Why become a member? ×

Backbeat

Twigman

28 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

And before anybody says, cables do - and will - fail. Especially if they aren't in a fixed installation. Looking at the connection, that could render it useless on a tour. You can't just knock up another cable from the spares box.

Looking at that connection it appears to be just a right angled jack to a straight jack with a T off to another socket. You could just knock up another cable from the spares box in a couple of minutes. As long as the form fitting plug at the backbeat end doesn't stop you doing that (and I am sure one of those really thin right angled plugs would be fine).

13 hours ago, Velarian said:

The right-angle jack plug is described as “offering a smooth form fitting profile”. It looks like this might be somewhat proprietary and I wonder whether other right-angled jacks would fit properly. The cable could become a single point of failure and replacing it could be problematic.

I’m not entirely convinced about this particular bit of the design as it doesn’t seem like they’ve thought through all of the use cases. Time will tell I guess. 

1FFB86AC-6D89-4FE0-B7D0-7797966C435B.jpeg

It looks like it would accept a standard right angle jack, so hopefully that cable can easily be replaced if it fails. This is according to someone on TalkBass who asked BackBeat the question:

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/backbeat-club-for-those-who-silently-rumble.1379309/page-14#post-26041687

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ped said:

A chap on TB says that a couple of other options are still being considered and that the input will take a standard cable too, so you are able to use a custom job if you wanted to. @ybassman are you able to comment?

Yes, you can use any 90 on the input, here's a photo of our Tsunami cable plugged into the jack. And yes, we've been looking at a couple of other options for connectivity at the BackBeat and the bass. 

90jack.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, ybassman said:

Yes, you can use any 90 on the input, here's a photo of our Tsunami cable plugged into the jack. And yes, we've been looking at a couple of other options for connectivity at the BackBeat and the bass. 

90jack.jpg

OK - that's good.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

When BackBeat 2 was announced last year I paid the initial $10 payment. Since then I've decided I don't want to buy the unit but I keep getting email "Invoices" for the remaining payment. I'm not bothered about the $10 but don't really want to incur any further expense. 

Does anyone know if the initial downpayment amounts to a contractual obligation and I'll end up having to pay the full amount or can I just ignore the payment requests now?

2 hours ago, Velarian said:

When BackBeat 2 was announced last year I paid the initial $10 payment. Since then I've decided I don't want to buy the unit but I keep getting email "Invoices" for the remaining payment. I'm not bothered about the $10 but don't really want to incur any further expense. 

Does anyone know if the initial downpayment amounts to a contractual obligation and I'll end up having to pay the full amount or can I just ignore the payment requests now?

I'm ignoring mine for the time being as I'm skint this month

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Velarian said:

I contacted their online web chat support to cancel my order which I had paid for in full and was refunded immediately, including the deposit (in two transactions). 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I’m clearly a bit late to the party with this but just so I’m clear. Does the bass and the IEM signal go into the Backbeat (separate inputs?) and then an output to headphones and one to the amp or PA? I should just look at their website!

22 minutes ago, steviedee said:

I’m clearly a bit late to the party with this but just so I’m clear. Does the bass and the IEM signal go into the Backbeat (separate inputs?) and then an output to headphones and one to the amp or PA? I should just look at their website!

You can practice with headphones plugged directly into the backbeat. But live it just handles the bass.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, stewblack said:

You can practice with headphones plugged directly into the backbeat. But live it just handles the bass.

Just so I understand, for live using IEMs you're not actually using the Backbeat's headphone out, it's the 'vibration' from the unit that makes the difference not the actual audio?

Sorry for being thick! 

1 minute ago, steviedee said:

Just so I understand, for live using IEMs you're not actually using the Backbeat's headphone out, it's the 'vibration' from the unit that makes the difference not the actual audio?

The backbeat is a vibrating thing on your back, so you feel the signal. It also has a headphone output if that is what you want so that you could hear the bass. I use one live, but I don't use its output as my (separate) iem carries the sound of the rest of the band as well as my singing, which is something I want to hear but not feel!

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

The backbeat is a vibrating thing on your back, so you feel the signal. It also has a headphone output if that is what you want so that you could hear the bass. I use one live, but I don't use its output as my (separate) iem carries the sound of the rest of the band as well as my singing, which is something I want to hear but not feel!

Really helpful thanks!

• 6 months later...