretless had a brass slap plate at the end of the fretboard which brightened up the slap sound a little but also protected the end of the fretboard. If I was going down the fretless route again I would have one fitted.

5adf9da5a4dd8_MusicmanSabre1979-12.jpg.fbc5d86d0e393a94853c002651c16bb3.jpg5adf9e29b475d_MusicmanSabre1979-12(2).jpg.5bd0edd28cbb35f050a2ed4f17c9c77e.jpg

Edited by Acebassmusic
  • Thanks 1