Why become a member? ×

Eich Bass Board small - subwoofer platform
£325

I used similar, though less sophisticated, sub-bass platforms in the West End musical We Will Rock You, and on arena tours in Sweden with Champions of Rock. It’s a great idea that gives you the missing ‘feel’ when you might have mostly in-ears to rely on, or when there’s little or no amplification permitted on stage. Also handy for home recording or practice to avoid cranking speakers up.

Doesn’t include an amp to drive it with and should probably be run off a reasonably powerful bass amp - 300W and above. It’s similar to the Porter & Davies KT Platform that Dave Swift uses with Jools Holland’s Rhythm & Blues Orchestra.

Sales blurb (edited):

“One of the best tools for bass players who struggle to hear themselves in a mix or have to play at low volume and lose the feel of the bass - ideal for rehearsing silently at home, perfect for recording and amazing on stage for that incredible bass feel that is impossible to achieve from from cabs alone.

“Bass players using In-ear systems on stage suffer from lacking punch and sub frequencies which prevent them from controlling their playing. Some of you might be familiar with this.

“The Bass Board is the ideal subwoofer floor for stages, studio, rehearsal room or even bedroom. Two LFA (low frequency donkey kick) transducers moving more than 10 lbs of mass pump the bass into your body. Feeling your instrument and what you play has never been as intense before. The additional phones-out and the vibration-proof suspension of the base plate let you rehearse at home late at night without bothering your neighbours.

“You can power the Bass Board with a regular bass amp, either as a stand-alone subwoofer or as an addition to your existing cabinet.”

Input & link to other cabs: Speakon/Jack combo-socket

Power handling: 600 Watt/ 8 Ohm

Headphone output: 3.5mm Stereo Jack

Dimensions: (L x W x D):

31.5“ x 23.6“ x 3.9” (80cm x 60cm x 10cm)

Weight:

27.6 lbs (12.5 kg) so pickup in person (or a rendezvous somewhere) is much preferred to shipping it.

Cover included.

DSCF6111.jpg

DSCF6106.jpg

DSCF6110.jpg

DSCF6109.jpg

DSCF6108.jpg

DSCF6112.jpg

DSCF6107.jpg

Edited by neilmurraybass

• 2 weeks later...

Dave Swift, bassist with Jools Holland, talking about the similar platform he uses: "When I’m touring with Jools, I use an Aguilar DB751 Head and a DB410 cab, I drastically reduced my on stage volume as it was becoming problematical, I was ok with that but it started to go down and down until I couldn’t really hear or feel the bass. So I decided to use in-ear monitoring by Ultimate Ears, the clarity and separation was exquisite, but although I could hear the bass, it was like I was in a different county. So I decided to try a Porter and Davis KT Platform which acts like a sub woofer with the bass notes vibrating under my feet. With the in-ears and the platform I now have the ultimate sonic combination.”

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, therealting said:

How good is the isolation from the floor? Will me neighbours really not hear me?

Very good. Better on hard floor but either way it provides a lot of thump without making much noise. You’ll find it doesn’t need turning up much at home as it provides a lot of feel with very conservative volume pumped into it. 

I’m in York if you ever want to try mine. 

• Like 1